The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default SQUEEEEE!! New Foster Kitty

Oh My! I am in trouble! I brought home a new foster kitty last night He was picked up on the side of the road by a local vet hospital...a bit skinny, has fleas, ear mites, worms, typical stray kitteh issues. But, oh is he a cuddler!

He is a little 18 week old ball of black fluff that purrs like crazy. Pictures to come soon. He (Onyx I think!) is being quarantined for a few days before I let him meet the permanent dog and cat. The cat is a little scared of the kitten squeaks coming from our spare bedroom, and the dog is just dyeing to meet her new friend. As the current house cat is not cuddly at all, I am completely enthralled with this little furball

So, two questions:

Kitty will be neutered in 3 weeks when he goes back for a check up. What is the typical age for neutering male kittys?

The vet only had him for less than 24 hrs so he isn't really on a steady diet and they didn't really specify what to feed him. Should he be eating kitten food, or is adult dry food okay? I haven't had a kitten in years....I always get the full grown adults so I am so tickled to have a kitten. The current cat gets some dry Purina Indoor special blend and then a little bit of wet (usually one of the grain free wets, or Fancy Feast). The wet food depends on how sensitive our palates are that day

Just to clarify, the kitty isn't super malnourished. A little skinny but not exactly starving. Just in need of a little bit of TLC.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yay, a fostered kitteh. Pictures necessary, of course. Kittens can be neutered when they weigh two pounds, so at 18 weeks, he should be well over two pounds. As far as diet, an 18 week old is very much still a kitten, so kitten food is in order, at least the dry food, if you are feeding him dry. Our rescue feeds Professional kitten food to kittens that age, and they usually like it, plus it is reasonably priced. For wet, I have good luck with the Fancy Feast classic varieties, which are grain free and pretty reasonably priced. They feed well too.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Yay!!! Good for you.

Typical age for neutering male kitties: as soon as the testicles are both available for removal, and the testicles are big enough for the vet to be able to handle easily enough to remove (usually 6-8 weeks).

Yes, your kitten needs kitten food, at least until 8-12 months old. Kitten food is designed for GROWING kitties needs!

I would be qting for at least 2 weeks. Any of my rescues must be qtd for at least that long because it can take time for things to show up and if you put them with your crew before that time then they are being put at risk. Otherwise, yes photos please!!!
    Last edited by JLMet; Dec. 7, 2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Bad grammar have I ;)
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

Oooh, yes - agree with JLMet. Have new kitty tested for FIV/FeLV and not only has his regular vaccinations but ALL of his BOOSTERS before mingling with your new kitties.

I still haven't managed to get a decent pic. This kitten does not sit still!! We are calling him Onyx. He is on kitten food (dry) and the classic Fancy Feast. Poor guy thinks he is starving and we are having to keep all dog food and cat food locked in a cupboard out of reach.

The dog has met Onyx and is absolutely fascinated. She can't leave him alone. The kitty is still being quarantined from our other cat, but as of right now he seems quite healthy.

Thanks for the info!