The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sigh... It seems that more and more, on almost every single COH thread I go to, sarcasm and criticism drown the original post. I opened this one to look at a beautiful photo of a lovely and horse and rider. I should have stopped right there rather than read the comments. It is depressing and disturbing.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ToN Farm View Post
    I gave my explanation with this link: http://www.ridingart.com/toe-flip.htm It's clear to me, and if you or others don't buy into it, that's ok. Of course you will find countless videos showing the hind hoof flip, just as you will find them showing all kinds of faults. That's how dressage is; perfection is near unobtainable. It's a super photo of a super rider and a super horse.
    An informed person would have to question the information provided by that link, and why the author feels qualified to make such claims. I guess if you like riding horses with mincing gaits, then it's just fine.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

http://www.google.com/imgres?start=1...57&tx=97&ty=51

I see the point about more carry

I think its a good discussion regardless of how much of a sucker I am for a good TB lol

I think if people can identify what is making the sport right now vs old then maybe we can make more room for the in between
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~
    http://www.off-breed-dressage.blogspot.com/

A few nanosecond after the pic above; https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-_...%252520046.JPG
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by vineyridge View Post
    I'm convinced that you cannot have a good "Pure" dressage TB without lots of Hyperion. Mieuxce is also good.
    So I researched the allpedigreedatabase and found Hyperion on top and bottom of my mare's damsire. I know that's a little far removed, but it's still kinda exciting.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

The pix has not only airtime/is uphill/but full reach of the shoulders. And there will be about 8" of over stride (was there in person as well!). The horse has gotten a smidge low (curb effect) and is a smidge pushing (hence hind ankles start to torque). The forefeet will land where they are pointed (unlike the nano second pix). When the hindfeet show themselves to the sky with unequal stride length fore and aft there will be no o.s., the horse is only pushing the load (nanosecond pix).

And imho Keen's body type goes much more to the dam side of the top line, not the stallion part of the top line. (But the stallion side of the dam line comes through as well.)
    I.D.E.A. yoda

[QUOTE ]The forefeet will land where they are pointed (unlike the nano second pix). [/QUOTE]

oh dear, not good enough?

Keen yes. The nano pix because of the lack of even stride length fore and aft, no. The fore legs should reach and land where they point (not drop down, or worse yet be pulled back in landing). The carriage of the top line (too high/low/compressed/long/responding to curb) WILL all affect that. As riders we must understand how what we do/inspire/allow affects the stride in front and behind. We need to inspire enough collection to create thrust/reach, enough room for the hindlegs to step through (rather than wide which is shown in some of the vid), proper carriage to have the forelegs reach, and lengthening of frame/overstride.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

Quote Originally Posted by ideayoda View Post
    Keen yes. The nano pix because of the lack of even stride length fore and aft, no. The fore legs should reach and land where they point (not drop down, or worse yet be pulled back in landing).
    What if the horse has an exceptionally free and active foreleg? Should the rider curtail such activity in favor of an even stride fore and aft?

Sometimes I feel like giving up on dressage forums as they can suck the joy out of every single video/photo ever put up.

3 members found this post helpful.

Lovely picture of an amazing horse and rider. As a girl I had a pictures of Keen on my bedroom wall--I had cut them out of Horseplay magazine. What an inspiration they were! Thanks for posting.
    Nobody puts baby in a corner

3 members found this post helpful.