The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Calling All Conformation Experts

I have been looking for an OTTB prospect for the past few months to re-train as a hunter eventually. I recently came across a TB that caught my eye, but he seems very butt high to me. He is only 3, is racing fit, and is 16.2 and growing. So, with that being said, my hope is that his top line will even out over time. However, I did a bit of research and discovered that his sire is also somewhat butt-high. What are your thoughts on his conformation for a hunter-jumper prospect and on his current butt-high look as well? He also seems to toe out a bit on his left front in the photos, but it could just be the way he is standing in the pics. Any feedback would be appreciated. I am too far away to go see him in person. http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/teahuppo/

I do not like that hind end at all. So post legged!

5 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for your feedback. Yeah, the more I analyze his conformation, the less appealing he seems. I like his neck and shoulder, but the hind end really concerns me. What do you think about this one? http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/raynicks-token/

Not an expert, however he seems to have a varus limb ( near fore).
    Lovely dapples and the butt high could even up in time.
    If he did not have that left front varus, and had a shorter cannon and longer forearm I'd like him better.. Butt high would not be my biggest concern here, near left front, would..

ETA I'm referring to the gray..
    Last edited by skydy; Dec. 7, 2012 at 01:49 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.

I like him quite a bit better, although the one conformation shot is really at a tough angle to get a good look at how his hind end is put together. He might be quite steep through the croup. He is surprisingly clean legged for 48 starts. With that number, though, I would be a bit cautious about potential wear and tear. He needs some rehab in the foot department--that right front is pretty ugly.

Yes, the 48 starts aren't ideal for a young horse - young to me anyway. I would have a PPE exam done with x-rays of the knees and ankles assuming he passed the flexion tests. He does seem to be put together well and is built more like a WB, especially for being racing fit.

I think another COTHer is looking at the bay. I seem to recall sometging about a ppe

It could be me. I posted in the off course forum about the bay as well.

The bay does look "goose rumped" in the photo but that wouldn't put me off until I had watched him move.

The bay is super cute. I'd take a chance on him.
    --o0o--

The gray is NOT going to even out as a 3 year-old if he is as butt-high as he appears in those photos. The back and front belong to totally different horses. I'd steer clear.

3 members found this post helpful.

I'd buy the bay if you cut him off vertically right in front of his withers. I'd run away screaming from the other half.

Lauren wrote what I was thinking about the gray. I'm no expert but I just cannot imagine he would ever level out. That's as downhill as they come. Too bad because he's pretty otherwise.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

The grey horse comes from a line that can be very butt high as youngsters. I have several from that line. I will say that in general their movement tends more towards eventing, dressage etc, although there are exceptions. Most tend to be sound for long periods at the track. The line is also slow to mature. I suspect his butt and withers will level up but his back will tend to be lower.

Here's another grey at Finger Lakes Finest. Of the two you posted, I liked the bay.

Wow. Don't know if it's how he's set up, but the grey looks like his rear is photoshopped onto his front!
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Quote Originally Posted by LS View Post
    Here's another grey at Finger Lakes Finest. Of the two you posted, I liked the bay.
    I like this one!!! :-)
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

Quote Originally Posted by LS View Post
    I was going to suggest her, as well. She's purty and looks like a good character. I'm no conformation expert, but I don't see anything really wrong with her. Sooo much more balanced than the first grey.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

I was impressed because despite the obviously cold and windy conditions, she was relaxed and carried herself in a nice frame. OP, are you set on a gelding?
    There's another nice "makeover" possibility here, at New Vocations.

What do you all think of this one? http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com/new-york-new-york/ He just turned three in May and has some growing and filling out to do, but his neck concerns me. I know some race horse have under developed top lines, but do you think he has a true ewe neck? Other than that, I like his look.