The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you ride in the rain. I don't think my horse cares about the weather

Or maybe he does, what do you think.

I moved my horse to a barn where we have access to fields for gallops, miles and miles of trails for conditioning. Its a private barn, where the owner has a lovely dressage arena (outside) and a lovely longeing pen, and lots of lovely new england style pasture to work out in. Neighbors have hay pasture by the gazillions of acres for gallops.

So I just moved my horse here last weekend. He's been out of work for several weeks (since Sandy) because of bad footing and limited footing at old place. Plans are with new BO, to ride out this weekend but it is misty and rainy.

I want to ride, no indoor around, how many of you ride in rainy weather? My horse is shod in borium, small studs and front snow pads. Currently no snow around here, but he won't slip or be compromise by footing.

I have always had an indoor for work, and this is making me crazy not to be able to ride just because of weather. I've always spent alot of time in the forest I think I'm just going out in the bad weather anyway.

I can't keep letting my horse's condition lapse because of the weather. I want to ride anyway, and if we have gear we can do that, right?

we are in Connecticut so you know where we arelocated.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Absolutely, I have always ridden in the rain! Sometimes the only time I have to ride is THIS time, so off we go, as long as the conditions are not dangerous (e.g., very slick or deep footing, lightning, etc.). Sometimes the workout may have to be modified to account for the footing, but the ride still goes on.

I'm in SC now, but the same was true when living in northern VA, where we did get months of wet, cold ick for winter. I rarely had an indoor, so I learned to make do with what was available and how to figure out ways to meet my conditioning needs safely.

Also, for anyone who competes, it's a good idea to (1) learn how your horse will react to rain, wind, wet, etc. BEFORE you face it at an important show and (2) teach your horse that s/he still has to work, no matter how annoying that misty rain blowing into his/her face might be.
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

1 members found this post helpful.

A ride in summer rain is lovely. One of my most beautiful rides was on a sunny summer day, the storm rolled in and it poured. We were soaked to the skin. It passed and we were in deep forest and the light shining through the wet trees was absolutely breathtaking.

I wouldn't let rain stop me, even on a day like today. It's nice if you have a poncho if your horse will tolerate it. It will at least keep your upper body dry and protect your saddle a bit. I used to wrap a belt loosely around one to keep it from flapping too badly and it would drape over my saddle. I never bothered to try and stay dry on warm days (when i was younger and nothing could make me cold) but this time of year can be a bit raw...
    Last edited by sketcher; Dec. 8, 2012 at 09:14 PM.

I think if it is not pouring, but just drippy, dreary, stuff like today, we will go for a walk out across the fields and find some woods, if we can, and gallop home. He's shod in pads and borium for grip in icy condtions, should be good for some muddy, wet takeoffs. Heck, just walking for several miles is good conditioning, considering the alternative - losing a day of conditioning in a dreary, unpredictable winter.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

Sketcher, I loved you post about the summer rain day. Moments like those are great - isn't it lovely how we remember them forever. I have a moment about riding and finding a pine forest, and downed trees in it, and the snow starting, sifting down, and galloping through it and over the downed trees, and hearing the sifting of the snow. On the way home, we went over slabs of bedrock exposed on an old stagecoach road; passed a old tired lake with beaver pushing limbs into the outlet current to block it up; jumped a rotted tree across the trail, which had'nt there when we had come through three hours earlier. Found a faint logging road up the ridge and waded through a 'puddle' chest deep to cross to the trail again.

You only get these moments by going out and doing it.

I'll put my glasses in my pocket and ride out this afternoon.

I ride in light drizzle, but the horse's saddle is a nice one and belongs to his owner, and i don't know if she'd love for it to get soaked just because I wanted to hack around.
    When I was at a barn with lots of wooded trails, I would ride in yucky weather more often, sheltered by the trees. I miss all those trails!!
    All the times I rode in Ireland we were out there no matter what was coming down from above, so long as the ground below us was still safe for work!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Like others have said, I'll ride as long as the conditions are still safe...if there's lightning, I will.not.ride.period. But just rain? Yeah. If it's really wet, I'll either put studs in, or avoid certain areas that I know the footing will be awful. But we never melt
    Tin Roof Living- Custom Wreaths & Home D├ęcor
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/TinRoofLiving?ref=ss_profile
    PM me to receive a COTH discount!

i worry more about my tack than my horse getting wet. but yes i have enjoyed rain rides.

3 members found this post helpful.

Well, I never minded riding in the rain but my big caveats are the footing, greasy clay not so good, I've moved from one type of clay soil to another and soggy greasy slick footing is scary sometimes.
    Is hail a possibility? Got caught in the hail once and horse did NOT like getting pummeled. Probably not for you, it seems to come with thunderstorms and even though I've ridden in thunderstorms it really isn't wise.
    And vehicle traffic - the drivers can't see worth a darn and the noise of tires on wet pavement scared my horse.
    That and getting soaked/tack all wet - but if it's one of those off and on rain days it can be a great day for a trail ride - I really used to enjoy the changes in the smells along with that freshly washed look of the leaves.
    I remember riding my horse belly deep in a little creek that was at full spate - not too wise probably - but it was so different and a real exercise in trust.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

So long as the footing is manageable I don't mind the rain. I wear glasses, so really heavy mist is my worst problem. I find the horses WILL mind snow or rain that is driven by strong wind into their faces. Aside from that, they don't care. And would 95% rather be outside doing anything than be in a stall.

I think you will find, however, that riding in wet, wintery weather is chilly. You will be pretty happy ride at a smart trot just to keep warm. Strolling along at a walk is cold. So dress appropriately. Do not dress too warmly unless you are certain you will be only walking. If you start out warm and toasty, and ride at a good clip, you will likely become overheated and sweaty pretty quickly.

My Dutch Warmblood's union contract has a clause about rain and wind. Labor doesn't have to put up with that. If it occurs, Management must put up with whatever whining Labor does during that shift.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

10 members found this post helpful.

Rode in the rain today. Just bought myself an oilskin duster and I wish I would have done that years ago. Nice and warm, covers the front and back of the saddle and does up around your legs. Very comfy to ride in the rain. Not too expensive either. Love it!

http://www.outbacktrading.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=108

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    I ride in light drizzle, but the horse's saddle is a nice one and belongs to his owner, and i don't know if she'd love for it to get soaked just because I wanted to hack around.
    When I was at a barn with lots of wooded trails, I would ride in yucky weather more often, sheltered by the trees. I miss all those trails!!
    All the times I rode in Ireland we were out there no matter what was coming down from above, so long as the ground below us was still safe for work!
    LOL, I want one of those Irish close dryers that every horse farm and B&B seemed to have
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I have ridden in rain up to and including total downpours as long as there's no lightning, obviously. And as long as the footing isn't so slippery to be dangerous. We were in a lesson once and all decided to stay outside when it began pouring. By the end my breeches were sticking to the puddle in the saddle and posting caused squishy noises I also took a jumping clinic in a very hard rain because the space in the indoor is limited and much more can be done outside: http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...3_805910_n.jpg

Get a waterproof quarter sheet and a good rain slicker for you and just pretend you're out duck hunting.
    Unless theirs lightning or high winds I'm riding
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Default Your plans sound wonderful to me ~ who rides in the rain ~

Your plans sound fine to me ~ who rides in the rain ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I don't mind riding in the rain, though not if it includes wind and most especially not if it includes thunder and lightning. I really, really like riding in the snow (again if no wind). Current horses don't mind though they don't like head first into a driving rain, most especially the mare. They'll do it if need be, of course, but make it clear it's not a Favorite Thing. Actually, one time the mare was turned out while I was riding the gelding and a pretty good little squall came in. When I went to fetch her, she simply backed the length of the turnout, about 150 feet, and turned to present head to halter when she got to me, that's how much she doesn't like going into a driving rain!

Default Rain is ok but MY ALL TIME FAVORITE CONDITION IS WIND !!!!

Rain is fine but my "all time favorite" riding weather is WIND !

Hot summer winds ~

Frosty autumn winds ~

Blustery winter winds ~

Chilly spring winds ~

I love a fast ride in the wind ~

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

When it is wet I am always thankful for good gloves & rubber reins.

Ride in the rain, the snow, the cold, the dark. just ride.

Okay, I'll be the one who does it.

Every time someone posts about rain, a NW-ener comes on and says, "if I didn't ride when it rains I wouldn't ever get to ride!"

So, yeah, that. Well, maybe not "ever," but I'd have to quit riding in November and not start again until July

My two upper level horses are happy to work in rainy conditions. They also like to hang out in the rain in their pastures rather than coming under their shelters. My youngster HATES getting ridden in the rain, and also heads under cover when it starts to rain. He'll do it, (proof here), but he's not a happy camper.

I pulled out my horseshow rain pants the other day to ride in a deluge, and what a huge difference that made! So I love the suggestion made by Come Shine. That's what I need to order for myself too!