The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Default Vacuums for furry dogs and non-Dyson-friendly wallets

I grew up with Golden Retrievers so I understand that when you want a vacuum for dog hair, you get a Dyson, and you are very happy. I cannot drop $400 on a vacuum right now. The household consists of all hardwood floors and a German Shedder. The Shark we currently have cannot cope with the dog. Suggestions for the $150 or under ballpark, please?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I have a hoover windtunnel T series (not sure which specific model as it's a couple of years old and they've changed the #'s, but it had pictures of dogs all over the box ) and I've been THRILLED with it. It's reasonably light weight, bag less, washable filter, same principal as the dyson, and it was CHEAP. I paid around $80 at home depot for it. No complaints whatsoever & it's quiet enough that the dog even lets me cut out the middle man and vacuum him.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

An unusual suggestion, perhaps, but have you tried the Swiffer Sweeper Vac? Normally I am anti disposable cleaning product (for environmental reasons) but I caved on this one.

http://www.swiffer.com/products/swif...vacuum-sweeper

It does a surprisingly good job on dog hair ( I have a Golden Retriever) and it is easy to maneouver under furniture. Usless for carpet, of course but our old house was mostly laminate and ceramic tile and it performed better than I expected.
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

For the wood floors, I just use a dust mop and a dust buster.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I did try the Swiffer, and while it was fine on the cat hair, the dog hair is a little much for it. I was changing pads every five seconds! Laura, a dust mop is another alternative in the back of my mind- it sure works better than the Shark does and is less of a pita than the broom!

RubyFree, thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look for that!
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Keep the suggestions coming. I killed our vacuum by (attempting to) suck up a cat toy, and it was a bagless Hoover or something like it that's not really worth the cost of repair. I need something for bare floors, because we don't have any carpet at all, and it needs to get under things and into the corners really well. Help!

I have a Hoover Pet Cyclonic Upright Bagless, and I love it. It's not a Dyson quality, but it's damn close. Plus it has a hand attachment brush, and you can turn the regular brushes off for cleaning vinyl or wood floors, and then it picks up the crud without shooting it back at your feet, and scratching the floors too.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White