The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile Thank you, Carol K.!

I would like to thank Carol Koslowski for her time and consideration in serving on the USEA Safety Committee. I've talked with her, and had her listen carefully, and show concern, respect and appreciation for how most lower level eventers. I am so sad she is leaving the committee, and she has done a tremendous amount for all of us in sticking up for the Ammy every chance she could.
    She's fought hard for the changes to the Fall Rule and I know she has put in a lot of time on other subjects, too, in an effort to make things better for eventing. I think we will have a hard time trying to find a champion to fill he shoes.....Thanks, Carol!
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

9 members found this post helpful.

Agreed! Carol is a fabulous advocate for us lower level ammies.

I've always hated that one fall rule. Now I wonder what will happen if we land on our feet and lose our balance and then fall on our butt. Will that be cause for the big E?

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Adding my thanks. Every thing I've read through her years on the Safety Committee has been well thought out and right on.

She brought a great perspective to that committee and put in a lot of time and effort.

2 members found this post helpful.

In the EMSA seminar it was mentioned that the one fall rule is being revisited in the US for the lower levels.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    In the EMSA seminar it was mentioned that the one fall rule is being revisited in the US for the lower levels.
    Yes. The new proposal is where the text "land on your feet" comes from.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Adding my congrats as well. Carol's always been one of my favorites, and even tho we sometimes disagree I have a great deal of respect for her opinions and judgement.

Hopefully, someone on the committee will take up the mantle of the amateur and young riders. Given that USEA membership has dropped nearly 20% since 2004 -- with the younger demos taking the hardest hits -- it is absolutely crucial that all efforts are made to keep the sport accessible and appealing to the future generations.

Much gratitude to Carol for her work.

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

Thankfully we are not losing Carol completely. For personal reasons, I will be stepping down from the USEF Eventing Technical Committee and Carol has been nominated to take my place. I can't think of a better outcome and we are so very blessed that she agreed to continue serving our sport in a leadership position.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

Though I'm sad to lose Canterlope's amazing voice on the the Eventing Technical committee, I second her view that Carol will be a phenomenal advocate in her stead. Carol and C'lope continually speak up for the amateur, for the horses, and for the overall good of the sport. For those of you who have never had the privilege of watching them take on a cause, it's a treat: they do it with charm, humor, smarts, and class, armed with facts over hysteria, and common sense over bureaucracy. Thanks to both of you for everything you guys do!!

Don't forget, Carol is the one who worked tirelessly to get rid of the weights rule back in the day...Some of you youngsters might not even know eventers had to carry lead in their saddle pads to 'make weight'. The lead was a dreadful thing for the horses-'dead weight' is very hard to carry at speed. Carol knew it and went full tilt at getting rid of it. Horses and their little riders everywhere are grateful. Many thanks to Carol, for all she does for our sport. She's a champion.......even tho she did cut off my thumb! ;-) ;-) xo
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

4 members found this post helpful.