The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Trailers and spooky horses are never a good mix. If nothing else, this should be a reminder of using the utmost care when loading and unloading horses. And someone rushing up on a spooking horse could easily have added fuel to an already hot situation.

This is sad that it resulted in medical bills but its better to let a panicked horse break off a rope and get out of the trailer, which is probably what happened anyway - after the filly kicked the plaintiff in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    ^^This.^^ Anyone who works for a trainer should know that a spooked two year old is nothing to get close to, unless it's absolutely necessary. And in this case, it wasn't. Dumb mistake on her part, and now she's looking for someone to pay her bills. Pretty sleazy, IMO.

Also, I didn't read the entire decision, but anyone with as much experience as the plaintiff should have known better than to sue over something like this. As others have said, $h!t happens with horses, and this time, it hit her. Glad to see justice prevailing.

Well.... I really don't know if trying to help an old man, as he is getting trampled by a horse, really deserves the descriptives of 'dumb, sleazy'.... If I see your Grandma getting trampled by a horse, I'll be sure to keep your viewpoint in mind when I consider whether or not I am going to help her.

5 members found this post helpful.

Sort of like 12 year old kids writing on the bathroom wall.

Childish.
    Last edited by cssutton; Dec. 10, 2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Meant to be in reply to thumbs up/down

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Well.... I really don't know if trying to help an old man, as he is getting trampled by a horse, really deserves the descriptives of 'dumb, sleazy'.... If I see your Grandma getting trampled by a horse, I'll be sure to keep your viewpoint in mind when I consider whether or not I am going to help her.
    Typical IZS post - ignore the gist of what was being said, and concentrate on anything that'll enable her to stir the pot. Charming, as usual.

And if you manage to see my Grandma with a horse, being trampled or otherwise, do let me know. And I'd see a therapist for hallucinations, also, since she's been dead for thirty years.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

1 members found this post helpful.

Regardless of the intiricacies of the law, people who do the Right Thing in the face of danger are exhibiting bravery, especially when they know the danger and take actio anywayt. Too bad bravery is not rewarded.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

5 members found this post helpful.

I totally agree with Foxtrot's. Remember the video of the motorcyclist trapped under a burning car in Utah or somewhere? And several guys of different races all ran up and lifted the car and pulled the guy out and saved him? Many years ago, when Fran Tarkenton of UGA and Minnesota Vikings fame had the TV show showing acts of bravery, a truck driver was his is wrecked big rig, trapped under the steering wheel when another truck driver stopped and put a chain on the wheel and pulled it away and then got the driver out? All on film. (Who stops to film a disaster?) The driver said he'd put his head back into the smoke since he didn't want to be burned alive. But he was saved.

I guess if everyone ignored everyone in jeopardy, we'd have a lot more dead people....and horses. I twice in over 20 yrs in Atlanta caught loose horses on the road, once the APD mounted horses on the way to work, and once over on Peachtree-Dunwoody when a horse got loose from a guy at the barn that used to be there. I sure did not want to see a horse get hit by a car. And yes, I carried a halter and a lead rope, as well as a leash and a collar for just such events. I just left my then boyfriend and my car sitting in traffic to catch the horses. (He couldn't change gears) I just considered it something that someone who was experienced with horses would do to catch a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    Regardless of the intiricacies of the law, people who do the Right Thing in the face of danger are exhibiting bravery, especially when they know the danger and take actio anywayt. Too bad bravery is not rewarded.
    China is stepping up to the call....

"Families of people hurt or killed performing acts of heroism will receive help with their medical costs, living expenses and accommodation, as the government looks to build a safety net for Good Samaritans.

Experts say the measures, announced Thursday by the State Council, will help battle the "bystander effect" and encourage more people to assist others in times of need."

http://usa.chinadaily.com.cn/epaper/...t_15623580.htm

3 members found this post helpful.