The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I must be crazy

I'm going to look at a horse for sale tonight after work. I don't need another horse....I had to put my heart mare down last fall and I still have my old guy who's 26 and mostly retired. I also have my husband's mare who is 15 and dead broke but has navicular and can be off from time to time. I also have a youngish horse who is quite nice but not trust worthy enough to ride out alone on and hard to convince to get on the trailer. He's a good boy and nothing is his fault...it's mine because I haven't found the time to work with him on his issues. I don't know where the time goes...I used to have so much more of it in my 20's! Franky I also don't have the inclination to train like I did when I was 20. I just want to ride.

I have a lovely trailer that I haven't used all year just because I can't face working through the issues with the young guy. I will be 50 next month and really I've come to realize that I just want a horse I can ride on the farm alone (getting my husband to go has become a lost cause), or throw in the trailer and take to rides with my friends...no fuss no muss.

The horse I am going to see sounds like he may be like that. He's a 13 year old leopard gelding who was owned by an elderly lady who used to throw him on the trailer and ride him all over the place, with or without company. She has broken her hip and the Dr. gave her the dreaded no riding order. Wish me luck...there has been so much interest in this horse that the owner has a hihger offer than her asking price, but because she made the appointment with me to see him, hasn't let him go yet. Her main goal is a good home. I wonder how this will pan out?
    Please send some majical COTH jingles for things to work out as they are meant to...whatever that means.

Good luck! I have a plate hanging in the kitchen that says "No More Horses. No More Horses. No More Horses." yet here I am looking for a trail horse for DH.

Are you selling the young guy and intrested in 'replacing' him (in the sense) with this gelding? I think it's a great plan, if that's your plan.

Pictures of your new guy!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Yes...if this horse turns out to be the one I want to find the young guy a better partner.

It is nice when sellers are nice, not just jump to the first one that shows with the money that sounds will be ok.

Not that I blame those that do.
    It is a buyer's market and hard to sell.
    Then, if you already have arrangements made with someone, buying a horse or a boat, it really seems that seeing first if those arrangements go thru is the ethical thing to do, not let someone else go under the deal for a quick or more profitable sale.
    Unless the agreement was up front first come first chance.

EVERYONE needs a nice, polite, uncomplicated sweet horse to enjoy having around, that makes going to the barn a good experience.

Project horses have their place, but it is so nice to have the ones that know what we are doing and go on happily with the program.

I hope the horse is suitable and you get to buy it.

Oh, for those that don't need another horse, there is a T-shirt for that.
    Reads:

"One horse short of the crazy horse lady".

Good luck to you! It actually sounds like you do need another horse! I know exactly how you feel. My just turned 8 year old mare needs lunging most days before I ride so I can gauge her energy level before we head out. My 7 year old mule is a project in the making ( for 7 years now). I have less time than I did when I worked away from home and I will be the dreaded 50 next May. I just want to get on and ride, no fussing with these crazy youngsters.

If you need enabling - I too say go for it ! I am 53, and know exactly what you mean. My husband keeps trying to talk me into getting rid of the youngster I am struggling with, and I know he's right, but haven't done it yet. If you find the perfect one, that will make selling thoe other much easier . . .

Let us know W/pics ?

Well....I may be too picky. Although he was a nice guy, he was what I would consider green. He didn't neck rein, but he did move off my legs after a few minutes to figure things out, (the owner had to kick him hard to get him to move). He went with his head in the air and gaped his mouth and generally resisted the bit. He would be a project to school to the level I think a good trail horse should be at to be nice to ride. If anything he made my younger horse look pretty good. Le sigh....

Quote Originally Posted by paulosey View Post
    Well....I may be too picky. Although he was a nice guy, he was what I would consider green. He didn't neck rein, but he did move off my legs after a few minutes to figure things out, (the owner had to kick him hard to get him to move). He went with his head in the air and gaped his mouth and generally resisted the bit. He would be a project to school to the level I think a good trail horse should be at to be nice to ride. If anything he made my younger horse look pretty good. Le sigh....
    Too bad that one didn't work.

When looking for that one horse, seems that we have to kiss many frogs before we find the right match.

Just keep looking, that is the only way to find the right one, eventually.

I have good news...I found a horse. I was looking for temperment and found a 2.5 year old paint. I thought he was way too young until I met him and nothing phases this guy. He has been backed and was going over tarps on his second ride.

He walked right onto the trailer and trailered like a pro. The breeders had spent alot of time on ground work and exposure to things and it shows. He has the mind of a 10 year old.

His sire is noted for his calm disposition and giving it to his foals. So anyway...I have him at an indoor for the winter and am enjoying playing with him!

3 members found this post helpful.

That's great! I was also looking for a nice calm horse. A been there, done that type that I could trail ride and also take to some local smaller hunter shows. I was looking at the 10+ yr olds but what did I end up buying??? a 4yr old thoroughbred gelding. It does not matter how old they are but what matters is how much time somebody has put into them.... Good luck

Ok...so I just had to include a picture of my new boy. He's been a dream so far!
    http://s1072.beta.photobucket.com/us...15226045109168

1 members found this post helpful.