The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone teach their kitty to use the toilet?

Yup you read it right.

Anyone do it?

I started my cat last week. So far hes picked it right up. But he is very used to sitting on it as he always hangs out on the seat while im in the shower/doing anything in the bathroom.

Have any of you who tried, succeeded? What problems did you run into?

Henrik was used to jumping up to use the litter box so I moved it right onto the toilet seat when I started on Monday. Today was the first day of a pan in the toilet seat. I thought it would be iffy at best. I carried him in and put him on it. He jumped right down, turned around, jumped back up, and pottied right away. I was shocked. Felt like a proud parent potty training a kid lol.

Im totally winging the whole thing based on some google research. Id like to get some other inputs on the idea if anyone has done it.
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

Haven't tried, but seriously considered it. Have to leave the box in a downstairs half bath and the "essence" wafts right into the living room...

Edited to add: Just did some googling myself. Did you see this clip, with the cat who then uses the TP? LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQbHS4YJOMc
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Hahah thanks for sharing that! Hadn't seen it.

I had the same issue. Had to keep the litter box in our upstairs loft and unfortunately our dogs found it as fair game to dig through. Not to mention the amount of litter this cat throws everywhere is insane!

He actually just jumped off my bed 20min ago and hopped right up to use it again. I'm very impressed!

I did not buy the liners they sell online. I opted for the disposable turkey baster pans. It required some manipulation to fit, but after some crushing, it fits darn snugly! It completely holds his weight and only cost me $2.98 versus the $60 for the kit online.

My dilemma is - let him use the guest half bath downstairs - rarely used, or the 2nd full bath upstairs that is only used about once a month when my son & his girlfriend come home...? Although the half bath is where his box is.

My really big question though is, don't they spray off target?
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    My dilemma is - let him use the guest half bath downstairs - rarely used, or the 2nd full bath upstairs that is only used about once a month when my son & his girlfriend come home...? Although the half bath is where his box is.

My really big question though is, don't they spray off target?
    Ours never did, not too apt to perching on the edge.

Well I cannot speak to whether or not they "miss" or not yet, but I had not come across anything online saying it was a problem.

I would say to have him use one you did not use as often, but to definitely keep an eye to flush and just make sure everything is "working" there. I did read to not to teach them to flush, although it can easily be taught. That is bc apparently most see that part as a game to wrack up your water bill.

Just for some giggles, this is Henrik using it for the first time
    http://i736.photobucket.com/albums/x...er/photo-5.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

Okay wait...do they actually poop & pee into the water, or is it like a litter box in/suspended above the water in the toilet???
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Henrik is adorabobble! And I LOVE his name!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

My best cat ever taught herself to pee in the toilet. The first time she did it in front of me, she turned around and kind of meowed - there was blood in her urine, and off to the vet we went.

She never stopped using the toilet to pee in after that. She never "missed" - it was a hoot to watch her carefully square her big booty in the center and pee. (she never pooped in the toilet, alas, just pee)

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Okay wait...do they actually poop & pee into the water, or is it like a litter box in/suspended above the water in the toilet???
    Its a process. Starting with their litter box in the bathroom and then working up to a pan in the toilet, and then just the toilet seat itself.

I cut the hole in the pan last night and he seems to be struggling a bit to "get it". But we will prevail!

Oliverreed, thanks!! I love this little guy. Hes been a long long road but we are getting there. Hes pretty sick (lymphoma) but we are keeping him happy until his time comes. Hes more than comfortable now so hopefully he keeps it up. He has the most beautiful eyes, so his name came from that. Im a HUGE hockey fan, and I came across him right about the time of HBO 24/7 series last year for the Flyers/Rangers Winter Classic game. And bam. Those gorgeous eyes of Henrik Lundqvist. It was done!

If he is sick, be sure if he is feeling weak, he has a litter box easier to get to than jumping up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    If he is sick, be sure if he is feeling weak, he has a litter box easier to get to than jumping up there.
    When he gets there we will sure be making changes. Right now hes doing very good. He hasnt had any bad days in a long time. Hes actually way more full of himself now that hes an inside only cat than he has all year. Hes rarely ever home alone for long periods of time so if he makes a turn, we will make changes.