The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I was able to dig up 2 of the 3 citations by using the unique identifier.

The one study of compounded omeprazole was a) sponsored by Merial and b) did not indicate how the compounded product was protected from degradation (if at all). If the compounded drug was "naked" it would be expected to fail, naturally. A handy bit of data for Merial, but nobody in their right mind would use naked omeprazole.

The other abstract is from 1999 and also does not indicate how the omeprazole was delivered, but in digging up other papers by the same author at the same point in time it is pretty evident that the omeprazole was given in the form of what would today be called Gastroguard--a PROTECTED form of the drug.
    Click here before you buy.

[QUOTE=jlphilli;6704265]I just read about the recent field study done using U-gard, and thought the results were impressive: http://www.corta-flx.com/pdf/U_Gard_Study.pdf

My guy is currently on ranitidine. He's never actually had ulcers in the past, but the ranit. has kept his otherwise sketchy appetite consistent (his is already on high quality grain/hay/turnout/etc). Has anyone actually switched off of daily ranitidine to U-gard? If so, results?
    QUOTE]

Jlphilli - My own experience with U-Gard pellets wasn't good. After a 45-day round of UlcerGard (that included about 2 weeks of tapering off at lower doses) and a follow up scope that showed significant healing of the ulcers, I switched my gelding to U-Gard pellets. His ulcer symptoms came back quickly, and I put him on 90 days of ranitidine. When I tapered him off the ranitidine I put him on SmartGut pellets, and his symptoms came back on those too. So now he's on blue pop rocks and I'm going to try switching him over to ranitidine in about a month. Looking at reviews on Smartpak, the U-Gard must work well for a lot of horses, but not mine.
    "And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse..." ~Revelation 19:11

Quote Originally Posted by LDavis104 View Post

Jlphilli - My own experience with U-Gard pellets wasn't good. After a 45-day round of UlcerGard (that included about 2 weeks of tapering off at lower doses) and a follow up scope that showed significant healing of the ulcers, I switched my gelding to U-Gard pellets. His ulcer symptoms came back quickly, and I put him on 90 days of ranitidine. When I tapered him off the ranitidine I put him on SmartGut pellets, and his symptoms came back on those too. So now he's on blue pop rocks and I'm going to try switching him over to ranitidine in about a month. Looking at reviews on Smartpak, the U-Gard must work well for a lot of horses, but not mine.
    Thank you! After some thought/this discussion and hearing that, I think I will stay on ranitidine.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis