The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It makes me FEEL better that I can send my Charles Owen helmet back to them if I fall in it and hit my head and they will, supposedly look at it and learn from it based on the description I put in their "accident report." And maybe make better helmets. It also helps that they gave me a discount on my next helmet because I did that.

Not sure if my feeling is misplaced or not. It seems they are trying to make better helmets. I know this is not the same as independent testing but they are at least trying to do something.

I certainly would love to know which helmet would protect my noggin best as I am rather partial to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    This is actually not surprising.

According to a presentation by one of the "high end" helmet makers, it is relativiely "easy" and "cheap" to make a bulky helmet that meets (and exceeds) the standard.

It is much harder, and more expensive to make a "sleek" helmet that meets the standard.

When you pay more for a sleek helmet you are paying for the fact that it is sleek, possibly at the expense of additional protection beyond the standard.
    The study that I remember looking at compared like to like. So, it compared the skull caps separate from low profile velvets, separate from schooling helmets, etc. The troxel came out on top in every category I looked at.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    It makes me FEEL better that I can send my Charles Owen helmet back to them if I fall in it and hit my head and they will, supposedly look at it and learn from it based on the description I put in their "accident report." And maybe make better helmets. It also helps that they gave me a discount on my next helmet because I did that.

Not sure if my feeling is misplaced or not. It seems they are trying to make better helmets. I know this is not the same as independent testing but they are at least trying to do something.

I certainly would love to know which helmet would protect my noggin best as I am rather partial to it.
    Roy Burek, the CEO, made that EXACT point to me so your feelings are not misguided. And from an engineering POV. That is standard practice in many industries to improve products.

Quote Originally Posted by LookmaNohands View Post
    Fair enough! But you're not limited in your helmet choices, as most helmet manufacturers offer a similar service.

The "best" helmet for you will be the one that meets or exceeds the current standards for equestrian helmets, AND fits you well, AND is adjusted properly, AND has its harness fastened. It will also be the helmet that hasn't suffered from crashes - not just from rider falls but from (for example) falling from the top of a tall tack locker onto a concrete floor... and it will be the helmet that has not been kept in the trunk of your car during hot weather... and it will be the helmet that has been replaced after five years even though it has a perfect record of no crashes, no falls, and no damage from overheating in the car.

The shape of your head is a big factor in determining helmet comfort, so perhaps that might be a good place to start.

I find it very heartening that people on this board are so intelligent and interested in the subject, and want to be better-informed. Back when we were first TRYING to get safety helmets (as opposed to hunt caps) accepted and then made mandatory by the USPC, the howls of protest from Pony Clubbers and their families were positively deafening... So yes, it would be great to have more funding, more research, and more "selection help" as a result, but we've already made enormous progress.

One useful resource is the Equestrian Medical Safety Association; whenever a relevant study of any kind is made available anywhere, you're likely to read about it in an EMSA publication.

http://www.emsaonline.net/
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org