The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

that is suspicious, for sure. I hope she ends up in a good home.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

2 members found this post helpful.

My horse is soon to be 25 and there would be a line out the door if I were to announce he was looking for a new home, so the age part if relative. My horse is in great shape and packs anyone and everyone around still.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    I have a gelding I would like to "bless" someone with.
    Haha, that's the first thing I thought too. Except mine is a mare.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperFoxFarm View Post
    .... I have a TBX mare in her mid thirties who is still fit and active, ... This mare could easily have 15 more useful yrs in her future, with the right care.

CFF
    Useful years into the forties??? I think this is rather optimistic.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    My freind was riding her old horse into his mid thrities. she lost him at 37 so yes 15 years is feasable

Remember your grandparents? 50 used to be ancient, not so much now.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    I took that to mean that the giveaway mare could have 15 years left...which is still, in my opinion, optimistic (that she'd be mid-30s and useful). Especially when you don't know the history of the horse in question.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by S1969 View Post
    I took that to mean that the giveaway mare could have 15 years left...which is still, in my opinion, optimistic (that she'd be mid-30s and useful). Especially when you don't know the history of the horse in question.
    Ah yes, I thought the poster was saying that her personal horse would have 15 more useful years left at currently mid-thirties! I was thinking "That would be a 45 year old horse!!!"

Yes, the CL giveaway could have 15 more useful years IF she is in good condition and healthy. We had an Arab/QH cross that was 35 when we put her down.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

1 members found this post helpful.

I agree with those who say she could have more years in her. When I lived in Hawaii we had a little mare (who was appropriately named Linger) who they finally had to put down somewhere near 40. She didn't do a whole lot, but she bucked me off two days before they had to put her down. Her owners paid me to keep her moving for 15 minutes or so each day since I was (sigh) 90 whole pounds. She was an Arab cross of sorts and had to be put down because of a colic episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I knew a horse who lived into his mid forties. He was a grade qh/tb cross of some sort. When he was 33 I was schooling him 2 cd level and working on some 3 rd level stuff as his rider was laid up with a broken back. Mind you, I thought he was in his early twenties at the time, didn't learn his true age until many years later. it's probably a good thing cause if I knew how old he was at the time I would only have walked him!!!

I'm usually one of the first to condemn someone for trying to dump an old horse, or to get another person to pay for the horse's retirement, but I just don't see that here. I think there *are* good homes for 20 year old rideable bombproof horses, and I think it is really good that the owners are giving her away so they can pick which home they think is best for her.

My trainer wanted to lease my 22 year old bombproof large pony for a client recently.

We just don't know exactly what's going on, but based on the ad I think it sounds fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    I agree with those who say she could have more years in her. When I lived in Hawaii we had a little mare (who was appropriately named Linger) who they finally had to put down somewhere near 40. She didn't do a whole lot, but she bucked me off two days before they had to put her down. Her owners paid me to keep her moving for 15 minutes or so each day since I was (sigh) 90 whole pounds. She was an Arab cross of sorts and had to be put down because of a colic episode.
    I think animals are just like people and a lot of their longevity is in their genes, care, and luck...I learned to jump on an Appendix gelding who was in his upper twenties. Some (unfortunately) are lost too young and some just keep going and going!
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Quote Originally Posted by SendenHorse View Post
    Knowing many religious people who talk "Christian-eze" I actually suspect they are sincere...??? (I am a christian too but I don't associate with these types at this point).
    " Christian-eze" is a new one on me. Can you explain what that is exactly??

Why is it so hard for people to believe that there are honest people out there that may have a perfectly healthy, ridable horse that they would gift to someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by shiningwizard255 View Post
    I think animals are just like people and a lot of their longevity is in their genes, care, and luck...I learned to jump on an Appendix gelding who was in his upper twenties. Some (unfortunately) are lost too young and some just keep going and going!
    We had a horse at the stable I boarded at years ago who was close to 40. Never a sick day in her life, used for lessons all the time and if she had been offered for sale the people wanting her would be lined up for miles. These good horses do exist and this CL horse might just be one of them.

I guess my problem is with the whole 'gift' thing. Horses are not gifts, they're debt on hooves. It's like with all the car commercials during the holidays, give your ____________a new car and 5 years or more of debt. Happy Holidays honey!

6 members found this post helpful.

My 25 year old QH cross is the best horse I've ever owned. He's still going strong and shows no sign of wanting to slow down. Love him and not sure how I'll get along without him when it's his time.

As predicted, the original ad went "poof"
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Quote Originally Posted by candyappy View Post
    " Christian-eze" is a new one on me. Can you explain what that is exactly??

Why is it so hard for people to believe that there are honest people out there that may have a perfectly healthy, ridable horse that they would gift to someone else?
    Because a 20 year old horse is more likely a liability and it is a bit cynical to unload such a horse on someone as a 'blessing'? Unless it comes with free room and board and vet bills for the rest of it's life. Now that would truly be a blessing. Otherwise, it is a risk. And sure, she could be a nice mare, sound and healthy with 10 or 15 years left but it's a gamble. Not a 'blessing'.

How often do you see 20 y.o. TB's that can not be rehomed?

I know that horses live into their late 30's and are still ridable, it's just not the norm. Wish it was...well, sometimes!
    I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Quote Originally Posted by Chardavej View Post
    I know that horses live into their late 30's and are still ridable, it's just not the norm. Wish it was...well, sometimes!
    Agreed. We all know of a horse or two that was useable into their late 20s and even some into their 30s, but most of the horses we know that are truly sound and useable are not that old. Which suggests that most of them are NOT rideable/useable in their elderly years.

It is possible that this person thinks they are blessing someone, but I agree with the poster that said all horses are a liability...and an older one is a big gamble. It's easy to find a cheap or free horse these days....that's not the expensive part.

Just look on Craigslist every day....they are a dime a dozen.

Welp, I missed the original ad with pic, but, being a former horse trader in a previous life (in a good way, I actually cared about every horse I had which came through), I'm going with a bit cynical. I'm sort of a half Christian/half Wiccan sort of gal (it's possible, really) and when someone came onto my property, back in the day, and started in on the blessings and how great a christian they were and all twinkly toes, better watch out, they'd cheat you faster than any card shark.

It's possible they really do care about the old dear but given her age and the Pastor's number at the bottom, I'm going with they need to clear out the deadwood in the barn before a hard winter hits and they have to take care of her.

Cynical - 75%
    Benevolent - 25%
    GR24's Musing #18 - More a reminder than a muse, on the first of the month, do your boob check for any lumps or differences.

Quote Originally Posted by goneriding24 View Post
    Welp, I missed the original ad with pic, but, being a former horse trader in a previous life (in a good way, I actually cared about every horse I had which came through), I'm going with a bit cynical. I'm sort of a half Christian/half Wiccan sort of gal (it's possible, really) and when someone came onto my property, back in the day, and started in on the blessings and how great a christian they were and all twinkly toes, better watch out, they'd cheat you faster than any card shark.

It's possible they really do care about the old dear but given her age and the Pastor's number at the bottom, I'm going with they need to clear out the deadwood in the barn before a hard winter hits and they have to take care of her.

Cynical - 75%
    Benevolent - 25%
    LOL, and I thought I was the cynic!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.