The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Making/fencing(?) a chute to connect pastures

I'd like to try to connect my land with some land I will be leasing (perhaps buying) so I don't have to lead horses back and forth.

Woods connects the back of my pasture to this land, however, there is a wide trail on part of the lands property that could be connected.

Has anyone made a chute fairly easily and did it work out? There is a straighter shot if we cut down some trees, but that might have to be in the future if we purchased the land.

It's about a 5 min walk through the woods from my place to the land. Anyone have any creative ideas? I don't really care about walking back and forth, it's more when I'm riding and talking one away or getting all 3 to the barn.

I have chutes that connect each of my horses individual paddocks to their separate pastures. There are some pictures of them on my website below.

If you are going to make chutes for multiple horses to be using at the same time, make it really wide. I've found that chutes do seem to encourage horses to run. When I watch the horses here, they seem to walk from the pasture to the chutes and then trot or canter up the chutes to the paddocks. They also do the same in reverse, even though they have access to their paddocks during the day, so it's not just a turnout/feeding time thing.

I would worry about injuries with a herd galloping through a narrow chute.

My chute runs from the barn area to the "new fields", running alongside an old field.

It is about 400 m long and about 8 m wide, and straight.

During the spring when I am protecting the growing grass in the pasture, the chute forms part of my "sacrifice area". Yes, they do tend to run up or down the chute. That is a good thing.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Janet - do you have pics of yours? And how many horses go thru your chute? I have 3.

I boarded at a barn where the farmyard was connected to the far pasture with a chute. Probably 20 feet wide and 200' long. Scared the crap out of me. They all raced up and down it. The ground was destroyed. Then in the spring/winter or anytime there is moisture, they would be tearing through deep tendon-sucking mud, slipping and sliding in tight quarters.

When it was hot out it was fine, because they were lazier and no mud.

There was a bit of a hill, but at least it opened down to the pasture and not down to the gate by the farmyard (which was the sacrifice paddock).
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/