The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best charities for small donations (where will the $$ do the most?)

We are very lucky that my grandparents left their money to a fund from which my family members get to donate a little bit every year to their chosen charities.

I would like to give to (one or more) horse related charities. The amount will be $500.

Would it be better to split it into smaller amounts (maybe $250/250, or 100 x 5) and send it to a variety of places? Or is it more helpful to make one larger donation? I'd like my money to have the most impact possible.

Can anyone recommend charities where that amount of money is likely to make an impact? Charities must be 501 c 3 registered.

In previous years I've donated to CANTER, Pegasus Foundation, and TB Friends.

Thanks for your suggestions!
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

Bluebonnet, Cowgirljenn is the poster that runs it:

http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/

I'll second Bluebonnet. They do a great job.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Adams County SPCA in Pennsylvania is a good one. They took in those starving Thoroughbreds last year, I think it was 21 weanlings.

Shiloh Horse Rescue in Nevada.

Canter.

New Vocations does a great job and I like them because they rehomed the son of one of my mares, so they are special in my eyes.

http://www.tierrescue.org/
    TIER is in your neck of the woods, Whoanellie is also a COTH poster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I volunteer with Hope For Horses in Woodinville, WA. We are a small rescue and take critical cases. Since we are smaller we tend to fly under the radar of the bigger rescues. $500 is a huge donation for us. $250 is still on the upper end.

Facebook.com/hopeforhorses www.hopeforhorses.net

I've taught and volunteered at this therapeutic riding center: www.miraclesinmotion.net
    Highest possible standards of horse care, rider safety and quality of instruction. Well-run with a responsible Board of directors. Entirely supported by charitable donations, and riders are admitted regardless if they have means to pay.
    A really rock-solid outfit. $500 would sponsor a rider for a full session of weekly lessons.
    Thank you, regardless who you donate to. It's very generous.

Thanks to those who recommended BEHS, I'm honored by you.

To the OP: If you want a donation that can make a world of difference to a specific horse, I have a 12 year old gelding who was found estray recently. He's emaciated and needs a surgery once he's healthy to correct/treat/deal with an injury to his penis. Thanks to a wonderful vet, $200-$250 would take care of the surgery. This guy will be a nice, adoptable horse after surgery - but sadly someone had dumped him out on a road rather than dealing with his problems. I can email you pictures or you can see him on FB. If you want to donate to him specifically, you can PM me or email me at jenn@bluebonnetequine.org and I can give you photos, more info on him, etc.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions - now the hard part of making a decision - all seem like really worthy places and I wish there was more $ to go around!

I think most groups would benefit from any amount, no matter how small

I'm not sure how it adds up this year but I know in years past, outside of grants, etc, the vast majority of our donations were $100 or less - and we have to pay for care/upkeep on around 40 horses at any given time.

We would obviously LOVE for money to come our way (canter mid-atlantic), but IMO, send it where you feel it would be best - the rescue or group that you feel most passionate about, or one you have personal experience with. I know of nobody for whom even $5 doesn't help (that's a dewormer, or a flymask for sensitive eyes, or a bale of hay in some places).

I would say that groups like ours, where there is very little overhead (we have no paid staff, are completely volunteer-run, and most of our operations are online and streamlined, so 99.9% of any donation that comes in is used DIRECTLY for horse care - hay, dentist, farrier, boarding costs, etc), is probably where you get the most "bang for your buck."
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I know of nobody for whom even $5 doesn't help (that's a dewormer, or a flymask for sensitive eyes, or a bale of hay in some places).

I would say that groups like ours, where there is very little overhead (we have no paid staff, are completely volunteer-run, and most of our operations are online and streamlined, so 99.9% of any donation that comes in is used DIRECTLY for horse care - hay, dentist, farrier, boarding costs, etc), is probably where you get the most "bang for your buck."

This! Some organizations pay their Board of Directors. Find places where your money goes directly to horse care.

P.S. where is hay $5 a bale???? It's like $15-$20 here.

Of no help w/OP's question...but hay @ $5/bale...yeah, we got it. BEAUTIFUL, flawless bales of Orchard Grass. I don't even have to pick it up out of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimoAmor View Post
    This! Some organizations pay their Board of Directors. Find places where your money goes directly to horse care.

Great point! How do I find this out?

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by two sticks View Post
    From what I've noticed, most organizations with a board of directors have a section on their website about them, and usually state they are voluntary. If it doesn't say on the website, I would email or call and ask. If you don't want to ask directly you can ask them "I want to know exactly where my money is going, how will you tell me?" Any charitable organization worth their salt should have the answer to that question, IMO.

I would also say that donating to local organizations is great because you can see for yourself where your grandparent's money is going.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by two sticks View Post
    You can check out nonprofit charities on Guidestar. You have to register (it is free) but then you can view the 990s that were submitted to the IRS. This shows you how much money goes in and out of a charity and where it goes. Great for telling which charities spend most of their money on the actual mission vs those which spend it on advertising and salaries.

1 members found this post helpful.