The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default chiropractor; how often

Just curious how often you guys use the equine chiropractor.

My green mare had Lyme this winter and basically had 4 months off due to that and the weather. When I started her back this spring, she wouldn't canter left lead. She's still pretty green and we'd only cantered a few times in the fall so I didn't worry about it much thinking she wasn't fit, was unbalanced, green etc but after after about 6 weeks of legging up, she still wasn't getting it so I decided to have the vet/chiro out.

She was right hip high and slightly forward that's about the only thing they found bone wise. She was sore in the low back but more so on the right. She adjusted her, showed me the sore spots and I used surpass for a few days and an now massaging after riding. I've been doing the ab lift exercises too and have an appointment with a saddle fitter in a few weeks but I had it professionally fitted last year and she still has a pretty uniformed sweat mark so while I know their backs change, it's not a terrible fit.

Anyways, she's getting that left lead like a champ now and I'm so so so happy about it. But I'm wondering if I should have her back out. I know people chiropractors say you need to come back again and again and again. Bones just move right back and muscles memorize the incorrect position. But, She said if it helped, great and if not, she could come back out and do some other things. But, can one visit "cure" it? Im so relieved but worry it's too good to be true! :-D

Just curious how your vet chiro handle follow up visits. Thanks

Speaking from my own experience with a back sore horse, one visit is not enough, esp if the problem has been around for awhile.
    I found a really excellent chiro (had to try a few different ones to see a real difference) and am now having my horse adjusted once a month.
    The first adjustment made some improvements, but didn't last very long - maybe a week.
    Second adjustment was a bit improved and this time lasted a little longer.
    Third adjustment and I am thrilled to see my horse moving better and more forward.
    I plan to keep the adjustments monthly for half the year, then see how he does if I go every other month, and wean down from there.

I see a chiro myself when I have a troublesome area acting up, and it usually takes 2 - 4 visits for me to really feel "fixed". I'm sure that varies per patient

Not certain chiropractic would necessarily help...how often depends on her issues and if chiro work will benefit her. I do 1-2 times a year, but some may do monthly or quarterly. For the price, I've not found much bang for my buck and prefer a good massage over chiro adjustments.

If I have no specific issues, I try to have the chiro out at least twice a year to look at my boys. Usually one of them ends up with an issue, so typically they see her three times a year.

My post Lyme horse has occasional flare-ups and I've had the Chiropractor out several times over the past year. It does help him. What has helped the most is changing his diet to very high fat and 1000iu daily natural vitamin e. He gets no grain. He's been on this diet per chiro/vet since August 13 and it's made an enormous difference in his comfort level and he's finally filling out-that's just a bonus!
    "The heart catches things, the minds eye won't see."
    Clint Black

Quote Originally Posted by dehere98 View Post
    My post Lyme horse has occasional flare-ups and I've had the Chiropractor out several times over the past year. It does help him. What has helped the most is changing his diet to very high fat and 1000iu daily natural vitamin e. He gets no grain. He's been on this diet per chiro/vet since August 13 and it's made an enormous difference in his comfort level and he's finally filling out-that's just a bonus!
    What do you feed him? I have one prone to muscle soreness and would like to find a solution. Thanks!

Mine see the chiro as needed. There's no schedule to it. usually I like to have them seen at least once a year as maintenance if they are in work. otherwise, when I can feel or see something going on, I give her a call.

I use a chiro as needed for my horse. I've had him a little over a year, and he's been adjusted three times. The first one was pretty extensive (he was crooked and out in every way possible), and the other two were more minor adjustments. His main trouble is his atlas getting jammed on the left side (he's had that adjusted twice) and his left shoulder being out (adjusted twice.) His pelvis was totally out of whack for his last adjustment (in February or March?) and the adjustment has held, having no issues.
    Newbie event rider dreaming of rocking BN with my young OTTB!

Adventures with my Baby TB Blog