The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What.the.fruitbat are THESE?

My 6 year old dane has impressed me his whole life with his "What did you do to yourself NOW?" superpowers. Now he's aging and adding to his bag o' tricks with interesting medical features.

He has now spontaneously manifested MATCHING wee tendril like growths on either side of his muzzle. I say "spontaneously"- I brushed his teeth yesterday and they were NOT there. They are small, maybe a half inch long and very thin. They both have a bit of heavier red towards the tip and about halfway down the length. They are almost perfectly symmetrical. He has not had any trauma to the best of my knowledge and they don't appear to be painful. He does have several other fatty growths of the type common in older lumpy dogs... I've seen a lot of weird growths but matching, quickly manifesting "strings" are a new one on me. Ideas? I'm not rushing him to the evet for these but was planning on taking him next week regardless... unless they continue to grow a half inch a night.

Kind of hard to see, but pic is here. What on EARTH?
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Obviously it is how Aliens start their invasion of earth.

Other than that have you touched these things? Are they fleshy, pinchable, have a harder core center or pure squishy flesh. Given the location, muzzle correct?, could it be an inverted whisker. I don't know if such a thing exists, but it sounds logical. Or just flesh growing on the outside of a whisker... Can you get a better closeup picture?

Do they move on their own?! I hope they don't detach late at night and come after you.
    You are what you dare.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm quite confident they're aliens and they will come for me in the night. That or he is slowly turning into cthulhu.

They're fleshy. They are a little high on his muzzle for a whisker but hairs certainly tend to start growing in odd places when we get older, right? I can try to get a better pic... he's a reasonably good patient. Good thing as I've been clutching his face in the air and peering leerily at it about twice an hour for the last day. Thus far, they have not grown nor made any efforts to attack. *Twilight zone music*
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

1 members found this post helpful.