The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2010
    Location
    Zone 2!
    Posts
    142

    Default Anyone live in Arizona?

    I'm looking for horse people who either live in or are familiar with Arizona. Although I'm not ready to move yet, in a few years, I plan on moving to Arizona. I'd love to study law at ASU (Arizona State University) for college. However, I can't see me ever giving up my horses, so they'll be coming to AZ with me.
    Seeing as I'd like to go to ASU, I was looking for houses in Tempe, AZ that either have a barn already built, or have land to build one on. However, I found very limited properties.
    So my two questions to you are, 1) Is Tempe not a good city to have horses, and eventually a show barn (once I retire)? And 2) If so, what are other cities to consider? (Somewhere that I could have horses and eventually a show barn, and somewhere not too far from ASU, as I wouldn't want to commute more than 45 minutes at the very most).
    I'm not at all familiar with AZ, so I don't know where 'horse country,' is. :P

    Thanks in advance for any info you can give me!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2009
    Location
    a little north of Columbus GA
    Posts
    1,841

    Default

    We just moved from there and I finished my degree at ASU. Horse property in Tempe will be very, very expensive. (As opposed to just 'very expensive' for the rest of it.) There are some enclaves left but they don't come on the market very often, plus you'll be boxed in.

    Look further out in Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek to the southeast, Scottsdale, north Phoenix to the north. (I'm not as familiar with the west side, I'm sure there are suitable areas over there too.)

    The road system is quite good so you can be pretty far out as long as you have access to one of the loops or freeways.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul. 13, 2010
    Posts
    213

    Default

    I am an ASU law grad and rode during law school. I sent you a PM.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2010
    Location
    Zone 2!
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    We just moved from there and I finished my degree at ASU. Horse property in Tempe will be very, very expensive. (As opposed to just 'very expensive' for the rest of it.) There are some enclaves left but they don't come on the market very often, plus you'll be boxed in.

    Look further out in Chandler, Gilbert, Queen Creek to the southeast, Scottsdale, north Phoenix to the north. (I'm not as familiar with the west side, I'm sure there are suitable areas over there too.)

    The road system is quite good so you can be pretty far out as long as you have access to one of the loops or freeways.
    Thank you! I will be sure to check there.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2010
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    5,784

    Default

    I don't even know of any horse property in Tempe, though it's possible there is some.

    This map may help you for Phoenix-area geography:
    http://www.arizona-leisure.com/phoenix-area-map.html

    The fancier places are typically in Scottsdale or Cave Creek. That could be about 45 minutes from Tempe for you if you have the right locations with easy access to the freeways and can avoid the worst traffic times.

    Phoenix actually has some horsey communities. The homes all look about identical, aren't far from each other, but in the backyards are corrals instead of swimming pools. These neighborhoods then have community arenas instead of parks. Kind of fun, though not ideal to me - but makes it more affordable!

    Are you set on ASU for any specific reason? I'm just curious. I'm in Tucson and tend to prefer it, but it's likely Phoenix would better support more show barns...
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2010
    Location
    Zone 2!
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    I don't even know of any horse property in Tempe, though it's possible there is some.

    This map may help you for Phoenix-area geography:
    http://www.arizona-leisure.com/phoenix-area-map.html

    The fancier places are typically in Scottsdale or Cave Creek. That could be about 45 minutes from Tempe for you if you have the right locations with easy access to the freeways and can avoid the worst traffic times.

    Phoenix actually has some horsey communities. The homes all look about identical, aren't far from each other, but in the backyards are corrals instead of swimming pools. These neighborhoods then have community arenas instead of parks. Kind of fun, though not ideal to me - but makes it more affordable!

    Are you set on ASU for any specific reason? I'm just curious. I'm in Tucson and tend to prefer it, but it's likely Phoenix would better support more show barns...
    Thank you!
    I'm not 100% sure why I'm set on ASU. However, I do know that I'd love to live in Arizona. I used to live in Texas and loved everything about it. I was considering Texas A&M, but because of reasons I'd rather not discuss, I don't think I'd be happy living in Texas again. So my next choice was Arizona and ASU.
    My motivation is the fact that I need to get out of this New York weather before it drives me mad, LOL.. I've always been one for hot, humid weather!

    When you say that Scottsdale and Cave Creek are 'fancier,' do you mean the houses, or the barns there? I'd like to have a fancy show barn, but I definitely don't need a fancy house. I'm actually just looking for something with 1-2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, and around 10-15 acres for my horses, because I don't plan on having kids or anything. :P



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    585

    Default

    Honestly, ASU is a Good school. Net, I know you're for the UoA prolly :P (btw, my horse is getting better, so hopefully I'll run into you again!)

    I was thinking about going to ASU for SW. But now I'm interested in doing Lawyer stuff.

    EVERYTHING in Scottsdale and Cave Creek are fancier. Houses, horses, barns, trainers. Everything is going to be more expensive. Before I moved to Tucson,w e had looked into Scottsdale. We could afford a condo (my mom's a doctor too) and pay board on max of two horses. Granted, the barn was Very nice and the trainers were Very good trainers. And I'm not sure how easily you will find 10-15 acres in Scottsdale/Cave Creek. Tempe... probably. I haven't been much in that area. Just Scottsdale, Phoenix and Tucson.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan. 9, 2009
    Location
    a little north of Columbus GA
    Posts
    1,841

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigeqxo View Post
    When you say that Scottsdale and Cave Creek are 'fancier,' do you mean the houses, or the barns there? I'd like to have a fancy show barn, but I definitely don't need a fancy house. I'm actually just looking for something with 1-2 bedrooms, 1.5 baths, and around 10-15 acres for my horses, because I don't plan on having kids or anything. :P
    That is going to set you back a couple million for the land alone in the SE valley. I don't even want to think about what it would cost up in Scottsdale.

    Here's a 10 acre undeveloped tract I used to drive by on my way to the barn: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...6_M29550-79569

    It's unlikely you'll find a house that small on a large parcel, and you may find that deed restrictions insist that you build something bigger.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    585

    Default

    You should just move to Tucson We're a bit cheaper! LOL



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2010
    Location
    Zone 2!
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Thanks again!
    Someone recomended Gilbert or Chandler, and after looking into those, they seem much more realistic.
    Thinking about it now, I'm not sure I'd need 10 acres. The 8 acres we have now works well for us. However, we live in NY, and we need the land for grazing area for our horses. I'd imagine that in AZ the horses rely a lot more on hay than they do grass, LOL.

    wsmoak - I probably should have worded that differently.. I wouldn't mind building/buying a bigger house.. in fact, I'd love to have one. However, if I can find a small house on a good piece of land for my horses, I'd still be perfectly happy.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2010
    Location
    Zone 2!
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorses View Post
    You should just move to Tucson We're a bit cheaper! LOL
    I'll look into that! Not sure what the commute would be to ASU, though (like I said, I know nothing about the geography of AZ).. and I've kind of got my heart set on that school, LOL.



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec. 10, 2008
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    585

    Default

    There is actually a branch of ASU down here. I'm not Totally sure if they offer Everything though.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2010
    Location
    Zone 2!
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorses View Post
    There is actually a branch of ASU down here. I'm not Totally sure if they offer Everything though.
    I'll see if they have any information on their website later.



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar. 24, 2010
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    5,784

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crazyhorses View Post
    Honestly, ASU is a Good school. Net, I know you're for the UoA prolly :P (btw, my horse is getting better, so hopefully I'll run into you again!)

    I was thinking about going to ASU for SW. But now I'm interested in doing Lawyer stuff.

    EVERYTHING in Scottsdale and Cave Creek are fancier. Houses, horses, barns, trainers. Everything is going to be more expensive. Before I moved to Tucson,w e had looked into Scottsdale. We could afford a condo (my mom's a doctor too) and pay board on max of two horses. Granted, the barn was Very nice and the trainers were Very good trainers. And I'm not sure how easily you will find 10-15 acres in Scottsdale/Cave Creek. Tempe... probably. I haven't been much in that area. Just Scottsdale, Phoenix and Tucson.
    If I stayed in-state I would have gone to ASU - they offered me a whole lot more. So I'm not totally anti-ASU.

    I just think Tucson's a LOT easier to afford land and get started in.

    I did specifically mean the fancier barns tend to be in the Scottsdale/Cave Creek area, but everything's fancier there. The folks willling to pay $$ for nice horses and great training are also more highly concentrated in that area.

    The U of A has a law school, too, if you haven't seen anything about it yet.


    Personally, if I were going to law school and moving somewhere, I would prefer other schools to either. As a local, I'd rather go to the U of A because this is where I live. But my family's mostly Ivy law, and I got tired of teaching the law students how to do legal research while I was in high school, so I'm biased...



    H - I look forward to seeing you at the barn again soon! Looks like we won't be moving the horses to our house in the very immediate future, so I should still be there.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed



  15. #15
    Join Date
    May. 11, 2009
    Posts
    201

    Default

    I live in chandler and have a small boarding barn.10-15 acres will cost you several million dollars undeveloped even out here. Good luck even finding that amount of land honestly. The biggest show barn around here was 12 acres and it was just foreclosed on. I have less than 3 acres that had very little horse set up and an 1800 sq ft house that needed a remodel and was just over 500k after the market crash. During, this property was listed at just south of 1 million. The house around the corner with less land was 1.2 ... Try Queen Creek, the pinal county side. if you want a larger property, but out here in valley, horse keeping is pretty different than back east as we just do not have that amount of open land in the suburbs. I honestly don't know of any real "show" barns in Tempe. I know of a few equestrian neighborhoods and one more backyard type barn. That's about it. Tempe is by far a college town. There is no shortage of fancy barns in north scottsdale/ cave creek

    I have several friends who are asu law school graduates. One now works for the justice project. They all loved it. I grew up back east but love it here in AZ. I'm sure you will too!



  16. #16
    Join Date
    May. 15, 2001
    Location
    Gilbert, AZ
    Posts
    2,225

    Default

    I live on a 2 1/2 acre horse property in a county island on the Gilbert/Queen Creek border. There are some pretty good deals to be had on foreclosed properties right now - a friend recently paid in the low $300k for a 2,500 sq.ft house on 3 acres, for example. Land, however, is still expensive. The empty 2 1/2 acre lot on our street is listed at $200,000.

    Many horse properties are only 1 1/4 acres and 2 1/2 acres is considered good. Anything over that is much harder to find and very expensive. 10 plus acres definitely puts you in the 7 figure range unless you move way out. Our neighbor actually turned down $1.4 million for a 2500 sq. ft. house on 5 acres at the height of the market. Covered arenas are good for summer, but few private properties have them.

    We looked at horse properties in the Tempe area, but they tend to have less land and are way more expensive. They are also further away from any of the good H/J trainers.

    Irrigation is a big factor to consider, given our lack of rain, if you want grass pastures. The south east valley has a much higher percentage of properties with irrigation than Scottsdale and Carefree etc.

    You might want to consider renting while you look for your perfect property. Many people are leasing rather than selling right now, or are offering lease to buy options.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep. 14, 2010
    Location
    Zone 2!
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Thanks, everyone!
    It's very interesting to hear that 2.5 acres is considered good 'horse property'! Our 8 acres that we have now is considered small here! And then there's Texas (where I used to live), where 20 acres is considered small.. LOL.
    I'll be sure to keep this all in mind while looking!

    One more question for you, while we're talking about it.. in order for me to have, say, a 20 stall barn (weather or not I end up with 20 horses there, I'd like around that size just in case) how little acres would you say I could realistically get away with without pushing it, to house the barn area, an arena, and a small house? If you feel like I'm getting annoying, don't be afraid to tell me to knock it off with the questions, LOL. It's just that I've found out just how different things are compared to here!



  18. #18
    Join Date
    May. 11, 2009
    Posts
    201

    Default

    You need to pay very close attention to how the property is set up. Make sure every inch is usable and the house and front area isn't taking up half your land. I have almost, but under 3 acres and I have a 14 stall pipe barn, and a row of three more stalls detached. I have four pastures, a 90x120 arena, and a decent sized round pen and I use every single inch of land I have to make this work. Ide say for what you want, you should be looking at a minimum of 3 1/2 acres, 5 would be good. The 12 acre property i referred to earlier had over 60 horses on it at one point. No turnout, obviously. If you can offer decent turnout, you will be ahead of the game. You can still find a decent amount of 5 acre properties in the Gilbert/Queen Creek area, and the further out you go the more economical it is. The properties are just as nice, if not nicer and newer than in the more centrally located areas of the valley. I wish I had bought a little further out looking back on it. Prices can vary wildly in the same town just depending on what side youre on. For instance, I'm in chandler ( barely ) about a mile from the Gilbert border. The house right across from me was a fixer upper with 1 1/2 acre and just sold ( quickly) for 330k .. The undeveloped 5 acres around the corner is on the market for 1 million. But if I drive 15 minutes to the far side of Gilbert , its much cheaper, and the area is very nice and quiet, while I live across the street from and airport lol. Look in the power and chandler heights area specifically.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr. 16, 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    245

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigeqxo View Post
    Thank you!
    and around 10-15 acres for my horses, because I don't plan on having kids or anything. :P
    wooo I'm sure someone has already mentioned this, but... 10-15 acres in that area is going to be HARD to find! Most people keep their horses on much smaller acreage. I would venture a guess that the fancy schmancy barns are lucky to get a 15 acre lot.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr. 16, 2010
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    245

    Default

    I thought about commenting earlier, but didn't want to hijack. I can't resist, though! This is a really great thread for me as I am considering Arizona State for their Graduate Public Affairs program.

    I would love to find a H/J barn in the Scottsdale/Cave Creek area that would take in a pauper like me (currently working on a masters). Looking for a place that I could get involved in, somewhere that has nice horses available for lessons, maybe with sale horses that need hacking, etc. Might be a pipe dream, but I have some time to search.

    Any suggestions would be much appreciated!



Similar Threads

  1. Looking for alfalfa in Arizona -
    By maryleecurtis in forum Hay
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Apr. 12, 2012, 01:39 PM
  2. Barefoot Arizona Saddle/Arizona Nut Saddle
    By SoCalGal in forum Endurance and Trail Riding
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: Oct. 11, 2011, 08:11 AM
  3. Shipping from NJ to Arizona or NM
    By vinny07 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct. 20, 2010, 07:04 PM
  4. Arizona CDE
    By DrivingNewsUSA in forum Driving
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Mar. 15, 2010, 09:26 AM
  5. Scottsdale, Arizona
    By Boots&Saddles in forum Off Course
    Replies: 113
    Last Post: Dec. 23, 2003, 09:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness