The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle mystery...

So I have been on the hunt for a saddle for the new horsie, and love the County Competitor 2000 that I have for my mare. (fit by saddler to Miss Mare's back...new horsie is the exact opposite build than mare, shark-finned tb, so existing saddle won't work)
    Yesterday, I found a County Competitor at a local tack shop on consignment. This saddle is obviously an older model, but is in like new condition. Perfect stitching, lovely leather, barely any marks that it has even been girthed up. (and it's a steal)
    It's stamped with the traditional County logos all over, it's a 16.5 #3 tree, however, there is no seial number that gives me any clue of the ago of this saddle. Just for curiousity sake, I'd like to know the age of this saddle. Up where the serial number should be there's only a 3.
    A call to County revealed that the 3 is the maker who made the saddle...and they have no idea why there's no serial number either...
    I'd just like to give the saddle fitter all the info that I can prior to her coming out for a fitting, and an age of the saddle would be helpful...
    Any one else have an older Competitor without a serial number?
    TIA!
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Hmm. I brainstormed some reasons that a saddle might not have a serial number, although most of them probably don't apply to this situation. #2 isn't a terrible theory for your situation:

1. It's stolen and the serial number has been removed/rubbed out
    2. It was a prototype or pre-production sales sample for brand reps, and some companies don't bother to give those serial numbers
    3. The saddle was repaired at some point, and the portion of the flap that contained the serial number was swapped out during the repair
    4. The saddle is so old that the serial number has worn smooth/disappeared (unlikely if the saddle is in great condition)
    5. Unlikely in this situation, but I've seen it on low-end jumping saddles: some brands print the serial on the billet guard, and since the billet guard is obviously removeable, that's an easy way for the serial number to get detached from the saddle. (This is super rare and I've only seen it one time.)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Hmm. I brainstormed some reasons that a saddle might not have a serial number, although most of them probably don't apply to this situation. #2 isn't a terrible theory for your situation:

Don't think it's been rubbed out...this saddls is in pristine condition, and this would stand out i think.

2. It was a prototype or pre-production sales sample for brand reps, and some companies don't bother to give those serial numbers
    Makes sense...

3. The saddle was repaired at some point, and the portion of the flap that contained the serial number was swapped out during the repair
    Possible, but I don't think so, as the leather and everything is consistent throughout the saddle...

4. The saddle is so old that the serial number has worn smooth/disappeared (unlikely if the saddle is in great condition)
    Yep, agreed. It didn't wear, as every other stamp on the saddle is VERY readable...I'd give it an A in terms of condition...

5. Unlikely in this situation, but I've seen it on low-end jumping saddles: some brands print the serial on the billet guard, and since the billet guard is obviously removeable, that's an easy way for the serial number to get detached from the saddle. (This is super rare and I've only seen it one time.)
    County has the serial number on the sweat flap, and it's obvious that it hasn't been replaced...
    Thanks so much for your brainstorming ...I'm thinking maybe it's scenario number two? I'm going to send pics to the saddle fitter, but I'd really like to nail down it's age..

Don't think it's been rubbed out...this saddls is in pristine condition, and this would stand out i think.

I have an 86 version of this saddle, right down to the #3 tree & virtually unused when purchased 2 (is it really only 2! years ago) - the serial number stamp is almost invisisble unless the light is just right.
    I'd suggest that the saddle you found must be at latest 1990 & more likely rather older if it was indeed a prototype of sorts ... note that the County Demo list may have saddles that were mis-labelled as they left the factory, so it is possible that the saddle left without it's stamp

An experienced County rep may be able to estimate saddle age rather accurately (mine guessed 88/89 at a glance )

Note that most of these saddles (I've seen) are very dark brown rather than black.

Everyone that has ridden in the saddle, loves it

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Note that most of these saddles (I've seen) are very dark brown rather than black.

Everyone that has ridden in the saddle, loves it
    Yes! It is dark brown, and its bee-yoo-tee-ful!
    I have an older version also, and the old one has an 88 stamp on it, but I've absolutely worn it out...It's sadly past repair... I will have to take pics of the new one... Thanks!