The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default *NEW* Triple Crown Product: Alfa-Lox

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/forag...lfa-lox-forage

I happened to see this on my Facebook news feed. I'm passing this along. What do you nutrition/ulcer folks say about this?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

Save your money; it's just alfalfa pellets with a couple of supplements added in small doses.

"Revolutionary"?

Agree with fly. Alfalfa is fine, but I don't see anything revolutionary on the ingredient list.
    Click here before you buy.

I think the magic ingredient is the Mannanoligosaccharides.

Do you know for sure that it's pelleted? The mfg info didn't say that. They list it with their "forages." Some of those are long-stemmed, and some are cubed. Not sure about pellets.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Quote Originally Posted by Cindyg View Post

Do you know for sure that it's pelleted? The mfg info didn't say that. They list it with their "forages." Some of those are long-stemmed, and some are cubed. Not sure about pellets.
    It is a loose chaff forage.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

2 members found this post helpful.

Bumping this up.

Has anyone had a chance to try this yet?

Does it come with bagels? Sorry, just couldn't resist.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

4 members found this post helpful.

Wondering what the price tag per bag is.... I'm intrigued. Wish it would have been around while I was going through ulcer problems with my last gelding. He was fed alfalfa pellets, rice bran pellets and a vitamin supplement instead of grain. If it really is loose chaff that would have been great because he choked on dry pellets once, but if they were soaked and got packed down in the slightest, he would stop eating them.

It sounds like what Seminole has - theirs is chaff mixed with vitamins and a few pellets.

I'd be more intrigued if it didn't list molasses as an ingredient -_- I hate giving horses too much sugar. I'm sure the biggest help for gastric health here (besides that ingredient I can't pronounce because it's so long) is the amount of fiber. Which is awesome. However, I think there are other ways to get the same effects as this "supplement" without buying the molasses in it. (Alfalfa cubes, flax seed, grain with good amounts of omega's and probiotics).

Currently I'm feeding soaked alfalfa cubes, which once broken down, are just like chaff, and a ration balancer for vitamins and minerals. I wonder if the price of this is cheaper per feeding and if it provides what I'm giving in two different products. Back to look at the info...

Nevermind, I see that it doesn't even come close to providing what I'm feeding currently...carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by kmmoran View Post
    I'd be more intrigued if it didn't list molasses as an ingredient -_- I hate giving horses too much sugar. I'm sure the biggest help for gastric health here (besides that ingredient I can't pronounce because it's so long) is the amount of fiber. Which is awesome. However, I think there are other ways to get the same effects as this "supplement" without buying the molasses in it. (Alfalfa cubes, flax seed, grain with good amounts of omega's and probiotics).
    I think the amount of molasses is tiny, and just to keep dust down and bind whatever additives are there to the fiber, to maintain homogeneity. The TC alfalfa and grass forages are around 14% NSC, and I'd guess this is the same.
    *CrowneDragon*
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

I wish there was some way to know the amount. Since it's the fourth ingredient I would think there's a decent amount of it, but then again there aren't many ingredients listed. Funny story about molasses.. There's one mare at my farm who is super anxious and hot, especially outside. I read her Performance grain nutrition... The first two ingredients: Oats, Molasses. YIKES.

Binding the additives makes sense though, I hope it is a small amount indeed!

I think it is similar in concept to this product Thrive.

http://thrivefeed.com/Amazing_Thrive_Feed.html

I have been feeding this stuff for years and it is the best. What is revolutionary is the way it is processed, the ingredients, and the fact it has zero sugars in the form of cane molasses.

Hello everyone,

We would like to share with you a little more information on Alfa•Lox, while the product does list molasses as an ingredient it is a very small portion of this product. Even with molasses listed the NSC value of this product is very low at only 9.2% NSC. We have listed the NSC value on our website along with the NSC values for our other products. Here is some more information on the special nutrients we have added to this chopped alfalfa hay based supplement:

Alfa-Lox® is a revolutionary feed supplement to be fed at 2-4lbs. daily. Alfa-Lox not only promotes gastric health, but many horses with gastric ulcers also have colonic ulcers that cannot be definitively be diagnosed. Alfa-Lox™ uses a multiple, nutrient based approach for health of the entire digestive tract.

• Chopped Alfalfa Hay – Demonstrated by University research to provide a buffering effect for both horses on or off pharmacological treatments.
    • Microbial Cultures – Helps maintain a healthier pH in the digestive tract and stimulates mucosal cells to regenerate faster to improve the digestive tract lining.
    • Mannanoligosaccharides – Used for natural stimulation of the immune function.
    • Omega 3 Fatty Acids – Providing 15gms of Omega 3 Fatty Acids for reducing inflammation of intestinal cells.
    • L-Glutamine and L-Carnitine – Amino acids by veterinarians to stimulate cellular immunity and regeneration and to increase metabolism of nutrients to improve cellular repair.

Go to www.triplecrownfeed.com or call us at 800-451-9916 for more information!
    Triple Crown feed fan?
    Join Triple Crown Nutrition, Inc. on facebook at:
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/p...6908807?ref=mf

Thumbs up Alfa-Lox

I just thought I would add what I think of this product. My daughter's event horse had some suspected issues with ulcers. We never did have him scoped. I didn't want to be that evasion to him and so I decided to try the Triple Crown Alfa-Lox. I have to say it worked wonders! All symptoms of ulcers went away in about two months. We fed it once a day in the evening and about 2lbs. He absolutely loved it. He would not touch his grain until after we put his Alfa-Lox in his stall and he ate it gone. It is chopped alfalfa forage with pelleted particles mixed in. It isn't dusty and I was surprised that it has molasses in the ingredients. I am actually quite happy with the product and will continue to use it and I have suggested it to friends and their horses. It is a little expensive, but if you are only feeding a small amount it lasts a while. I highly recommend it.

What I would like to know is the calorie content per pound of Alfa-Lox. I will be contacting Triple Crown to find out. My daughter and her horse will be moving barns next week and will have to be switch feeds from Purina Ultium to Triple Crown Complete and I am a little worried about the increase of feed per pound we will have to make to reach his current calorie intake! He will have to have 6lbs more Complete per day then the amount he is currently getting of the Purina Ultium.

I feed this to my horse when he decides that the soaked cubes are poisonous. He does like it, but its a bit stemmy for him so he eats all the short soft parts and leaves the long stem. I wish it was a bit more chopped.
    Last edited by islgrl; Jun. 23, 2014 at 08:25 PM.

Sounds a lot like their Safe Starch Forage made with alflafa instead of grass hay. The SSF uses vegetable oil to bind and keep the dust down instead of molasses. SSF also has the tiny pellets that apparently contain the vitamins, minerals and other additives - including L-Glutamine - which is the "active ingredient" in Succeed.

So its alfalfa with fast track and a handful of flax seeds? With alfalfa at 14 dollars per 70 lb bale, here, it'd have to be cheap to be competitively priced.