The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Problem solved, but still wondering about its cause

My youngest cat (one year old on 12/12/12!!) had a spectacularly horrible diarhhea event on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Lasted all night and most of the next day, poor guy.

He is all better now and on antibiotic/anti-inflammatory/probiotics for the next week. Had to spend the day at the vets. He has never been sick a day in his little life before this.

Tests all came back negative for giardia, etc. etc. etc. None of my 4 cats goes outdoors. They don't come into contact with any other animals, ever. None of them has been sick lately.

Is it reasonable to assume that he must have gotten ahold of a mouse and ate part of it? I know we do have mice in the (very old) house occasionally. I really can't think of any other way this could have happened.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

I'd be more inclined to think he got into some chemical, have you cleaned the floors or shower or did he get under a cupboard where he could step in something then lick it off his foot? Utility room, deicer, upholstery cleaned...

maybe a bad bug-stink bugs are bad. My mom's cat ate a lizard and nearly died of it which if you're in MA probably isn't an issue this time of year...

my cats eat scads of gophers and mice and are never sick from that...

Garbage can enteritis! I.e. eating crap/dietary indescretion. Eating ANYTHING different than a normal diet can cause this. He could have found a glob of old food under the couch for all you know (not insinuating that you have globs of old food under your couch!).

A vet I once used called it bug-itis. They eat some beetle or something and get a really nasty but short lived reaction.

Cats is weird...

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    Cats is weird...
    But isn't that why we love them?

I'm also likely to think that this cat got into something (or chewed on something) that the others didn't and therefore got sick. It really doesn't take much to throw them out of whack which is why it's probably a good thing that Mother Nature helps them to get rid of whatever is irritating them, via one end or the other, in a spectacularly quick fashion.

Glad the Almost-Birthday-Boy is doing better.

1 members found this post helpful.