The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DIY beaded browbands?

So, lately, I've really been wanting one of the Flying Change beaded browbands
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/flying...x?cm_vc=Search

But i can't really justify the price for a whim and they don't have the exact colors I want. Has anybody made something similar? Can point me in the direction of a how-to? Thanks!

PS: no, I won't show in it, just want something to pretty up an OLD schooling bridle in the winter.
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

This is a great thread. I've thought about doing it myself, as a small Etsy type thing. People pay serious money for those things! When I was at EA, I saw some (that I thought were pretty ugly) going for upwards of $100.

I've heard of some people super gluing them to browbands but that seems tacky.

This video gave me an idea. You'd have to purchase the *empty* browband and then make the bead string yourself, perhaps out of fishing wire, and then find small clips for either end. Past the empty browband, it doesn't seem too expensive!

ETA: This website popped up for me after some further sleuthing, and it has DIY kits that aren't too expensive. I'm sure you could sub out for the beads that you wanted!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Mad Mare makes AWESOME ones! Very reasonably priced and she is in VA.

LOVE mine!

Try PM-ing her.

My friend and I have made many of her own...I am not sure she posts on here much. I bought the browband and a few strands to get started, then she got a bunch of beads, string, and clasps. What I need to find out what guage the beading wire is we used. It is easiest to use the treys that allow you to lay the beads out in a row and move them around. Mine have all lasted and cost only a few bucks a piece to make.

Yes, a friend and I make our own. We have a local amish guy make our "blank" brow bands.
    I put the hardware in and we make interchangeable strings of beads. It is super
    fun.

44 bucks for the beaded one?Not too bad, considering the brow band plus the beads plus labor.
    Seems that the linked model comes with little snaps to undo the beads from the brow band.
    I think go for it and buy it: you can buy the clasps and beads at a craft store, and make up enough strands of beads to have a different look for every day of the year! And you don't have to disassemble the bridle to put them on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    44 bucks for the beaded one?Not too bad, considering the brow band plus the beads plus labor.
    Seems that the linked model comes with little snaps to undo the beads from the brow band.
    I think go for it and buy it: you can buy the clasps and beads at a craft store, and make up enough strands of beads to have a different look for every day of the year! And you don't have to disassemble the bridle to put them on!
    From what I can tell, the browband is sold separately and is not included in the 44 dollars. The 44 dollars is JUST the beaded strand. The browband itself is 80 dollars (with NO beaded strand)
    Last edited by ElisLove; Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ElisLove View Post
    From what I can tell, the browband is sold separately and is not included in the 44 dollars. The 44 dollars is JUST the beaded strand.
    LOL, in THAT case......
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

This website was posted a while ago as a source for empty channel browbands as well as a step-by-step instruction on how to bead your own. I bought some supplies to do it but haven't gotten around to it yet. Sounds easy enough though
    Last edited by Shannon.Ryan18; Dec. 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Typo.
    My OTTB and Finger Lakes Finest, Sunny Boy 'n Ben E and the old man, Salvator.

Check out Second Chance Thoroughbreds and like us on Facebook!

Thanks, everybody! I bought a regular plain browband the other day I may take to the harness man to see if he can add the rings to clip the beads to. That seems like the easiest way.

Beckham & Gandolph: how did you finish the strands so they didn't break? I'm having visions of the clasp coming off and beads going everywhere mid-ride!
    "Radar, the man's ex-cavalry: if he sees four flies having a meeting, he knows they're talking about a horse!" Cptn. BJ Hunnicutt, M*A*S*H Season 4, Episode "Dear Mildred"

Also, how did you measure for the strand to know it would be the right length without flopping or being too tight and straining the wire? Thanks again!