The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I fell off tonight...

Yup. It was way past due. It's been at least a year since the last time I tested the arena footing. I think poor Willow is just as traumatized!

She was great through our entire ride. Went from bucking every time I put my leg on to moving forward with less drama. I was sitting at the end of our ride, chit chatting with the BO and the cat came up for a pat.

He was going back and forth along the arena while while we chatted and my phone went off. DH has been ill, so I checked it. Apparently (and this is a self made monster) kitty dearest thought that I had an extra kitty cookie in my pocket still.

He lept from the wall, right square onto Willow's butt. Willow's eyes just about rolled back into her head, and she froze. I could feel her shaking (because 10lb fat barn kitty is a real threat... but I get it. Instincts and all that jazz). I patted her, and turned to dislodged kitty before he could move. He didn't care to be dislodged and sank his little kitty claws into poor Willow's poorly clipped badonadonk.

The BO said that she's never seen a horse leap so high in the air. I didn't stand a chance. I went straight up, and landed in the same place. Willow was bucking, kitty hanging on for dear life, yeowling his little head off. The harder she bucked, the more he clung. The BO and I were transfixed.

She finally stopped after a few minutes of this hysteria. Kitty lept to freedom and ran yeowling out of the area as fast as his stubby little legs would carry him. He followed me around the barn for the rest of the night, making sure that I caught his death stare. I tried to give him scritches, and all I got in return was a squinty eyed glare before he sulked off.

Then. I went grocery shopping for Advil, wine, and a VERY nice cat toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

22 members found this post helpful.

I feel really guilty for laughing, but I did giggle a little bit. Glad you're okay and hope Willow and Kitty aren't too traumatized.

3 members found this post helpful.

Sorry you ate dirt, but...

I fell off last Tuesday. Mine wasn't nearly so interesting, but it was rather dumb. One of those falls where I really shouldn't have lost it, but I somehow managed to. At least it was slow motion and I landed on my butt.

1 members found this post helpful.

I normally just attempt to pretend that my falls never really actually happened... but this was just too bizarre!
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

Oh, wow. I think I would cry, then laugh hysterically, if that happened to me. Let's hope Kitty stays out of the arena next time!
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Wow, if that ordeal were to be caught on video, you would be pretty famous by now! The experience does sound ultra traumatic but I'm glad you all emerged relatively unscathed.

Btw, technically you didn't FALL off, you were bucked off. Big difference IMHO, since I'm a veteran of both...
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

7 members found this post helpful.

Cat toy shmat toy, my sympathy is all with Willow (and you)! How would you like those claws digging into you unexpectedly??!
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

2 members found this post helpful.

Omg I'm sorry but that is the funniest thing I've heard all night! I'm impressed kitty stayed on through the bucking, lol.

As long as you're not hurt, can you re-create the moment and video it?

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    I second this. It needs to be done.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand

4 members found this post helpful.

I honestly think this is the best falling off story EVER!!!!! (Sorry you ate dirt...)
    Boomer's Hopes & Dreams
    On Facebook
    Tia - The Rescue
    RIP Boomer - May 21, 1989 - November 3, 2010

Oh for a video camera! So glad everyone is ok but man...poor choice kitty!

Great story!!!

It caught my eye because I fell of today too..... it was the first time since about 7 years ago and really I will turn 50 next year so its nothing I desire....
    I was really stupid. My mare rested for 5 weeks because of a little joint problem ( which is hopefully recovered completely...) and today I mounted her for the first time since 5 weeks ago... She was very electric but ok until some ponys outside the barn started to race around...... We have a lot of snow right now and its very cold. She did a huge jump and I flew like a rocket.....
    Then I came down pretty hard and now my butt hurts.... But my head was well protected by my Casco Helmet.......
    OK maybe I should have lunged her first...... I guess no riding now for the next days.....
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

I couldn't believe it when he actually made the leap! He must have a death wish, that's the only thing that I could think of. I'm rather ashamed that HE stayed on and I did not, but I will not admit that to him. Kitty cannot know that he has the upper hand.

It's probably safe to assume that his career as a cowboy was a quick one but Kitty and Willow have since made nice! The proof is in the pudding!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
    Great story!!!

It caught my eye because I fell of today too..... it was the first time since about 7 years ago and really I will turn 50 next year so its nothing I desire....
    I was really stupid. My mare rested for 5 weeks because of a little joint problem ( which is hopefully recovered completely...) and today I mounted her for the first time since 5 weeks ago... She was very electric but ok until some ponys outside the barn started to race around...... We have a lot of snow right now and its very cold. She did a huge jump and I flew like a rocket.....
    Then I came down pretty hard and now my butt hurts.... But my head was well protected by my Casco Helmet.......
    OK maybe I should have lunged her first...... I guess no riding now for the next days.....
    Oh man! I guess that one gets filed under that "you live and you learn" heading. I'm glad that you were okay!

We were all fine but for my pride and my bum! I didn't even hit my head, so I could have an excuse to get a new brown CO!

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I couldn't believe it when he actually made the leap! He must have a death wish, that's the only thing that I could think of. I'm rather ashamed that HE stayed on and I did not, but I will not admit that to him. Kitty cannot know that he has the upper hand.

It's probably safe to assume that his career as a cowboy was a quick one but Kitty and Willow have since made nice! The proof is in the pudding!
    It sounds really really special and is at least something which will probably not happen again......
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

Sorry you came off, but that's hilarious!

The barn I rode at when I first started lessons had one very grumpy mare and one kitty with a death wish. The mare swished her tail often, gorgeous, long tail, and when she would be on an especially grumpy day, he used to dart out, take a swipe at it, then jump away. She never hit him, though she tried.

I don't feel sorry for the kitty at all...I feel sorry for you! Hopefully this event will keep his little kitty greed from getting the best of him in the future!
    Glad you're ok!

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I second this. It needs to be done.
    I third it. I'd like to see that for myself. The barn cats I've been around jump off as soon as the horse moves.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Cool

OP, that is a fantastic story. Glad you weren't hurt.

I too had a recent "fall" and I almost posted about it here. The other day while warming up for a jumper schooling show, I approached a crossrail (maybe 12-18 inches) at a nice working trot. Knowing that Maresy usually jumps the first couple of small jumps kind of stupid-like, I felt ready for anything. Well, Maresy decided to not jump the crossrail, but rather fall into it. She kneeled on the poles and dropped her head. In slow motion, I slid cleanly down her neck and over her head. I landed on my feet, facing her, on the other side of the jump with the ENTIRE BRIDLE, reins and all, in my hands.

We stood on opposite sides of the jump blinking at each other for a few seconds like "WTF just happened?" If DH had not been in the arena to witness it, I doubt anyone would have believed me.

So technically I didn't fall off. I like to look at it as an "emergency slide down the neck and cling to the head for dear life dismount." I nailed the landing though, my old gymnastics coach would have been proud.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    I so wish there were video of my fall. I'd be $10,000 richer, me thinks. And I could not recreate it to save my life. Sounds like the OP can't either!
    Last edited by drmgncolor; Dec. 11, 2012 at 03:11 PM.
    Dreaming in Color

5 members found this post helpful.