The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Lightbulb Welsh stallion Heaton Romeo (odd palomino)

So, I was poking around on Gretchen's site and saw a very wellbred and cute new pony stallion Laithehill Wild Wind but was really intrigued by the color of his grandsire Heaton Romeo, purportedly a "dark palomino."

Now, I know sooty can do interesting/weird things, but there's something about his coloration that makes me think silver too. I tried looking up his gene status (not published) and if he had any silver progeny, but since he also carries creme, it'd hide pretty easily.

The only example of a "silver/cream/chestnut" I could find looked pretty normal colorwise but also had the smutty/sooty effect going on.

Also, the Telynau stallion roster has the darkest flaxen liver chestnut (Mynach Flower Power - silver + liver chestnut maybe?) I've ever seen and Telynau Octavian has some interesting silver-y mane coloration going on too.

Any thoughts? Or anyone who can confirm/deny colors in offspring of these (mostly related) lines?
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)

Interesting that you bring this up, I was admiring Heaton Romeo's color the other day. Isn't Gretchen's new colt such a handsome boy? I have a mare that is a very interesting palomino color as well, although she looks much darker like a liver chestnut at times: http://loreleiwelshponies.com/ponies/white-rose

Color genetics are so fun, especially when on a beautiful pony (or horse)!
    Last edited by Lorelei Welsh; Jun. 5, 2013 at 08:21 PM.
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for hunters, dressage and driving!

Heaton Romeo *is" a very odd color!! While I have not yet seen him in person, I've seen numerous of his palomino children out of clearly non dilute dams -- and he is indeed a palomino -- of some funky variety.

Ditto with Mynach Flower Power -- that dark color comes down through that family. I have two daughters out of Mynach Mayflower, one of which is a similar color to him, though not quite as dark. http://www.welshponies.com/aurora.htm -- though her sire is also a funky color dark/livery chestnut also.

The colors are really fun. The Rio lines have a lot of "interesting" chestnut colors. Maybe through Weston Twiggy, though Rio's sire Hafod gresgob Buzby was one of those super dark chestnuts also..... I have several interestingly colored Rio granddaughters....

The colors are really fun.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

1 members found this post helpful.

Oh, I have no doubt that he's a palomino - just wondering if there's anything else going on there. That liver coloration is so consistent and beautiful through the family too.
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)