The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Advise...friend told me to try eventing board

Need some help. I am going to sell my Holsteiner/TB cross. I bought him as a 3'6" hunter prospect for a pro to ride while I did my dressage work on him. Possible resale prospect due to great jump and I am still a sucker for a great jumping horse. Due to an unfortunate pro jumping program that I will not get into here my horse lost his confidence. He is not a stopper but is very scared and needs to be helped by a confident soft experienced rider to regain his attitude over fences. I don't jump anymore so he has not jumped in 7 months. He needed that break I think.
    I am 62 years old, can ride him training level dressage and also work with a dressage pro. At this time in life I no longer want a project horse and no longer feel like showing, I have decided to sell him. Of course I will never get what I paid for him and am very realistic and know that every month I keep him is money I could put towards another horse.
    Since my friend events I was wondering whether an event rider would be interested in this kind of project. I am not sure how to market him yet, so since I think most eventers are more educated about riding both disciplines felt it best to ask here versus hunter OR dressage...Opinons needed.
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

In general eventers pay less for their prospects than hunters and dressage riders, often a lot less. If you really just want out, and he needs significant reschooling over fences, perhaps selling him as a dressage horse is the fastest/easiest route?

Which isn't to say an eventer or hunter wouldn't be interested in putting in that time if he seemed talented enough, and if he were young enough and the price were right. But since bold is important to eventers and relaxed to hunters, it sounds like he might be a larger project in those disciplines?

2 members found this post helpful.

I think he could be marketable...at the right price. You say he needs a soft, confident, experienced rider-- is that to retrain to sell, as in, you're trying to find someone to help get him going for you, then sell? Or are you just trying to sell him "as is?" As is, I don't think he'll bring much as a jumping horse; someone else will have to pay to put that retraining into him. But I do think you could find a local eventer who is a soft, sympathetic rider to put some miles on him; perhaps getting out of the arena, popping over a few logs will build his confidence and get him happy jumping again.
    “A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it.”
    ? Albert Einstein

~AJ~

You are in NJ...there are some really top knotch eventers in your neck of the woods who would take on a project for re-sale and have connections in both the event world, show world and dressage world.

It sounds like he needs some basic restarting over fences to see what Job he would be most suited for and then to get a bit of show miles to get him sold. I think your friend is probably on the right track recommending an eventer to help you out.

Most of the top event trainers will be heading south shortly (typically Aiken SC or Florida) so the question is do you want to send him off with someone for a few months, or keep hime close to you.

You could contact Doug Payne or Sinead Halpin ---both in NJ. I think Buck Davidson is as well (or Bucks Co. PA). There are also a TON down a bit further in South East PA. Courtney Cooper sells a lot of horses as well.

I guess I would look around and price some of the trainers and see who works well for you time, distance and cost wise. But sending him south is probably where most of the "selling" is going to be taking place for the next few months.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    It sounds like he needs some basic restarting over fences to see what Job he would be most suited for and then to get a bit of show miles to get him sold. I think your friend is probably on the right track recommending an eventer to help you out.

Most of the top event trainers will be heading south shortly (typically Aiken SC or Florida) so the question is do you want to send him off with someone for a few months, or keep hime close to you.

You could contact Doug Payne or Sinead Halpin ---both in NJ. I think Buck Davidson is as well (or Bucks Co. PA). There are also a TON down a bit further in South East PA. Courtney Cooper sells a lot of horses as well.

I guess I would look around and price some of the trainers and see who works well for you time, distance and cost wise. But sending him south is probably where most of the "selling" is going to be taking place for the next few months.
    I already spoke with Courtney Cooper and yes she will be heading south as I know most will be. The sales and training board she gets are not affordable for what I am considering asking for him. He did hack out and jump small natural jumps in the fields because he comes from hunt country. He never hunted as he was bought as a green prospect.
    I am thinking of selling him as a dressage horse. It's just that he has so much scope and a beautiful jump that it's a waste.....but what can one do :-(
    He will make a good amateur's dressage horse, but not sure he would be a good jumping horse for one unless they were a very very good ammy.
    But thanks for all input.
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Personally, when I am looking for an eventer - a confident horse is one of the first things on my list. Nothing worse than galloping a nervous nelly over solid obstacles.

I had a horse that was a great jumper - but was just never confident enough for eventing (even though I managed to milk him around prelim).

We switched to an H/J barn where he was much happier.

1 members found this post helpful.

How old is this horse?

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com

How did he lose his nerve? Did he have a crash?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Points View Post
    How old is this horse?

Mary in Western NY
    http://www.bpequine.com
    he is 7 yr old...started at 4.5 years ole and not started jumping til 5 yr old. I purchased him from the breeder.
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    How did he lose his nerve? Did he have a crash?
    No he is way too careful....did not crash. I will PM you....don't want any problems posting publically.
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Does anyone know how to read their PM's? When I go to my mail page they are covered by the pictures on the right on this page!!!

Some people are giving me suggestions of people to help and I canot read whole messages or reply.

so please email me until I figure out how to fix this parrotnutz@aol.com. All the suggestions are helpful
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

^^^ You have to try a different browers. I had the same issue with outdated IE. Google Chome works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Appsolute View Post
    ^^^ You have to try a different browers. I had the same issue with outdated IE. Google Chome works fine.

Thanks App...chrome worked!!
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

I agree that confidence is an extremely important trait in an eventer but a patient trainer could possibly restore his confidence if she were given ample time. Not sure it is something that someone would want to pay for the right to do however. Maybe either do a giveaway to someone reputable or pay someone to straighten his head out then sell him.

Its unlikely he fantasizes about jumping LOL sell him as a dressage horse since you can do that right now.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    I agree that confidence is an extremely important trait in an eventer but a patient trainer could possibly restore his confidence if she were given ample time. Not sure it is something that someone would want to pay for the right to do however. Maybe either do a giveaway to someone reputable or pay someone to straighten his head out then sell him.
    Thanks, but he is far from a give away.He is a good dressage horse and likes it alot. I am just a sucker for a good jumping horse and wanted to see what others thought before marketing him.
    Realistically I know every month I pay board that is money I could put towards a new horse who is not a project, but, I can ride him. He is certainly not unrideable. Just at 62 I would prefer a more made horse so I can concentrate on me for a change.
    I would rather take the lose on what I paid for him then try to re school.\ his jumping.
    Was just asking the possiblities.
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    Its unlikely he fantasizes about jumping LOL sell him as a dressage horse since you can do that right now.
    HAHAHAHA you are so right. I dreamnt of him doing the bigger stuff.....he dreams of eating!
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com

2 members found this post helpful.

I would market him as a dressage horse but you could also mention that he has jumped and with proper training could be talented. Everyone else is right though, you can't ask for much for him as a jumping horse but you can ask for a lot more as a dressage horse. If you really want him to go to a jumping home you're going to have to suck it up and either give him away or sell him at way below his true value.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Nest View Post
    I would market him as a dressage horse but you could also mention that he has jumped and with proper training could be talented. Everyone else is right though, you can't ask for much for him as a jumping horse but you can ask for a lot more as a dressage horse. If you really want him to go to a jumping home you're going to have to suck it up and either give him away or sell him at way below his true value.
    Yup you guys have convinced me that dressage is the way to market him....and he does like it.
    Once again I want to thank you all for hearing me out and helping me!!
    Adriane
    www.ParrotNutz.com