The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

When I was running, I ran 6 days a week, 3-5 miles per day. I ran only on a treadmill because I have a metal rod and screws in my left femur and am not *really* supposed to be running that much. The cushioning of the treadmill helped a lot. I didn't run with weights or anything. I did sometimes do some light lifting after I ran.

Now I am lucky to run once a week, lol. And I struggle to run two miles! It's a bit sad.

I have always been a runner, but with finals coming up way too quickly, I am actually running more than I am riding now. I tend to run about 5 miles 3-4 times a week once I am in shape to go that distance. It usually takes 2 weeks or so of slow, gradual adding of time and/or miles to get comfortable running that far. In the summer I put on my camelbak for water, but no other weights or anything. I even started taking one of the horses from the barn with me this summer when I would run (All back roads and this horse was just getting back into shape... worked great!)

I'm with propspony on this one... either you love Yoga or you hate it. I personally hate it because it actually feels like work more than a cardio workout does for me.
    Who say's your best friend has to be human?

Now I've got a general question everyone... what to do about working out if you want to "slim" down without building any muscle?

I would rather not build any muscles in my calves... I have large ones as it is and for the time being, boots are a NIGHTMARE. I'd rather just lose the weight, and then tone. Does anyone do this right now?
    "You either go to the hospital or you get back on! Hospital or on!"

I've always heard that women don't have to worry much about getting 'bigger' when they lift weights and that was true for me. I was at my smallest when I lifted weights 4-5 days a week and ran 1 day/wk. I also have very large calves but while they did get a lot of definition, they did not get bigger. Though I have known some women who do get bigger with weights.

I have to put the good word in for yoga. I am 50 and have had my share of thrills and spills and the resulting injuries. Yoga helps me to deal with those and still have the strength and range of motion to do what I want to do in life. It is a good supplementary activity for most any sport. And it really helps with issues like body image and healthy eating. There are too many benefits to name but one example is when I am in a spin class geared toward heart rate training, I can better control bringing my heart rate down. And I think that it helps to prevent a lot of injuries. I mostly practice at home. I like a more physical work out that is geared towards helping my SI joint issues. Hip openers are fantastic for riding. When I do DVD's I like Rodney Yee best.

For weight loss, the most important thing I do is log my food and work outs. I am currently using the MyFitnessPal Iphone app. Really helps me to stay aware and on track.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHunterAntics View Post
    Now I've got a general question everyone... what to do about working out if you want to "slim" down without building any muscle?

I would rather not build any muscles in my calves... I have large ones as it is and for the time being, boots are a NIGHTMARE. I'd rather just lose the weight, and then tone. Does anyone do this right now?
    Ballet! Back when I was doing it seriously I had a fantastic shape to my body (which is normally like a potato).

It's not for everyone, but it's a great mix of stretching, toning and cardio - if you're doing it right!

I haven't been in a while due to some physical issues and I'm back to my natural potato shape. Can't wait to get back.

2 members found this post helpful.

I've also found that rowing machines have helped me with getting in riding shape. They seriously work every muscle group in your body, and you get a really good cardio work out. Just be careful first starting out that you know the proper technique/form-it's not that hard to learn, but make sure you do it right because you can easily throw your back if you do it wrong. I've never had such high endurance for riding, my leg does not move, and I'm finally able to tell my mare, "no we're not going to try a gallop instead of our warm-up canter"
    I like mares. They remind me of myself: stubborn know it alls who only acknowledge you if you have food.
    Hannah B. Nana: 50% horse, 50% hippo
    Fiona: can't decide between jumpers or napping

I am in my 50's and started running with my dog two years ago. Wow did it help my riding! I only run 1.3 to 1.4 miles a day, 5 days a week. I wish I had started running when I was younger!

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanHunterAntics View Post

As a woman, unless you're really pumping the iron (heavy weights) AND have a tendency to "bulk up" easily you're not going to get bigger lifting weights. If anything, weight training will make you smaller by toning and lifting your whole body, plus speed weight loss dramatically. Trust me...weight training plus cardio is literally the "holy grail" when it comes to trimming down.

If you're really concerned about adding bulk, look for body weight-only workouts--it really is amazing how much stronger and fitter you can get without using any actual added weight, and the risk of adding inches is pretty much non-existent.