The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Stall size for stall rest?

What is an ideal size stall for stall rest? I have a large (17.2 and long) TB that is going to be in there for a while. The stalls at the farm are 12 x 11. I was thinking of asking the owners to take down a wall so he could have a double stall, but would 24 x 11 be too big? My concern is that he never lays down in the stall now and I think he might be more encouraged to do so if he had a bigger space. But I don't want to give him the room to get bouncing around either!

You will probably have to try it to know. Can you put him in a stall where he can see everything that is going on in the barn? Think of strategies that will keep him entertained.

Had a giant, solid-bodied 16.1 mare on stall rest for a month and a half. AKB has the right idea....she was perfectly content in there because she had multiple views of the action going on (window on one side, right near the aisle door on the other) and is nosy by nature, so was happy to just watch the world go by.

Then again, she was in there because she was a horrible foundered rescue case and was more than happy to stand on 12'' of bedding and not be asked to move around. Your mileage might vary, and do remember...there is NOTHING wrong with some long-acting sedititive to keep everyone (horses and humans) safe if you think your guy might start getting bouncy.

Also, small hole hay nets (many, and often replaced!) are your best friend.
    Well isn't this dandy?

I have my barn configured to be able to take out one of the walls between 12 x 12 stalls to use as either a foaling stall or a stall-rest stall measuring 12 x 24 feet. There are two Dutch doors leading out to my sacrifice paddock, so a confined horse can commune with his/her buddies and have a view of what's going on.

This has proven to be a very nice size for my one poor gelding who's spent a lot of time in there--first recovering from DDFT/navicular surgery and then a hock bone fracture. He did pretty well, all things considered, and moved around just enough in there to keep from stocking up without having SO much room that he would go crazy.
    Click here before you buy.

Yes, he has a pretty good view of the fields from his stall. I am more concerned that if I don't give him a bigger space, he won't lay down and rest his leg. But two stalls seems like too much. His stall at the clinic is probably 16 x 14 and that is just about perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I have my barn configured to be able to take out one of the walls between 12 x 12 stalls to use as either a foaling stall or a stall-rest stall measuring 12 x 24 feet. There are two Dutch doors leading out to my sacrifice paddock, so a confined horse can commune with his/her buddies and have a view of what's going on.

This has proven to be a very nice size for my one poor gelding who's spent a lot of time in there--first recovering from DDFT/navicular surgery and then a hock bone fracture. He did pretty well, all things considered, and moved around just enough in there to keep from stocking up without having SO much room that he would go crazy.
    That is what I was thinking of; having them open two stalls up into a 11 x 24 ft stall. He is a pretty quiet horse normally and I think he would be okay until the others got to running out in the field and then all bets are off.

You could always barricade off part of the extra space if needed--when my foals are 2-3 months old I usually put a board up across about 1/4 of the foaling stall to make a creep feeder.

I would check with your vet on what they feel is ideal. I have had vets specifically tell me not to do a double stall, depending on what was going on with the horse. At home, I can do just a stall (11'6" x 12'6") or stall plus overhang (so basically a double stall). I've had situations where my vet preferred the smaller space and others where the double size was ok, so I always ask.

Good idea...how do you anchor the board though?

I have lots of pieces of U-channel left over from building the barn, so I can usually screw one of those to the wall and fasten it that way. My barn--I can drill holes wherever I want!

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    I have lots of pieces of U-channel left over from building the barn, so I can usually screw one of those to the wall and fasten it that way. My barn--I can drill holes wherever I want!
    Totally jealous!
    But I checked the stalls today and his normal stall's partition is not removable. The one that I could take out is on the other side of the barn where he wouldn't be able to see out too well. Bummer! He'll probably just have to stay in the small stall.

I don't think a 12 x 24 is too big for a 17.2 horse that is on stall rest........I used that size for my 15 hand mare and if worked great.

Dalemma