The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you have a jumper who grunts after landing from a jump?

I found a really nice jumper mare, she is very willing and kind. She is jumping 120 meters now at 7 years old, a bit heavy build, older style warm blood. The only issue is she breaths in before the jump and grunts after she lands. It does not seem to be a health issue, but I am not certain. Does anyone else have experience with a horse that groans/grunts after each jump?

My TB junior jumper was a grunter, especially in the air over big oxers. It was just a personality quirk, not a soundness problem.

1 members found this post helpful.

I have usually had that happen when there is some level of discomfort. Maybe they are foot sore.

A grunt in and of itself might not indicate a problem but if it is combined with other signs it is worthy of investigation.

I found this.
    http://www.equisearch.com/horses_car...y/eqsaying934/

"If he groans or grunts over fences but otherwise seems happy, he's probably like the tennis player who habitually gives an "oof!" with every serve. But if he groans on landing from his fences and also pins his ears or rolls his eyes, something's hurting. It could be his back (does he resist saddling and/or girthing, tuck his hindquarters or tail when you mount, hollow his back as you settle into the saddle?), legs or feet (check them daily for heat, and watch for a resting stance that takes some weight off his front feet, a sign of laminitis), or his insides (adhesions from past abdominal surgery are a possibility; if you don't know his history, check for incision scars on belly or flank)."

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

My horse groans sometimes, but it's definitely not a soundness issue. More of a "really, are you really making me jump 1.20 again?!" kind of issue. I wouldn't worry too much unless there was something else accompanying the grunt, such as an unwillingness to land a certain lead, head tossing, ear pinning or stopping.

The grunting may also be due to the other organs such as stomach and intestines slamming into and compressing the lungs upon landing. This forces the horse to exhale regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    The grunting may also be due to the other organs such as stomach and intestines slamming into and compressing the lungs upon landing. This forces the horse to exhale regardless.
    Akin to the grunt a tennis player makes with a swing?

Mine does sometimes! Usually if the fence is big, or he thinks the distance isn't to his liking. I think it's just his way of expressing his opinion on the situation!
    To ride or not to ride-what a stupid question!
    -Unknown

I'd consider it the same as a horse snorting while trotting, and cantering. It could just be a little personal thing. I have seen quite a bit of horses grunt over fences and be perfectly fine for many years! I think it's just a little quirk of hers. If she does it when getting a long spot to an oxer or something, I'd just consider it her way of going "HOOOOMYGOD" over the fence.
    Save The Date 08-15-2011

My old hunter would do it when he was jumping with a lot of effort. I have also been told it can cause ulcers so watch for that!

If the horse is relatively vocal, maybe it's just a personality quirk. If not or if it's accompanied by ears back or rushing before/after the jump, I would definitely consider pain as a possible cause.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

We have one that grunts ALL THE TIME! While eating, while pooping, while trotting, while jumping (take-off or landing), when you add leg, when you ask him to stop...he just likes to make sure EVERYONE knows his opinion on things :P And the grunts change tone and duration quite frequently, too! In his case, it's just a very silly personality quirk (and not one I've ever noticed him being docked for in the ring), so maybe this is the case with your horse, too!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

My horse would grunt when taking off for the jump (or pooping, or rolling). Somehow she taught it to her baby, who also grunts. Only a little bit when jumping, but quite loudly when rolling or pooping.

Everyone makes fun of her for being so noisy, but there's nothing wrong with either of them!

1 members found this post helpful.

My horse grunts sometimes if I make a particularly bad decision about a distance and she has to work harder to save my sorry butt. Sometimes she just does it for no apparent reason. She's pretty expressive though and is a groaner during rolling