The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bumps and Lumps, Oh My!

Baxter has broken out in bumps and lumps. There seems to be a fairly even distribution all over his body. They are little bumps and some have broken open/have scabs/pustules. I would say he had rain rot if he were a horse!

Oddly, he is not itchy. Whatever they are doing, they are doing it on their own. Ideas?
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Bee stings? I'm not sure what part of the country that you're in, but could he have gotten into a hive?

That or nettles. Yuck, jingles he gets over it, pronto!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    They are little bumps and some have broken open/have scabs/pustules. I would say he had rain rot if he were a horse!

Oddly, he is not itchy. Whatever they are doing, they are doing it on their own. Ideas?
    He didn't find a fire ant nest, did he?
    Full-time bargain hunter.

2 members found this post helpful.

Nope. They start as raised places, almost like hives, then get pointy then break open and scab over.
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

I am guessing it is hives. Then you need to figure out why. Sorry he is being such a mystery.

That sounds gross. Can you squeeze the lumps? If you can does anything come out? Clear fluid sounds like hives. Pus sounds like he rolled in something pokey.

I have a mental picture of acne... almost. Can you try giving him a bath with baby shampoo to get whatever negative it is out of his fur/skin? After that I would think maybe food?
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

A CBC will probably tell you a lot. Hives arent always itchy, especially if autoimmune related. Bacterial skin infections, immune mediated or tick borne diseases, allergic dermatitis, cutaneous lymphoma are all reasonable diagnoses, but sometimes treating symptomatically first will rule a lot of things out. Hopefully its nothing serious! If you havent already, I would suggest a trip to the vet for some blood and can then select treatment (antihistamines vs. antibiotics vs. steroids)

Hoping the vet can see him tomorrow or at least chat with me on the phone. It seems so odd that he is not itchy.
    ---

My last corgi would break out in hives after every trip to one specific groomer. Took my stupid self three times to realize it was something with that person or place causing the problem. Have you taken him anywhere recently? Changed anything / opened a new bag of food / new treats/blankets/toys ?

(In defense of my stupid self, my other dog never had a problem with that groomer, hence the reason it took the third time to link the bumps and grooming!)
    Not all who wander are lost.

Ralando II