The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bay area riders - does anybody board at the Red Barn

I'm trying to find a barn for my jumper mare and would love to hear from anybody who boards at the Red Barn in Stanford. It looks like a great facility. If you have feedback on trainers, boarding, experiences there, please do share with me. Feel free to contact me by PM.

It seems from their website that they offer quite a few services in their board rate, which means I wouldn't have to commit to a Full training program just so my horse can be turned out each day. I'd like to take lessons more on an a la carte basis rather than be in a full program.

Thanks so much for any input.

I boarded there for three years and just recently moved my mare to the Horsepark. I'll send you a PM.

You don't have to be affiliated with a trainer to get a stall and have turn out. You have a choice of 3 turn out schedules: AM, PM or overnight. The only negative is the footing doesn't hold up well to rain, so if there is heavy or prolonged periods of rain, they do not turn the horses out, and may not for several days.

You can take lessons with a resident trainer and can even bring one in with barn management approval. A big plus is Brian Sabo comes up once a month for two days and he's a blast to work with, as is Buddy Brown!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks JenM this would be great

Have my horse there now - extremely convenient and well-managed, beautifully maintained facility. Staff excellent. Turnout adequate, although it does become quite limited with the rain.

Buddy Brown is there and he is superb. His program Derby Hill does a good job with allowing clients to pick up a la carte services as they wish (hot walker, grooming, additional feeding, etc).

My one comment is that the indoor gets quite busy in the rainy season, and it's often best to ride in off-peak hours if one is not lessoning and wants to really accomplish something.

Thanks for this. Great to know. What is the best way to get hold of somebody to come and see the barn? I've sent emails, but no response and there's no phone number. I prefer to make an appointment, rather than show up.

I would contact averyb@stanford.edu, barn manager - if she's the one you've been contacting, I'm surprised you haven't heard back - she is usually on top of her email!