The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Rule Gurus; Is this bit legal for stadium?

I am wanting to move my horse from a pelham to a 3ring elevator but would like to put a curb chain on it. It is the stubben 3 ring elevator. Would this be legal for competition?

EV115
    3. CROSS-COUNTRY TEST AND JUMPING TEST.
    a. The type of saddlery is optional with the exception of any form of blinkers, which are forbidden. b. Only unrestricted running martingales with rein stops or Irish martingales are allowed. Reins must be free of any loops or hand attachments and must be attached to the bit(s) or directly to the bridle. Exception: u-shaped bit converters may be used so that a bit designed for use with two reins may be controlled with a single rein. Gags or hackamores are allowed.
    Don't see why not
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

Yep, it is. I normally use what's called a "control strap" (basically just a flash noseband connected to the top rings under the jaw) on 2 or 3 ring elevators to keep the bit more stable in the horse's mouth. When it comes to bitting for XC & SJ there's not a lot that isn't allowed

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    I am wanting to move my horse from a pelham to a 3ring elevator but would like to put a curb chain on it. It is the stubben 3 ring elevator. Would this be legal for competition?
    Yup. I've ridden my horse in that exact setup for both XC and SJ from Novice to Advanced. No problem.

Cheek pieces attach to the top ring above the bit, reins attached to first small ring below the bit (I still use a three ring though, not a two ring). Curb chain attached to the little ring above the bit, same as the cheek pieces. Curb chain is loose and with a rubber guard for stadium, tighter and with no guard for XC.

There are no restrictions on the bits for the jumping phases.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Okay thank you guys! I have honestly always been confused on what rules there are for the jumping phases regarding bits. I'm guessing there aren't really any rules?

Quote Originally Posted by MorganJumper848 View Post
    Okay thank you guys! I have honestly always been confused on what rules there are for the jumping phases regarding bits. I'm guessing there aren't really any rules?
    Everything you could want to know:

http://207.58.164.195/sites/default/...r_Eventing.pdf

The most stringent rules apply to the dressage phase, but there are some saddlery rules for the other phases as well (not many, but some).
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/