The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Xmas gift ideas for Adult Students

Seems that younger students are easier to buy gifts for. My mom has several adult students and she is in need of ideas for Christmas gift ideas for them. Ideal presents would be under 15-20 bucks but useful. All ideas welcome, thanks!
    Footnote
    Miss Money Penny
    Fuerst Class
    Monroe

Books... Morris, Steinkraus, Self's The Horseman's Encyclopedia, Neil Ffrench Blake (coffee table, gorgeous photography - has dressage and show jumping)...

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

3 members found this post helpful.

How about good things to keep in your trunk during cold weather months - hand cream, lip balm, toe or hand warmers, ear muff things that you can wear with a helmet. One of the best gifts I got one year was a pair of ski socks that were thin enough to wear with riding boots.
    My new mantra - \"Life is too short not to eat ice cream.\"
    ReRiders Clique

I'm an adult, and some of the less expensive but still appreciated gifts include a pair of nice riding gloves, riding socks socks/boot socks (I always seem to need more of these!), gift cards to the local tack shops, a nice pair of spurs or spur straps, a nice riding crop, a framed picture of a favorite horse or from a show, scented candles... I'm a fan of things I can put to use!

4 members found this post helpful.

I second hasahorse and Pancakes' ideas. A little winter care package would be easy (and inexpensive) to put together. Depending on the person, maybe even something for their horse would be appropriate -- stall name plate, engraved brass plate for a halter, embroidered bridle bag or saddle cover, etc.

I got one of those microwaveable bit warmers from my trainer a year or so ago -- I absolutely love it (my horse does too )!

All of the above are good suggestions.

I once got a snow globe with pictures of my horses (in the snow even!) w/reindeer antlers on. It's still one of my favorite gifts.

I always appreciated a nice bottle of wine.

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

My trainer picks things up along the way, over the years she has given me a pillow with a hunt scene, a sketch from an equine artist, winter gloves (I think of her every time I put them on!), a hand-painted tree ornament, and a stall name plate for my horse who basically "retired" the stall he lived it. He no longer lives there, but the plate is still there, and we refer to it as "Grant's Suite", and it makes me smile every time I see it, even if other horses live in it now, it's still "his" stall. None of these items were expensive, I don't think, but they were special and thoughtful, and they reflected the relationship we have as client/trainer.

1 members found this post helpful.

Travel mugs with barn logo on them! I know all of our adults (me included) live on coffee!!

Saddle pads are always useful. Maybe a stall name plaque if they don't have one for their horse? Lots of good idea on here already.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

I definitely suggest not doing alcohol. Not everybody drinks.

6 members found this post helpful.

I love the idea of the travel mug with the barn logo on it!

Baby pads with the barn logo?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Smartpak has personalized picture frames that are pretty inexpensive. That, tall boot socks, and gloves always go over well at our secret santas.

If you have enough pictures of the person and/or her horse, I like to make personalized calendars. Very easy to put together online or at any drugstore, and always a hit.
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

Bailey's to put in coffee before morning lessons. At least, that's what I like. Bonus: a more relaxed rider. (;

Does anyone know where you can get travel mugs made with the barn name on them?

Haha, I got a bad rating for saying some people don't drink? It's true, some people don't. I don't drink even though I am an adult and when I get wine I have to just pass it off to a friend I know that drinks. Majority of my family doesn't drink (and none of them drink wine) so it can't even be used by my family.

10 members found this post helpful.

Wow, some really great ideas in this thread! Not as practical as many that have been mentioned, but a girl on another forum makes custom clay ornaments from a picture you send her, and I bought a couple as gifts for students/other horsey adults. Just a nice personal touch on the Christmas tree, and very reasonably priced! I guess it's a bit late in the year for custom gifts, but it's a nice thought, especially if anyone is thinking for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruise Control View Post
    Does anyone know where you can get travel mugs made with the barn name on them?
    We get stuff for my work from a place called 4Imprint. I've ordered personalized metal water bottles from there for meetings that have been really awesome. I also have a sample of one of their travel mugs that I've been using at work for like three years and it's great.