The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

PNWjumper beat me to it! I give myself about a month off each fall when the rain starts in earnest, then I'm back to it. Yuck- despise riding in it, but I'm not a native PNWesterner.

Quote Originally Posted by certifiedgirl View Post
    Yuck- despise riding in it, but I'm not a native PNWesterner.
    I am and I still hate riding in it!

I think it totally depends on the horse. I used to ride a track pony who HATED the rain. We worked in all weather, but as soon as a few little drops of rain would fall, he would turn his head away or tuck his nose and you had to use every bit of leg you could to get him to move into it, he would try and whirl around to turn his butt in the direction it was blowing from lol. I've had other ponies who showed displeasure for it and others who didn't seem to mind at all.
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

I agree with PNWJumper. I think my "location" says it all. I used to (and still often am forced to) ride in the rain all the time, and was none the worse for it.

My pony doesn't much like the rain (I know because he's the first in his shed when the threatening drops start coming down), and he'll twist his head in funny ways if it's raining hard enough to get in his ears. My guy after that could not have cared less, we had some our best jump schools in the pouring rain, it gave him a bit more pep that was always much appreciated. With my horse now I've become soft and hate riding in the rain, but his leaser does it all the time (and in her own saddle!).

Here we're a 10-15 minute walk up the road to the indoor ring. I always go up there, but there's several riding schools on my block, and they keep trucking in all but the worst rain. It's just a fact of life here. If you didn't ride in the rain you'd only be riding June-August, if that. Even with the indoor I still have a good long walk in the rain, I'm lucky if we're both dry by the time we're ready to head back home.

One of the wonderful things about horses is being outside and riding. I remember going to work and people saying what awful weather the weekend was and I would be saying " really?".

when I'm doing something I truly love I just don't notice the freezing temps or the rain or the unbelievable heat/humidity. I did have one of those synthetic saddles I used in wet weather though. And no riding in thunder or lightening.

20 years ago, my little event horse got much better dressage scores if there was a little rain during our test. Dressage was the price we paid to get to cross country and we definitely didn't excel at it. His fake "on the bit" routine when it rained did a little bit to improve our marks.

I don't mind a little drizzle if the temperatures are high enough. the old bones just can't take "too cold" but as Chall wrote, "when I'm doing something I truly love, I just don't notice..."

Just as an aside, something I found very interesting from a conference I was at many years ago: From a psychological standpoint, when you are doing something you love, you truly don't notice. I love how riding is used as one of the examples of sport that get you into the 'flow',
    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...need-some-help

Quote Originally Posted by Finzean View Post
    20 years ago, my little event horse got much better dressage scores if there was a little rain during our test. Dressage was the price we paid to get to cross country and we definitely didn't excel at it. His fake "on the bit" routine when it rained did a little bit to improve our marks.

I don't mind a little drizzle if the temperatures are high enough. the old bones just can't take "too cold" but as Chall wrote, "when I'm doing something I truly love, I just don't notice..."
    Too funny. I was just about to post something similar-- Brio tucks her nose into her chest the entire time we ride in the rain. So I have to say that she's not a fan, at all. I'll continue my ride if it starts raining while I'm out there, but I tend to wimp out if it's already raining. I keep my guys at home, so it's easy for me to just go do something else, and ride later after the rain stops.

depends on the horse. Chip will tuck his face away if it's drizzling and he's turned out. He really does not like rain on his face at all. Topp and Scout don't seem to care/notice.

I wonder if a fly mask would help-- anyone try that? At least the rain's not hitting their eyes.

I won't ride in steady downpours but I don't mind a drizzle, rode in it yesterday and we had a good ride! I have a "waterproof" leather saddle that I use for inclement weather or riding at the beach. And rubber reins, and a good waterproof / breathable jacket. I live in the Northeast, and have no indoor, so I'll ride in "weather". As long as the footing is ok and we can actually work, I don't get cold, and neither does my mare, who grows a decent winter coat for a Tb.
    My mare doesn't mind drizzle, but it I try to ride her in windy rainy conditions she will object: when she was a greenie and we were cantering in the rain, she didn't like going into the wind but I made her anyway. She took 4 strides and did a perfect roll-back, and stopped with her butt to the wind. It made me LOL.

She does not like snow in her face, will shake her head and act very annoyed. My friend's mare takes the cake tho. When forced to work in sleet or snow, she'll strike out and bounce and be pretty much insufferable. That happened once as were were riding on the beach. Wind, sleet pellets. That mare was becoming such a spazz, we had to cut the ride short.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Conjure and I like riding in the drizzle we get during fall and winter. I like riding in the summer downpours, too, but I'm having a little trouble convincing Conjure that he enjoys it also.

Quote Originally Posted by Zu Zu View Post
    Rain is fine but my "all time favorite" riding weather is WIND !

Hot summer winds ~

Frosty autumn winds ~

Blustery winter winds ~

Chilly spring winds ~

I love a fast ride in the wind ~

Oh, you make me smile! And you're braver than I am... I swear the wind goes right up under the horse's tail and makes her airborne!

I will ride in a drizzle, no problem. Had a lovely ride early this spring out in the woods on a drizzly day. The mare grew up outside; rain doesn't bother her at all. But snow is even more fun... I am crossing my fingers for real snow this winter...
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

My horse hate the rain and tries to convince me that riding in it will make him go blind.

If he has a mask on for riding in the summer, he's not so bad.

I don't like my saddle getting wet.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    So I love the suggestion made by Come Shine. That's what I need to order for myself too!
    I have that duster too, and it's always tied to the cantle of my western saddle for all day or multi day rides. I also got the button-in or out fleece liner that goes with. Very handy in Rocky Mts in summer, when you can go from 80 and sunny to 30 and snowing in a matter of minutes.

I don't ride in the rain, but that's because where I live, if you wait a day or two, it's gone. But if I lived where it rained a lot, I probably would if it was light. No way am I going to ride in a downpour.

I've ridden quite a few times in the rain. Hey if I have trailered somewhere to ride and it starts to rain, I pull out the Barbour coat and ride. I rode today and it was very heavy mist, drizzly. Had a nice ride although the horses were a little peppy.

Rode in rain yesterday, and my poor saddle fitter had to be in it too. Rode in light drizzle today. Pretty much have to endure rain where I am, unless I take the winter off, and I only have an outdoor arena now (but it's MY arena, all mine!). I have a whole assortment of rain gear, saddle covers, etc. so have no excuse, as I won't melt, but I do skip days that the footing is too soupy. Horses are dealing fine with it. Now the wind, that might change things...we get some brutal winds here at times and that combined with rain and 40 or lower temps might start a rodeo...I'm not looking forward to those days!

I generally don't ride in the rain because where I have lived rain=lightning, and me on a 17h horse in the middle of an open arena is just begging for it, IMO. But if I lived in an area where it was overcast and drizzly for days on end, yes, I probably would.

I did my first prelim dressage and stadium rounds in the pouring rain. We got wet, pony wasn't happy but he is a wimp. The dusters are great, I warmed up for dressage in one and I was all warm and to sty (until I took it off at which point I was soaked to the bone almost instantly).

Back home we have an indoor which is nice but when we need to do a conditioning run and the weather doesn't look good we go out anyway. We might not go as far or as fast but we go and get wet. Where I am now we have no indoor (NW NC) and when it is raining we take a nice hack up the road or just suck it up and ride in the ring as long as it isn't too slick.

this was how wet that dressage ride was: http://www.flatlandsfoto.com/competi...60312-0872.htm