The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hard to fit horse ... need saddle help!

Hello, All,

I have an issue I'm hoping someone can help me with:

I currently ride a 16 year old 17.2 Percheron/TB cross in the Hunter ring in a 2010 17.5 in. Bates Caprilli. However, my saddle moves around quite a bit on my horse (slides back and down behind the left shoulder, as my horse has a larger left shoulder). I had the saddle fitter out and he said my horse needs a medium/medium-narrow tree on the right side and a medium-wide tree on the left. He sold me a thin-line pad and shims for the left side, but unfortunately, I now don't have any feel with my horse. In fact, I feel like I'm sitting on a board totally disconnected with my horse. Interesting enough, my horse doesn't seem to mind the movement as much as I do as I have the Bates wide gullet in the saddle so his shoulder has lots of room. With the padding in, my horse is decidedly less enthusiastic.

Anyway, I'm looking for possible solutions ...

My trainer has a Devoucoux saddle that she's used on my horse (16 year old 17.2 Percheron/TB cross), with a medium-wide tree, and it seems to move less - what do you think?

I was considering trying the Fleeceworks pad with the pockets for shims, thinking that the saddle might not move as much as and I can still have more feeling.

I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to end up coming up with a bunch of temporary solutions that ultimately get me nowhere.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Medium narrow on one side and medium wide on the other?

I would LOVE to see a pic of that!

I will take pics tomorrow. He has a much larger left shoulder.
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

I have a saddle slip problem where it slips to the left and since it happens on ALL my horses I am going to assume it's ME. I did have the saddle fitted and it's fine.

So what I read and heard that it may be my girth. I ordered a string Mohair girth. I understand double elastic girths can slip and be over tightened. And since my new horse is a bit girthy, I am forced to try something new.

You can always try that, or a non slip pad to put between the horse and the saddle pad. Like this one -

http://www.tack-wholesale.com/Englis..._Slip_Pad.html

I will report back when my string girth is delivered and tested.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Thanks, Double. I appreciate it.

Non-slip pad/girth may help. If you get a new saddle, I would go for a wool flocked one and not foam since he is a bit uneven and hard to fit. Then they can adjust it to him as necessary as he changes and hopefully evens out.

Pictures with and without the saddle will help! A confo shot, 3/4 shot to see the shoulder angle, and a back shot. Those same shots with the saddle, no pads, girthed up. :-)
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I had a Bates Caprilli CC and had the same problem. Though mine only slipped back it didn't slip to the side. I tried every pad under the sun including a shimmed thinline. I even had it flocked with wool and it didn't help. I ended up selling it and buying a Beval Natural. The new saddle doesn't move at all. Good Luck, I know your pain.

On a hunch - and act of desperation - I went out today and bought two Fleeceworks Perfect Fit Partial Hunter pads (http://www.fleeceworks.com/fullpads/...echnology.html). I put a foam shim in the front left side, and rode with just my saddle and the fleeceworks pad for a solid hour. My saddle stayed perfectly in place!

So glad it worked out because I was not all that enthusiastic about spending more $$ on saddles, pads, etc.

Update: Here's a video of us today ... it's just flat work and my outfit looks awful http://youtu.be/5gXbiBU0ZXw
    Last edited by sammicat; Apr. 6, 2013 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Updated with video