The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone have a Tad Coffin?

Does anyone have a Tad Coffin saddle? If so, tell me about it! I'm trying to hunt down a used one, but I can't seem to find many.

I have a refurbished Tad with a SmartRide Tree - purchased directly from Tad Coffin.

Contact him as he often has saddles available (including mine on consignment).

1 members found this post helpful.

Absolutely love it.
    friend of bar.ka

LOVE mine! Going to upgrade it to the smartride tree. I found mine on virginia equestrian. Ebay has quite few as well. Your best bet is to contact Tad though. He usually has some used ones in stock..

Awesome! Thanks. I will email him

I recommend calling him instead. I've found he's really bad about returning emails but returns phone calls very promptly.

I did not find the above poster's comment to be true. I emailed him throughout my trial and fitting and he was extremely responsive. He told me when the saddle would be ready, and when it was, again, excellent communication about the delivery and fitting.
    friend of bar.ka

I found him to respond to emails very quickly too.

Try horse clicks too. I love mine and one of my clients got one for her and another for her daughter from that site.
    www.easternprospects.com not updated Time for a total rehaul
    www.sherylwilkins.zenfolio.com

He responded to my email this morning. [edit]
    Last edited by Moderator 1; Dec. 9, 2012 at 03:13 PM.

Just a reminder that we don't allow posts re: specific saddle for sale or wanted -- general info gathering about saddles is fine, but once it starts getting into "wanted ad" domain, we have to step in.

We've removed/edited a couple of posts.
    Thanks!
    Mod 1

Try Beval's web site or lightningg.com

No mistake 2 g's
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Thanks!

Has anyone sold on usedsaddles.com? I have tried tacktrader, Clist, and horseclicks, to no avail. Tack trader gets me a LOT of scammer responses. Way more than CL.

Tad Coffin has excellent customer service and I would definitely call them directly even if you're just looking for a used saddle. They do tend to run small though. I can typically ride in a 17" - 18" saddle, but I tried a 18" TC with an extra forward flag and it was tiny!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Has anyone sold on usedsaddles.com? I have tried tacktrader, Clist, and horseclicks, to no avail. Tack trader gets me a LOT of scammer responses. Way more than CL.
    I have not sold on usedsaddles.com, but another place to try listing is the bits and barter board (http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/index.cgi). I've sold through this site -- not saddles, for me, but other stuff, and I tend to check there when searching for a saddle.

IME, tacktrader always gets me scammers at the beginning, then they drop off when the ad is a few days old. I've sold several saddles through ads on tacktrader, both to local people and non-local. So I tend to endure the scammers since they are pretty easy to spot.

I have one (bought used, and I've have had it for about 6 years now) and I LOVE it! I've owned Prestige, Butet and Hermes among others, and I always go back to my TC. The *only* thing I don't rave about, is it's not a great fit on a very high-withered horse (thus all the other brands mentioned above). But the quality is amazing, the fit on most horses is great and they all seem to go well in it. I even bought a (discontinued) TC dressage saddle becuase I felt like I could sit trot in my cc saddle better than my traditional dressage ones. TCs in decent condition are usually available on ebay, and as others have mentioned, Tad Coffin himself often can help you find a suitable used one... now if anyone can just tell me what rides *just* like a TC, but fits a wide backed, huge withered, large shouldered WB, I'd appreciate it.....
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

Yes and I love mine to pieces! It's very sad right now, however, sitting in my basement in storage...if only there were a horse to put it on...I digress.

But for serious, I love it. I'm very, very petite and hard to fit, and Tad made me a beautiful saddle. It's held up incredibly well over the years, and I can easily go from riding a small-medium pony to a good-sized horse, and only have to change a pad or two. Like I said, mine is very small, so it doesn't fit the huge beefy warmbloods very well, but it's not the saddle's fault that I'm so little!

It also drastically improved my position both on the flat and over fences...I had no idea (at the time) that a saddle could do that, and I was amazed at the improvements not only in myself, but in the horse. At the time I bought the saddle, I was riding a TB who wasn't sour per se, but always wrung his tail when being ridden, and it was hard for him to open up his step. I noticed a vast difference just from test-riding in the Tad, and it got even better when I was riding him in it consistently. I've heard similar stories from quite a few other people as well.

Certainly a great investment!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!