The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trying/rental of bits!

I have already quite a collection of bits.

And of course, I'd like to try something that I don't already have!

I'd like to try either a KK WH ultra with the roller and the KK WH ultra Soft. 16mm, 5.5''

They only have the Soft one at Dressage extension.

Is there any other place I could 'rent' these bits? I'm in Québec, Canada.

Or could I just buy them and return the one I don't like? (I would feel terrible sending back a 'used' bit...even if there is no teeth marks on it...)

And how does this 'trying-buying' thing is working? Do I have to pay full price on the 'demo' bit even if it's used? (prior to me trying it of course!)

Maybe I should just try to buy them both used...

I have purchased several bits from The Horse Bit Bank in England http://www.horsebitbank.com/
    They are wonderful and do give you a 30 day trial period even out of the country.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I have the KK ultra soft and I'd be willing to loan it out. Actually I did send it to a COTHer a while ago to try. Problem is that I am in USA and you are in Canada. Would there be a problem with customs?

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    I have the KK ultra soft and I'd be willing to loan it out. Actually I did send it to a COTHer a while ago to try. Problem is that I am in USA and you are in Canada. Would there be a problem with customs?
    I really don't know.
    Since it is 'used' and you are not 'selling' it to me, there should be no tax or anything... You would probably have to mark it as a 'gift'?

How do you like the 'soft' bit? as opposed to the 'roller' one?

@Lori : Thanks for the Bit Bank link! Their bits are a bit more expensive than from Dressage extension but I still asked for a quote about the 2 bits + shipping.

In the end, if it is more expensive to try the bits/shippings back and forth... I might just end up buying them...

Dressage Extensions has a new program that you can rent a bit for $15 and if you like it then that apply that towards the purchase.

oops, sorry, you mentioned them in your original post.

Does Dover ship to Canada? I wanted to try a new, very expensive KK bit and I asked them before I placed the order "would it be OK to return it if horse doesn't like it AFTER USING it"? They said they have a 100% return guarantee and that after ANY length of time ANY item you buy is returnable - even bits. So I ordered it. Horse did not like it so I returned it after 2 weeks, no questions asked!

Might check here

http://www.bitofbritain.com/Herm_Spr...gram_s/357.htm

Don't know if they'll ship to Canada, but my guess is yes

Quote Originally Posted by Lusoluv View Post
    Does Dover ship to Canada? I wanted to try a new, very expensive KK bit and I asked them before I placed the order "would it be OK to return it if horse doesn't like it AFTER USING it"? They said they have a 100% return guarantee and that after ANY length of time ANY item you buy is returnable - even bits. So I ordered it. Horse did not like it so I returned it after 2 weeks, no questions asked!
    Well, I would call first and ask but I know Dover ships to Canada. I've ordered something from them some time ago.

@BMargieRad : Thanks! I hadn't thought of Bit of Britain!

Apparently, this 'bit rental' trend is growing!

Bit shopping is as complicated as saddle shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    Well, I would call first and ask but I know Dover ships to Canada. I've ordered something from them some time ago.
    Check the fine print (or get email confirmation), several US sites I looked at offered shipping/sales to Canada, but elsewhere stated that any sales to Canada were final