The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default My new discovery: Diaper bags!

I was looking for a tote to put everything in for agility class/trials and was having a hard time. Thought about some of the soft sided grooming caddies for horses, but they were too small or too expensive and I wanted something that zipped up so my dachshunds couldn't nose their way into it. Today, I discovered a 5-in-1 diaper bag for $29 that is perfect. Big main bag (big enough to fit my new foldable x-pen in), plus a smaller bag, both with tons of pockets and zippers; key chain clip; little plastic pouch I can put cheese sticks or gross meaty things in; bottle holder that will fit a water bottle; and a changing mat that I can put under the water dish at trials. Also, I could probably fit a dachshund in the larger bag, if I really wanted to.

Now I'm thinking I should get the same one for a barn bag... I am pretty sure I can fit everything from helmet to a spare jacket to gloves to treats to grooming stuff in there.

Who knew babies could actually be useful?

4 members found this post helpful.

[QUOTE

Who knew babies could actually be useful?[/QUOTE]

I've been using them for their diapers and abscesses for years, but the diaper bag is pure genius. Just hope no one mistakes me for being a real "breeder" by carrying one.

1 members found this post helpful.

This has been recommended to me because I want a bag with pockets AND an insulated compartment for treats and water. Diaper bags I've looked at in person don't seem to have an insulated section. Does yours?

What a great idea. If I get mistaken, it's going to be for a real "breeder's" Mom, who's babysitting.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Bicoastal, this one doesn't have an insulated pouch, but I bet there are some out there that do... mine is big enough to hold my insulated lunch bag, though! I got one of the cheapest ones; most of the others ranged from $40-60, and those seemed to have some fancier features.

I started looking because my friend was hosting one of those 31 Gifts parties and had a bag that I thought would be neat for agility. Their small utility tote thing (which basically looks like a fancy cloth grooming caddy, with the pockets on the outside) is $30, so I thought about that... my friend has one and it's big enough to stuff her helmet in the middle and grooming stuff around it. I still might get one for the barn at some point because they have cute patterns and monograms. But they have a wide variety of tote bags that have insert bags that you can take out and put in, including insulated ones, and it all seems very nice and organized. Can get pricey, but if I did more trials and stuff like that, it would definitely be worth it to have a set like that with all the bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    one of those 31 Gifts parties and had a bag that I thought would be neat for agility. Their small utility tote thing (which basically looks like a fancy cloth grooming caddy, with the pockets on the outside) is $30, so I thought about that... my friend has one and it's big enough to stuff her helmet in the middle and grooming stuff around it.
    EEK I love those! Was this the small utility tote (no longer listed in their catalog) or the big one? My friend sells for them so I have tried repeatedly to get a catalog or host a party through her. She doesn't follow through, never even sending me a catalog. Crummy salesperson!

I think it was the "regular" utility tote, not the large--the large was $50, but that one was able to have all the inserts and stuff like that. The catalog is available to download on their website, so if you look on there and call her with an order maybe she will actually follow through! (:

I'm a full-time graduate student, and my every day/class purse to lug stuff around is an Eddie Bauer diaper bag that I got with a 20% coupon at Babies-R-Us.

Lots of pockets and room for my books, wallet, misc. items.
    Lucy (Precious Star) - 1994 TB mare; happily reunited with her colt Touch the Stars

Ooh, you know, I like to keep my camera in a camera size bag that doesn't scream, "camera - look in here!", when I leave it in the car. Currently it's living in a rather small soft-sided plastic lunch bag. Think I'll head on over to the baby deparment to look at the "new selections".
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I do a number of different performance venues (obedience, rally, agility, lure coursing, etc.) with my Standard Poodle and the gear bag I have found to be perfect for us is from Doggone Good. I've attached a link to it below, hopefully it will work. Has all kinds of pockets (internal and external) clips, insulated pocket with a small drain, mesh pocket for items that might need to breathe, waterproof bottom, etc. Has an over the shoulder strap and and handles, depending on how you want to carry and come in 4 colors. I love it.

Doggone Good Gear Bag

http://www.doggonegood.com/index.cfm...&ParentCat=581