The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Because of the budgetary realities of a lot of people who are likely to purchase one, a lot of OTTB's don't get access to the same level of training that a WB of comparable ability would. And then they're compared disfavorably and the cycle continues. I love that these guys are at a professional farm and I like seeing the different approaches to each horse from the same trainer.
    I thought the trainers from the last challenge did a great job too.
    I agree. I think that the vast majority of every day budget focused riders in eventing *get* that OTTB's rock. Putting them in the hands of a top pro to show the extent of the potential they offer is a great idea. Absolutely the next step is to show that in a professional program, they have the same potential as a warmblood and illustrate the process.

I think there is room for other scenarios to showcase the horses, but maybe someone else needs to come up with that- room for both.

And I think trainers have every right to profit from their skills while promoting OTTB's....

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by baxtersmom View Post
    Hey troll-fingers thumbs-downiepantz, you know -- if you have criticisms of the RRTP, it would be more productive (oh, and MATURE) to EXPRESS them rather than just anonymously "not appreciate" posts about it. Unless you're in middle school or something; in that case, please don't bother...
    Seriously. (and I will probably be red thumbed for agreeing )

I think the program is fantastic. It was such a blast following the progress last year. Even though the format is different this time, the educational value is still legit. Seeing how the same trainer educates 4 completely different personalities will be really helpful.

What stays consistent, what needs to adapt to meet the horses individual needs, what steps can be fast-tracked for the quick learner . . . etc.

Probably next year will bring yet another format, and that'll be fine too.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

6 members found this post helpful.

Let me clarify that my problem with the format is very much not with the Pittmans. I just feel like last year you got a chance to root for whichever team you thought was best and hope that they "won." This year they are all more or less on the same team. It doesn't have the same feel of friendly competition to me. Anything that helps horses find homes and gets the word out about OTTBs is a good thing obviously but I enjoyed the competitive part of it as well. (Even though the "wrong" horse won!)

5 members found this post helpful.

I prefer the old challenge but do see the merit in the new one, although I do not believe I will follow with any kind of the same degree of interest. I thought it was very enlightening how 4 different trainers approached the same challenge. I think it showcased how one size does not fit all from a training point of view, and gave people the chance to see how an OTTB can fit various types of riders. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by tradewind View Post
    I prefer the old challenge but do see the merit in the new one, although I do not believe I will follow with any kind of the same degree of interest. I thought it was very enlightening how 4 different trainers approached the same challenge. I think it showcased how one size does not fit all from a training point of view, and gave people the chance to see how an OTTB can fit various types of riders. Just my two cents.
    I hope you give it a shot though. I think we'll see that this one also shows that once size does not fit all-I imagine these four horses won't be on parallel paths for the next 100 days. We'll also likely get to see two or more riders on each horse and that will be informative.
    Personally, I'm more excited about the 4 horses this time than I was last time. The first challenge, Solidify was the one who really drew my eye and attention. This year, I'm intrigued by all of them from the start.

2 members found this post helpful.

I just went back and read the first "training diary" entries of the four horses. I think this is going to be very interesting to watch and follow because I would assume that a trainer like Steuart already has a system that he tries to start out with and then modifies accordingly to the horse as time goes on.

I learned a lot the first time around, especially with Eric Dierck's first video, and especially not to be "clutchy" with regard to keeping them forward.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the training regimen is adjusted for each horse. I hope that there are a lot of explanations of why things were done one way rather than another as we go along.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Let me clarify that my problem with the format is very much not with the Pittmans. I just feel like last year you got a chance to root for whichever team you thought was best and hope that they "won." This year they are all more or less on the same team. It doesn't have the same feel of friendly competition to me. Anything that helps horses find homes and gets the word out about OTTBs is a good thing obviously but I enjoyed the competitive part of it as well. (Even though the "wrong" horse won!)
    There was no wrong or right due to the voting system...A Popular vote winner and a Judges/Critics choice awards would have showed I believe 2 diffrent out comes...Agree w/ you Laurie..Plus having the complete ensemble placed before you without knowing seeing or even having opportunities for smaller boutiqe breeders to have the chance to apply makes it all one's show. This one is not outside participant friendly.
    SP and DoDon Staff will do a very good job but w/ less diversity I think is where I am going.....

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    There was no wrong or right due to the voting system...A Popular vote winner and a Judges/Critics choice awards would have showed I believe 2 diffrent out comes...Agree w/ you Laurie..Plus having the complete ensemble placed before you without knowing seeing or even having opportunities for smaller boutiqe breeders to have the chance to apply makes it all one's show. This one is not outside participant friendly.
    SP and DoDon Staff will do a very good job but w/ less diversity I think is where I am going.....
    The presence of big names is what will generate publicity among people who are not already predisposed to follow this endeavor and I think that's a good thing. If you're aiming for maximum exposure in the racing industry it makes sense to go with names people have heard of. Boutique breeders have their role but in an event designed to bring more attention to post race careers, the bigger the name the bigger the impact. Which is why I'm so excited Declan's Moon is involved in this project.

I loved the format last year and I will thoroughly enjoy the format this year. Steuart and Erin are such wonderful champions of OTTBs...yes, I know not the only ones...and I was very impressed with Steuart's commentary at the Challenge finals. It could have gone HOURS longer and every person in that arena would still have been hanging on every word.

I have oft quoted his "These horses have value!" statement to anyone who will listen, but it's way more powerful coming from him!

As we follow the progress of these four horses, we will choose our favorites, same as we did last year, format notwithstanding. I'm willing to bet that this year's turnout will be even bigger than last year.

6 members found this post helpful.

Although I LOVED last year's format - the incredible success of the the event hid how hard it would be to organize. Kudos to all the behind-the-scenes organizers for last year. That success required countless hours by many people (most of it was clearly volunteer and a pure labor of love).

Changing the format so as not to burn out everyone is a smart move. Best wishes to this year's contestants. Keep up the PR - spreading the word is the most important piece of this puzzle in creating a demand for OTTBs. Providing an intimate view of retraining OTTBs is priceless. The better TBs are "restarted" the better their chance of survival. It's a harsh world out there, as many a COTH thread of TBs pulled from auctions show.

I hope the "competition" has many award categories - as each horse brings different gifts. The ability to award those gifts will only encourage others. Perhaps last year's format also had several types of awards in addition to the grand prize.

Keep taking and posting the training videos - they are priceless "training" tools for those of us interesting in learning more about riding and training. I still go back and watch some of last year's videos on youtube. I am very grateful to the time given by the (freezing) staff taking the videos! Don't forget the editing and posting too (hopefully accomplished in a heated and cozier setting).

Already smitten with Suave Jazz, the older horse: http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...68929791_n.jpg

Have been thinking about this format, and here's why I like it better. In the other challenge, there was pressure for the trainers to outdo each other and win. It was not apples to apples and that showed at the Pennsylvania expo and in the videos. Hacks through the woods and popping over logs are different than an intense flat or jumping session. People then voted for dissimilar things. Eric Dierks shared that he was preparing Brazilian Wedding (who I bought, and love) to be presented to potential buyers and indicated that on this program she could be at training level in six months (instead she got some chillax time and was bought by a rerider as a low-level mount and peppermint receptacle).

The other trainers presented videos of hacks, mini x-c schools, trips to new environments, and other experiences to get the horses comfortable in a new career-- along with flat and jump training videos.

The program was also educational, but it made it more difficult to see the horses' individual qualities and needs.

I like the way we are seeing these horses bloom at different rates and in different ways while at the same farm, working with the same people, for the same amount of time.

You can already see how the little gray filly has different needs than the older campaigner, etc. We can all use this reminder of how each horse is an individual, and we are seeing the balance between the fundamentals that do not change and the adjustments we make to accommodate our horses' needs. 100 days is better than a month, too.

Last time was good and is the reason I have a very nice horse, though I decided I wanted her based on the video of her at liberty.

We are going to learn a lot from this format.

I must also tip my hat to the program participants for choosing a diverse group of high-quality horses.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

5 members found this post helpful.

I really like the format. I'm following it on facebook and it's the highlight of my day when a new update about the 4 horses is posted, or a new video is posted. I like that they are all in the same program with the same trainer; it really makes it all about the horses. I wish I could be there in the spring for the PA expo, but it's pretty far away from me.

Coincidentally, I just got a new OTTB 3 weeks ago; so I sort of feel like I'm "following along" with the program. It's fun. I go out and ride and try to do the same things that they are doing with the foursome.

I hope Declan heals up soon and gets back to work. I'm also a racing fan and remember watching him run. He is going to be very nice if he keeps his head in the game.

I think that if some people could see the purpose behind what RRTP is all about we could appreciate the hardwork of one particular individual who has devoted his time and effort to encourage not only prospective buyers to consider purchasing a Ottb over a "fancy" warmblood but also to increase the market for these creatures so that owners and trainers would consider selling their horses to good homes verses them being sent to slaughter or way lesser tracks. If you have ever met Steuart you would know how much passion he has for this project and if he does get publicity for it well geez I think he deserves it. This only their second year and I'm sure it will just keep getting better

What happened to Declan? I have to admit that I absolutely detest Facebook so I don't go there, but there was nothing about any accident on the regular RRRP page. All I see there is the first week's training description.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    What happened to Declan? I have to admit that I absolutely detest Facebook so I don't go there, but there was nothing about any accident on the regular RRRP page. All I see there is the first week's training description.
    Abcess brewing I think. They mentioned maybe needing to add shoes.

good news

anything to get interest for the good tbs

Yep, NCRider is right, we think there may be an abscess (or maybe we'll get lucky and find it's just a bruise). Vet and farrier both concurred, farrier found a track but couldn't get it - didn't want to dig any deeper. Steuart longed him today and he said he looked about 80% better.
    Erin
    Dodon Farm - Home of Salute The Truth, Thoroughbred Stallion and on Facebook
    The Retired Racehorse Training Project, a 501(c)3 Non profit organization.

Suave Jazz is going hunting on Sunday. Yay!!!

NCRider-
    I posted that very question concerning the last group of horses and their current situations on the RRTP FB page and got this...

"We know that Brazilian Wedding, Tempyst (Four X The Trouble), and Solidify have all found new homes-they're all in Maryland and doing various things with their new owners (you'll see photos of both Tempyst and Solidify in the Thoroughbreds for All! Fair Hill photo album). We need to check into High Level to see what he's up to these days."