The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

http://cnj.craigslist.org/grd/3446811306.html

I found this while searching for saddles for myself

Default Think I found one....will know in a day or two....

....when I receive it. Thanks all!!

Talking WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Also going to through in that if you can afford it, Antares does young rider program where the riders get a new saddle each year they need it for a very very discounted price until they're 18. I can't remember what exactly the specs are, but apparently it's useful.
    I'm curious where you all find all these great saddles, I'm currently in the market for a 15.5 CC higher end saddle (Devoucoux, CWD, Anatares) and It's been next to impossible to find anything !? I'm one of those tiny adults who's supposedly lucky to fit into these saddles! Lucky if i could find one!! Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by mscho View Post
    I'm curious where you all find all these great saddles, I'm currently in the market for a 15.5 CC higher end saddle (Devoucoux, CWD, Anatares) and It's been next to impossible to find anything !? I'm one of those tiny adults who's supposedly lucky to fit into these saddles! Lucky if i could find one!! Thoughts?
    Call Collierville Saddlery today, they've got a beautiful used 16" (might run a little small) Devoucoux for 2.4k in their show trailer at Springtime in Dixie that sounds like it would be good for you. Dave, Dave, and Lori are very helpful. (Sorry if this isn't allowed mods, I'm not affiliated with the store or seller of the saddle.) Other than that, Rachel of I sell tack .com is incredible with used saddles and so is Highendusedsaddles.com
    .אני יכול לעשות הכל על ידי אלוהים

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterrider23 View Post
    Call Collierville Saddlery today, they've got a beautiful used 16" (might run a little small) Devoucoux for 2.4k in their show trailer at Springtime in Dixie that sounds like it would be good for you. Dave, Dave, and Lori are very helpful. (Sorry if this isn't allowed mods, I'm not affiliated with the store or seller of the saddle.) Other than that, Rachel of I sell tack .com is incredible with used saddles and so is Highendusedsaddles.com

On it! Thanks so much,
    This search has been far to frustrating!

It does help to know which corners of the Internet to peek into, so I'll list some links in the moment. But--at the risk of offending you since you obviously know your own body better than a stranger can--consider that 15.5" is very small. French saddles tend to ride a bit small, so even most very petite adults I've fitted end up in a 16" or 16.5". So if you haven't sat in a high-end French 16", consider giving that a whirl. You may like it better than you think.

Now back to your question...

Devoucoux Haurra 15/15.5, on trial but you can ask to be put on the waiting list
    http://www.highendusedsaddles.com/premiumsaddles.htm

Another 15.5" Devoucoux
    http://www.frenchusedsaddles.com/155...-07_p_227.html

Tons of 15/15.5 models, several brands
    http://www.danforthfineusedsaddles.c...ns-saddles.php

Tons of 15.5" and 16" models, again don't be afraid to call and get put on the waiting list.
    http://www.mdtackexchange.com/Pony.html

Several Bruno Delgranges and one Antares in 16"
    http://www.saddlesolution.com/saddle...erid=&colorid=

16" CWD
    http://shop.olsonstack.com/16_CWD_Me...ree_p/8529.htm

16" Childeric
    http://www.runningfox.com/index.php?...mart&Itemid=75

Thanks! No offence taken whatsoever! I'm quite certain a 15.5 will do the trick, I'm only about 4'8", and <90lbs, basically the size of your typical 9 or 10 year old. I've sat in a 14 and found it very tight, but i actually fit in it and didn't overflow... I'm that tiny I've heard that the french saddles typically run small, and certainly would love to try out a 16, as they often more readily available, but to go with my petit stature, I need a very short flap, something around 11 inches, I have a 25 inch inseam.. lucky me! Danforth has some BEAUTYS! I'll be getting in touch! Thanks for the link!
    Also, as a side note, do most of the french saddles typically run with wool flocking or foam?

I've heard that the french saddles typically run small, and certainly would love to try out a 16, as they often more readily available, but to go with my petit stature, I need a very short flap, something around 11 inches, I have a 25 inch inseam.. lucky me! Danforth has some BEAUTYS! I'll be getting in touch! Thanks for the link!
    You're welcome! I will drop this 16" issue in a moment, except to say that if the only thing stopping you is the flap, it costs peanuts (in the grand scheme of things) to get an inch chopped off the bottom of most saddle flaps. That can usually be done without altering the knee roll, so it's a pretty straightforward procedure. Just as an example, Colin Kimball-Davis charges about $100 to chop off 1" and $225 to chop off more than an inch. So if you can find the perfect 15.5" fine, but you might also consider a bargain 16" + a custom-shortened flap.

Also, as a side note, do most of the french saddles typically run with wool flocking or foam?
    About 90% of them have foam panels--speaking of which, if you are shopping with a particular horse in mind, be warned that many of these saddles will have customized panel shapes that can substantially affect the fit for the horse.

Wool flocked + French-type styling + 15.5" seat is a very, very, rare combo. There's plenty of French–style 15.5's out there, but the vast majority of them are foam-panelled. Most people who want French-type styling with wool panels end up buying Italian saddles (Equipe, Prestige, Amerigo) but alas, all of those brands' wool-flocked models start at 16".

If you wanted wool, you'd be better of reflocking a foam-panelled French saddle to wool (not advisable for Devoucoux, btw, due to the design of the Devoucoux tree) or pursuing a British saddle by County, Kent and Masters, etc. (admittedly, those are very hard to find in 15.5" on the US market.)

Wow, thanks!
    I'm definitely not opposed to anything, and very open to suggestions. French are nice, but I'm basically looking for something of good quality and fit. It's good to know the flaps are alterable, as that will definitely help expand my search

Unfortunately, I believe wool is a necessity for me. I'm in northern Canada, and we ride down to -25 C (if we didn't, some winters we'd never ride). Although the saddle is stored indoors in a heated area, the indoor I ride in 90% of the time isn't heated, and anything foam I've dealt with goes ROCK HARD at those temp's, even with the heat from the horse... so wool it is. I've looked into getting the foam to wool conversion, but was advised against it by two different saddlers, as the leather is typically glued to the foam inserts, and removing it causes a lot of stretching and contorting of the leather.. (At least so I've been told..)

Good to know I can expand my search into the 16 range a bit now as well, the flap length was really the only issue holding me back, but from what I've been told, a lot of the 16"'s run smaller, and with a med. deep or deeper seat, will probably feel even smaller yet!

Thanks for the great insight and advice!

Unfortunately, I believe wool is a necessity for me. I'm in northern Canada, and we ride down to -25 C (if we didn't, some winters we'd never ride). Although the saddle is stored indoors in a heated area, the indoor I ride in 90% of the time isn't heated, and anything foam I've dealt with goes ROCK HARD at those temp's, even with the heat from the horse... so wool it is.
    Again, I'll drop this in a moment, except to say that "not all foam is created equal." High-end saddlers use a pretty wide variety of foams, everything from latex to memory foam, and some of them perform better in low temperatures than others. That said, there's nothing wrong with wool and my two personal saddles are both wool flocked. If you prefer wool, go with wool!

I've looked into getting the foam to wool conversion, but was advised against it by two different saddlers, as the leather is typically glued to the foam inserts, and removing it causes a lot of stretching and contorting of the leather.. (At least so I've been told..)
    I lack the time to completely respond to that statement, but let's just say it's a pretty intense simplification of the process. Granted, it is not a procedure I'd trust to a local yokel of a fitter--I would send it to a proper master saddler because it is definitely a process that requires care and skill--but it's hardly impossible and doesn't necessarily involve "stretching and contorting the leather."

That said, you are in a position to avoid the whole shebang by just purchasing a wool flocked saddle. Lucky you!

I would suggest speaking with your nearest County rep, also to Heartland Saddlery about the Hastilow Concept Ranger. Don't be fooled by the price tag--a lot of H/J riders who are used to riding in high-end French tack are shocked to discover that comparable-quality British tack is often $1000-$1500 cheaper than its French cousins. If you thought Danforth had some "beauties," You might also ask them if they can get you a Kent and Masters Pony, a Frank Baines Passad, or a Lovatt and Ricketts Elan Junior. The Passad, in particular, is an exceptionally great product that can be ordered/styled to look very much like a high-end French saddle. But Hastilow and Kent & Masters also make very nice products, and as a gravy feature, they both have adjustable gullets.
    http://www.heartlandsaddlery.com/pro...y-Saddle-.html

You might also look at Stubben, which has come a long way in recent years. Their Edelweiss and Portos models are gaining currency on the US market among hunter/jumper riders. Both models are available in "youth" versions that are between 15.5" and 16" seats, both retail at very attractive prices yet are high-quality saddles that are built to last, and Stubben is now doing custom fitting/orders if you end up needing that service. And yes, they are available in Canada.
    http://www.stubbennorthamerica.com/s...uthsaddles.php

Good luck!

Thanks! I've looked into the Frank Baines, as one was referred to me by the saddler I was dealing with in Edmonton! I must say they appear to be excellent quality, (and wool flocked!) but I was worried the seat might be a bit to deep for my liking?! The majority of the children's saddles seem to have very deep seats for security, and I (and my smallish booty) seem to do best in a med. deep seat at best..
    I'll get in touch with stubbed as I've always liked their lines!
    Thanks much! A custom may be the best route for difficult little me!