The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Colic In The 36yo Horse

So my old guy is 36yo this year and is still happy and healthy for the most part. This morning, he came down, ate, and seemed fine. When I went to give him his noon feeding, he didn't want to eat. He ended up laying down and it took us forever to get him back up. Vet came out and tubed him. He had very hard stool, but the vet thought he would be OK. Fast foward 12 hours. He still has not passed any more manure and isn't eating or drinking. His gait seems off while he is moving around the stall. His vitals are completely normal at this time. I can't for the life of me figure out what is going on. I ***know*** he's old, but even the vet said he looked fantastic for his age.

We could really use some jingles...
    Boarding for Show, Pleasure, and Retirement horses. www.LockeMeadows.com

Jingles for your horse, I can imagine how hard this is for you.

Have you considered putting an IV on him? If he hasn't been drinking for all those hours, he could be getting dehydrated and that won't help with passing any stools.

1 members found this post helpful.

It doesn't sound like it's necessarily age related. Impaction colic doesn't always resolve quickly or easily.

We went through an impaction colic with our 23 year old pony mare this summer. She has very few teeth and a wave mouth. She was on pasture, it rained for a couple of days so we pulled them off the pasture and gave them hay instead, and wham, she impacted. Vet had a terrible time getting a tube into her, we were having serious discussions (no surgery, not going to put her through that, etc.) She did recover fully, but now everything she eats is soaked with lots of water. Here's hoping your boy recovers. Is it cold down there? Maybe he needs heated water buckets?

"Paris" had a severe colic episode 2 weeks ago. Our wonderful and very patient Vet was at the barn 3 times/day to tube and evaluate. Day 3 we ran IV fluids and day 4 she finally started to pass the oh so welcome glossy manure. It took that long to get it all moving. Best of luck with yours. I have a 35 year old and I know how the old ones can be.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Jingles!

Our 34 year old did this. Vet came out we tried different things for a day and a half then took him to the university. They opened him up. I know he was 34 but my husband was 9 years old when he got this horse and my husband was 30 when this happened so we wanted to do anything we could he was just such a good soul. We rode him up until he was 30 years old before he was retired. They opened him up and it wasnt a colic he had dead intestines from blood clots throughout it. They said they could cut out the intestines that were dead but it would come back, could be a month could be a year but it would come back and we decided to let him go. We couldn't out him through this again. If he isn't better before long I'd probably take him to a clinic possibly where they can look at Him closer.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

During the night, he seemed to be doing better, but still wasn't drinking. We took him to our vet's clinic this morning and he went down after we arrived. Right before we loaded, he was acting normal and hopped right on the trailer and we're less than 15 min from the clinic. Once he went down again, we made the ultimate decision. I asked if we should have put him down last night and our vet said he was surprised how quickly things went south, as 20 min prior he was bright and alert. This is my first colic in maybe 10 years give or take. I can remember the last emergency call we've had. It has been years. I have been very lucky! Now I just feel blessed to have had this special horse for almost 11 years.

4 members found this post helpful.

My condolences on your loss. He was a lucky horse to have been so loved for his long life though. I wish all horses were that lucky.

Oh, so sorry LockeMeadows.

Sorry to hear this. It's never easy.

Will you have an exam to determine the cause of his sudden downfall (impaction colic, tumors, etc)?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

My sympathy!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I'm very sorry that you have lost this great horse.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

On a side note: I have seen this happen with an older horse and makes me wonder if its just their time and the GI tract is the first thing to shut down.

He had a nice happy life. I am sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry. It's sounds like you did everything you should have - please don't question yourself. 36 is a grand long life...

How fortunate he was to have you looking after him all those years. Godspeed.