The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How to teach young horse to poop outside?

Probably won't be able to, but my young horse treats her stall as her personal bathroom. She will walk in from outside, poop or pee, and head back out. She never sleeps inside, preferring the outdoors in all weather, including mud season which is now upon us, to being indoors. I wish there was some way to teach her to potty outside instead of inside and then she might want to use her stall as her bed. Sigh. Is there a way aside from blocking her off from entering during the day?
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

A lot of horses prefer to go to the bathroom in a stall as the shavings prevent splashing up onto their legs.

1 members found this post helpful.

Idk but a friend has trained hers to pee on command lol. Before they ride they pee and before they get on the trailer. Lol.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Maybe she just prefers to poop and pee in a more private place, so no one else can see.

1 members found this post helpful.

Agree with ElisLove. How about a nice pile of shavings just outside her stall and less inside (or none for a while)? Perhaps that would encourage her to go outside. And sometimes if you put a little dirty shavings in the pile, that encourages the horse to go in the same place.

I read something similar to the above... put the dirty bedding outside, where you want them to go. If you can put up a little stall guard to keep her out during the day until she gets the hint, then I would.

None of my horses have ever pooped in my house.

5 members found this post helpful.

You can teach them to go anywhere you like, by piling the poo in the chosen spot.
    She probably picked up the inside habit when very young.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    You can teach them to go anywhere you like, by piling the poo in the chosen spot.
    She probably picked up the inside habit when very young.
    Tried that with my gelding... didn't work It got better with him when he stopped peeing all over his stall. Now he pee's in the middle and poops around the outside.
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I've known a few people who encouraged their horses to go outside a couple of different ways.

1. NO bedding in the stall. It's a pain the first few times they use the stall as a toilet, but it worked out in the end.

2. A friend's horse not only liked to go in his stall, but on his hay. She decided to leave one sacrificial flake of hay out side. The eating hay was put in a hay rack or hay bag. Tada!! No more peeing in the stall.

Good luck.

I put a water trough at the end of the run. I also never put shavings in the stall. I have had one horse who never would go out. Same set up. And good grief, if it was raining, he did all business inside. He would look out his stall, and into the run, and if he saw something "interesting" he would poop right there. It never made a difference how deep the poop got, he was always a hit and miss on going outside. I finally got tired of cleaning poop, so he was banned from being in the stall. He and his poop stayed outside.

One horse I had a QH would poop on top of the same pile each time, very neat. My current horse, she does her business outside too. Both of these - rain shine snow whatever - poop outside. They just like a clean stall. If they are locked in due to weather or whatever, even with just mats, there may be one poop pile, but it would remain undisturbed until cleaned up. Other horse above, holy cow, huge mess all over everywhere. If I added shavings, omg, worse!

I would start by putting a water trough wayyy out in the run or paddock. Maybe start locking her out in the paddock. That way maybe she will catch a clue that poop goes outside and a nice lovely indoor stall is for eating and sleeping. It depends on how large your paddock is.

Ahhh, the pooping/peeing habits of horses. We have 16 at our barn that are only in at night.

All of the OTTB's trash their stalls every night. No matter how deep the shavings, it's still a mess. And then they lay down in and sleep in it.

The hiders: leave one or two neat piles that are easy to pickup. But, as you go to fluff the old shavings and level things out, discover the hidden piles.

The neatnick: poops in the same place in the back of her stall every night. Pees there too.

The Wanderer: creates an island in the middle of the stall every night. Most of the poop/pee is smushed into a mess along the edges. But, watch out for the hidden piles.

The hay pooper: wastes perfectly good edible hay by pooping on it/in it.

The bucket pooper: We have one horse who, when (in his mind) all is not right with his world, will poop in his water bucket. Luckily, he has two.

The rest are just run of the mill messes! LOL
    And nothing bad happened!

3 members found this post helpful.

In addition to putting a small pile of shavings outside put a few piles of another horses manure in the desired corner( as fresh as possible) and change it out everyday. I think geldings and stallions are easier to train, but it is worth a try. My mule actually straddles his piles and makes a huge mountain, so easy to clean up and he isn't even stalled.

Her paddock is about 3/4 of an acre so lots of room. Her water is out near the gate away from her stall so she has to leave her food for a drink. She started this because when she was originally brought in from the wild (mustang) the girl who was taking "care" of her (I use that term very loosely) kept her in a tiny stall that eventually was about a foot deep in poo. Poor kid only got out for a quick walk around and then back in. Luckily she was repossessed and I ended up with her. So I'm not surprised she uses her stall as her potty area but I'd like to break that habit. My other mustang, she will never poop where she eats or in her stall unless she's confined and then she'll go in the far back corner. She will leave her stall and go to her pooping/peeing area, take care of business and come back in to eat. Love for Xena to learn this.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

My worst pooper (the one I talked about above) was a stallion until he was 3.

The QH was gelded at 6 months, had until he was 7.
    The current horse I have now is a mare. Have had her from 1.5 years old to now, and she will be 7 next summer.

?

Jaslyn, LOVE your descriptions.

My worst pooper pooped/pee'd everywhere and then some. If there were shavings they would be wet, trampled down with poop everywhere. It is like there was no thought process to his mad pooping everywhere. And yeah, he pooped on his hay too. I fed him out of an empty water trough in the pasture. And he would poop and eat. I would move the trough every few days. If I tossed hay on the ground he would eat some then poop/pee on the rest. ARG.

I love a neat stall keeper.

The mare I have is inconsistent on pooping in the trailer. Sometimes there is, and sometimes there ain't. Pee? no way.

People have "house broken" horses via clicker training. Guide horses (minis) live in human houses and have to be trained more or less like a dog who lives indoors.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden

Can you feed the hay outside? That makes a huge difference in cutting down the stall pooping here.

I do lock the horses outside their stalls for the day/night (depending on the season) because most of them will also come in to "do their business" and then go back out.

I feed hay in small mesh hay nets under the overhangs and that cuts out the hay poopers. As hard and expensive as it is to get good hay, pooping on it is not tolerated!!

My mare makes a point to always pee in the stall due to splash. I don't really mind and don't blame her! She poops outside, and always has.

Well, it doesn’t work all of the time, but my mare has a stall (mare motel type) with a small run – all summer I had her going to bathroom outside (yes! It was great!).

I accomplished this by a combo of the suggestions above. First, I bedded her stall very lightly, I made a “pee area” in her run by filling a low spot with a combo of dirty (but no manure) and clean bedding – a no splash pee area if you will. And left a pile of manure in a choice corner.

And it worked! I was coming out each day to find a perfectly clean stall, poop all in one pile in the corner – bliss!

But – come the rains and winter – miss princess does not want to go outside in the rain to do her business. Instead she is doing it all in her stall – and walking into a total mess – I have been stripping the stall daily. Humph. But, the rain has let up, and I took her bedding away – hopefully she will go outside! Fingers crossed for a clean stall today!