The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gift ideas for the young male rider ??

Well it's that time of year!

I have a wonderful family leasing my pony. There are three boys that have access to him but only one is really interested. I'd love to get them, or at least he main rider, a small Christmas gift. I have never had to buy for a boy before so I'm kind of stumped. He doesn't need anything and his mom won't help as she doesn't want me to get them anything. She sees the lease as a gift enough but I'm very thankful to have found such a wonderful place for him so I want to just give a little thank you! I had my father make the boy a custom tack trunk in June and he loved it!

I'm a poor college student so I'm looking at just trying to find a cheap but appreciated gift.

Any ideas on what little boys (he's about 7-8yro I think) need/want???
    True love is taking their pain away and making it yours
    ~rest in peace momma (7/5/08)~
    ~rest in peace thomas (6/2/11)~

One of our sons just loved the horses, brushes, hoof picks, folding lock blade knife --tools--... just depends upon the boy's age ..books about the horses were a great interest as he competed on several "horse bowl teams"

Tack that is his such as a lead rope, halter or what ever that is His would add to the exclusiveness of his interest over the others

Something simple and cheap would be to photograph him with the horse; our kids nearly always didn't want their photos taken, but now seek those photo out

I caught what he like of himself at NATRC ride
    http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...kandGeorge.jpg

Get him a hat (ball cap) with the pony's name on it.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Fun saddle pad or halter in a color or style boys might like such as camo, etc

1 members found this post helpful.

thanks for the ideas! He is a great kid. He just got a nice fancy new halter for showing. He also has all the brushes and supplies he could need. His parents own the farm so they have just about everything. I was thinking about a color theme, camo isnt quite his thing, but I think he uses blue a lot.

What about a nice belt with his name on it? I know hes little but he does show quite a bit and does a lot of pony club type things. I was thinking he would get some use out of it. What do you think??

I just ordered gifts for a little girl I am giving lessons to, she was a piece of cake to shop for! Basically reliving my childhood with her lol. But the boy is proving a bit more hard to shop for!

Just stay away from PINK or anything cutesy.

Saddlepad's a good idea too! Lots of patterns out there.

Get him a book...e.g. Black Stallion (a boy is riding) or give him the movie too!
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Kind of out-of-the-box, but do you know (really know - first-name-basis, not FB or by rep) any of the young, but 'big' names who might show at KHP? I'm thinking Luke Olsen (rides with Jennifer Alfano, read a great article about him recently); Darragh Kenny (rides with Missy Clark, another great article recently); other young male riders who would be willing to have a meet & greet?

Or a gift certificate for a video review of his riding by someone he looks up to? Denny Emerson or Michael Pollard, if he's into Pony Club?

If you make personal contact with these people, you might really hit the jackpot for this kid.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

I don't know if its 'still cool' but several years ago when I was boarding at a lesson barn, all 4 of the boys riding there had those flame saddle pads. One had a blue one, one had an orange? one and the other two had the usual red ones. Don't know where they found them, though.

Quote Originally Posted by fleur de duc View Post
    thanks for the ideas! He is a great kid. He just got a nice fancy new halter for showing. He also has all the brushes and supplies he could need. His parents own the farm so they have just about everything. I was thinking about a color theme, camo isnt quite his thing, but I think he uses blue a lot.

What about a nice belt with his name on it? I know hes little but he does show quite a bit and does a lot of pony club type things. I was thinking he would get some use out of it. What do you think??

I just ordered gifts for a little girl I am giving lessons to, she was a piece of cake to shop for! Basically reliving my childhood with her lol. But the boy is proving a bit more hard to shop for!
    just wanted to thank you for your thoughtfulness

Thanks all!

I do have a hook up with a few bigger names but I don't think he is at a point yet to really know who they are. He hasn't yet chosen a discipline as he just enjoys anything and everything with my pony, it doesn't matter what it is. He is so excited I just found the pony's shipping wraps so he can practice wrapping even. He really is a easy kid to please it seems!

Im straying from cutsie stuff as much as its difficult for me. I thankfully got my "little girl and her pony" phase out with my little student girl.

Im leaning more towards the belt idea. I think that would be a practical gift. Im hopping to find a few more ideas though. I like the saddle pad idea as well. Im on the hunt for some good ones now.

The D and C Pony Club manuals?

Grooming to Win + a good braiding kit?

Some extravagantly nice treats for the pony, like Stud Muffins or Willie Muffins?

He might be getting a little old for them, but the "Blaze" series by Clarence William Anderson are beautiful stories about a boy and his pony. Maybe a set of those? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_and_Blaze

A subscription to one or two horsey magazines, like Horse Illustrated/Practical Horseman/Western Horseman?

A Breyer horse that looks like your pony? Or any Breyer, really.