The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oster A5s just don't cut well - is there an adjustment somewhere?

On high speed my clippers just absolutely drag. Brand new blades (dipped in blade wash then oiled). There has to be something wrong with the clippers - I've tried three sets of blades.

The blades snap on.

I bought the clippers maybe 10 years ago (could be less). It seems that I have always had issues with them.

Help? I can't figure it out.

It really sounds like dull blades. Are you sure they are new and not old blades stashed into the original package (that is how I sometimes store mine)?
    Were the new blades stored so they did not get rusty?

I've never had an issue with mine... Until I bought a new blade that just doesn't cut as well as my old, rusty one! The new blade is a wider 10, brand new.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I have a 15 year old set of A5's. I would send them out for service as you might have hair jammed up into the mechanisms that can throw things out of whack. It costs about $30-$40 to have it done and totally worth it in my opinion. It does extend the life of your clippers and I do it about every 2-3 years depending on how much I use them.

Buying good blades is also key. More expensive blades are made of harder metals which hold an edge better. Cheap blades are softer and dull quickly. Also switch out blades as they get warm because the heating of the metal can soften them and make them dull quicker as well. It's also important to wash, condition and dry the animal whenever possible before clipping. Dirt in the hair and on the skin can really dull blades quite quickly.

Do you have the blades fully clipped in? I had trouble when I first got my A5, not aligning the lever into the center of the top blade of the set. So blades were only half clipped in, got almost no power in cutting, new or old blades. Once the lever was fully inserted into the top blade, snapped fully down tight, they cut fine.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Do you have the blades fully clipped in? I had trouble when I first got my A5, not aligning the lever into the center of the top blade of the set. So blades were only half clipped in, got almost no power in cutting, new or old blades. Once the lever was fully inserted into the top blade, snapped fully down tight, they cut fine.
    Awesome advice. I will check. Something just isn't right.

Washed/clean horse; two different sets of blades that came in the mail. I even bought the special black ones; film removed with the blade wash (kerosene); frustrating!!

If they don't work better I should just sell them. Makes me look bad in public with the hair practically chewed off the horses!

Thanks all!

I bought my clippers used but they came with a booklet explaining how to take them apart and clean/oil them. Mine weren't cutting well at all and sounded as if they were dying. Followed the directions and now they're fine.

I was very careful when laying out the parts so I could put them back together again. Just a warning. The whole thing wasn't difficult to do and it was pretty yucky in there.

When was the last time you replaced the blade drive? You should be going through at least one a year, more if you're doing more than your own horse 1-2 times. I go through one a month. I think Oster calls theirs a lever, it costs under $5. Find them and buy a bunch.

Check your hinge. Loose hinge, loose blade, bad cut. Hinges are also cheap and easily replaced. It's what the blade slides onto and then snaps down.

Get your blades sharpend. New does not mean sharp. Sometimes you get lucky, but you can't assume.

Or just send clippers and blades out - clippers to be serviced, blades sharpened.

A5s are not my favs- too heavy for my crippled up wrists and too noisy- but they are powerhouses and should do a body clip easily.

what goodhorse said. if the new sharp blades are not put onto the clippers correctly then they don't work well. Been there done that. You might need to use a little muscle to snap them into place correctly. Or as some one I know likes to say, use a little "brute force and awkwardness". Happens to me frequently on the A-5's.

When this happens (they aren't fully clipped into place) you can visually see the blades are not fitted flush with the body of the clipper. That they are sitting up a smidge too high off of the body of the clippers.

I'd put money on a worn out blade drive. They're super easy to change. Go on PetEdge.com sells replacement parts for most clippers. There should be instructions online somewhere if you google it.

If you haven't done so, I'd either send them out for a tuneup (ask local dog grooming shops where they get their clippers/blades done - we have a guy that comes once a month to sharpen our blades and shears and service the clippers for those of us who don't service them ourselves) or look online for how to do it yourself. Its generally not terribly complicated. Undo a few screws, get the gunk out and put it back together.

1 members found this post helpful.

Pull off the metal plate, clean out any hair. If that doesn't fix it replave the lever.

I hate Oster A5 clippers. They all crap out when you need them most. I am sure it is just an adjustment or part, but I don't have much luck fixing them on my own. And even when they get serviced, they don't last. And they are heavy. Try another brand.. try the one with the lights!

The TURBO A5's are better than the GOLDEN A5's. I actually havent had a problem with the newer Turbos, but the Goldens arent ideal for any kind of thick coat.

The lower the clipper blade #, the higher power clippers you will need. If you are clipping with a 10 or lower blade, I would not use the Golden A5's.

The older Osters were all great, would run 20 years....not so much with the newer ones...we're lucky to get 20 months out the GOlden A5's. The Turbos have lasted longer.

Also forgot to mention, DONT use the blades directly after oiling them!!! This will create drag for sure. You need DRY blades on a dry coat. Oil will clump and clog the blades causing drag.

Clean and Lube the blades after each use, but not before.

Quote Originally Posted by pony baloney View Post
    I bought my clippers used but they came with a booklet explaining how to take them apart and clean/oil them. Mine weren't cutting well at all and sounded as if they were dying. Followed the directions and now they're fine.

I was very careful when laying out the parts so I could put them back together again. Just a warning. The whole thing wasn't difficult to do and it was pretty yucky in there.
    Oops. Now I see you're talking about clippers. I have A5 trimmers.

There's also a part that wears from the vibration over time, I've forgotten what it's called but they're sold at valley vet for a few dollars, they steady the blade in the vibration and allow it to cut better, super easy to replace. Those two plastic screw heads on the side of the clippers, you unscrew them, and the springs come out with these heads on them, i think they're just carbon? Anyway replace those and youll have much better luck, mine usually last a few years. Here's what they look like:

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...lipper%20parts