The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

From his video, I dont think New York New York really looks hunter type. He's cute,but I'd think at that price range you would be able to find a more typey hunter. I know he's "up", so maybe when he stretches down and opens up his shoulder he would have a nicer stride?

Yes, I watched one of his race videos and he had a much nicer trot compared to what is shown on the website video. What do you think about his neck conformation though?

I also came across this one...http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...258&Itemid=342 The sore ankle could potentially be a problem, but he looks more huntery to me.

Its fairly high set, but not offensive. I dont think its ewe necked, especially at 3, theres room to develop it more, however I don't see it becoming an especially full or round neck. Typical thoroughbred style...but there's nothing wrong with that Im no conformation expert though!

1 members found this post helpful.

I like this guy for a hunter prospect: http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/princeofproximity/

While I dont think his hind end conformation is wonderful (you may want to inquire about further conformation shots..he looks better in the video) he has a nice way of moving and looks like he wont take much "work" under saddle to make him hunter type.

I have two awesome thoroughbreds, neither have ideal conformation but both are very sound. One (short backed, cow hocked and club footed), has been a very successful 3'6 hunter: http://i50.tinypic.com/102nm2w.jpg

While conformation is important, soundness (some conformation issues don't lead to major soundness issues), and way of going are in my opinion, more important for a B level hunter.

Thanks for your feedback. I like the Prince horse okay, but I'm almost 5.10 and would like to find a horse at least 16.1h. And, I agree that way of going is definitely important. Btw, your horse is really cute!

So many people have probably passed on this one because of his age and amount of starts...I think he's impressive: http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/whos-livin-bettor/ Not sure on height though. He looks solid.

I had one, who raced until he was 9 with over 90 starts. Soundest horse ever, even barefoot. He ended up showing 3' adults in Florida in his late teens. He's in his 20's now and still going strong.

2 members found this post helpful.

I really like New York New York... a lot. OP go look at him.

Quote Originally Posted by fourmares View Post
    I really like New York New York... a lot. OP go look at him.
    I'm in Atlanta, GA and can't go look at him in person, but am having him vetted today. He might not be the perfect 'hunter' prospect, but does look like a nice horse with athletic ability.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    So many people have probably passed on this one because of his age and amount of starts...I think he's impressive: http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/whos-livin-bettor/ Not sure on height though. He looks solid.
    I love that one!
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Yay! I think he's going to be lovely. I hope he passes.

Good Luck! It can be so hard to judge from videos. What you might see in person may not be what others see in the video. And in this case he isn't quite moving out because he is being trotted in hand. So what it looks like here probably isn't as nice as he is when free or undersaddle! His is a big boy that is for sure! But very cute!

Quote Originally Posted by LexieOTTB View Post
    What are your thoughts on his conformation for a hunter-jumper prospect and on his current butt-high look as well? He also seems to toe out a bit on his left front in the photos, but it could just be the way he is standing in the pics. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    The gray is pretty but clearly has some alignment issues. The bay, IMHO, appears better balanced.
    You asked for feedback so here it is: buy this book http://www.amazon.com/Sport-Horse-Co...istian+schacht

It's Christian Schacht's newest book on sport horse conformation. He's the breeding director of Oldenburg NA. You'll learn more more about the natural geometry of horses than you ever imagined.

And no, I don't work for him, or the publisher, or Amazon.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by Mardi View Post
    The gray is pretty but clearly has some alignment issues.
    Yes indeed he does, and the issue is not that he is toeing out on his near fore.
    If you imagine a plumb line dropped down the center of his leg you can see that from the knee down he is very much out of alignment with his "forearm" and at his age there is no correcting that flaw.

Perhaps if he was standing square it wouldn't look so severe, however as he looks in the photo I wouldn't expect him to stay sound.

So, NewYork New York is sold - did you get him LexyOTTB?