The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Nice TB stallion, Wild Desert.

Thought I'd throw this guy out there, if anyone is looking for nice XX blood, an out-of-the box suggestion.

http://briarhillfarmthoroughbreds.co...stallions.html
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/wild+desert

I've now seen a few, and they have nice size, lower-limb conformation, nice hind-ends, necks, type etc - quality conformation. Pretty.

Where they stand apart is in their athletic capacity - absolutely make a fancy hunter, but wow - big athletic walks & wonderful rhythmic canters. A good friend has one, and as a 3yo this horse is brave & a pleasure to ride. Takes everything in stride; such a willing individual who is a fabulous riding horse, with very little formal training, as one would expect in a 3yo. Fancy, with plenty of jump. It will be interesting to see how her jump develops, n=1 with jumping is not the best indicator of jump, I will absolutely admit. However, with the walk/canter/overall athleticism & work ethic, you are stacking the deck in your favor.

So, this is an idea, or perhaps a name to keep in mind when looking at TB prospects. My guess is that his stud fee will be reasonable. As always [disclaimer]: do your own research, make sure you like the horse in front of you if evaluating a prospect, and that he'd suit your mare - but he is absolutely a quality individual, siring nice horses.

Bloodlines are not too shabby

He looks lovely...
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

I like Sociano much more and his pedigree as well.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/sociano

And I like their Indian Ocean and Red Scamper.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by columbus View Post
    I like Sociano much more and his pedigree as well.
    http://www.pedigreequery.com/sociano
    I would have thought, based on pedigree, but I've heard that this is just not the case. Wild Desert is reported (by those I trust) to have great conformation & presence. Unfortunately, though Sociano is literally down the road, I've yet to see any foals/horses by him. I have seen a few by Wild Desert, and he is passing along some super riding-horse qualities. I will be making a visit to this farm soon, I can't wait

1 members found this post helpful.

I am liking Sociano.

I have a mare with Well Decorated as her paternal grand sire. I am not sure she would be a good match. She has Damascus and In Reality in her dam line so I am not sure Wild Desert would work either. That's okay though since she is for sale.

Both look dreamy though!

I Love looking at pedigrees and conformation pictures!

What have you heard/seen of Indian Ocean's progeny-- aside from the colt who won Best Young Horse at Devon a few years ago? I love both his looks and his pedigree (e.g. take a look at the video of Sea Lord on the Dressage Forum-- GP horse also 2x back to Northern Dancer).

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Before reading Columbus's post, I was going to say the exact same thing. I prefer Sociano.

I am a bit late to this thread but when I read it, I registered just to chime in. Wild Desert stood at my farm for two years in New York, 2010 and 2011. He is the sweetest, nicest stallion I have ever worked with. His disposition was absolutely exquisite, and of the 40+ babies that I worked with sired by him, they all had the same beautiful personality. He stands a solid 16.2 and is absolutely gorgeous mover. I rehomed several of his babies as Hunter prospects as they just floated across the ground and had a beautiful disposition. If you have any questions about Wild Desert or any of his offspring I would be glad to answer. Though I am completely out of breeding – – if I was breeding a Hunter he would definitely be my first choice. All the best with your decisions and good luck in the future with your horses.

4 members found this post helpful.

Default TB Stallions

Indian Ocean is lovely. Question re: Wild Desert....is it just a bad photo or is he over at the knee on the right?

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Kayne View Post
    I am a bit late to this thread but when I read it, I registered just to chime in. Wild Desert stood at my farm for two years in New York, 2010 and 2011. He is the sweetest, nicest stallion I have ever worked with. His disposition was absolutely exquisite, and of the 40+ babies that I worked with sired by him, they all had the same beautiful personality. He stands a solid 16.2 and is absolutely gorgeous mover. I rehomed several of his babies as Hunter prospects as they just floated across the ground and had a beautiful disposition. If you have any questions about Wild Desert or any of his offspring I would be glad to answer. Though I am completely out of breeding – – if I was breeding a Hunter he would definitely be my first choice. All the best with your decisions and good luck in the future with your horses.

I bought a coming four year old by Wild Desert straight from the track eight weeks ago. He has THE BEST MIND and is such a sweet and sensible horse. I've only done ground work with him so far, but looks to be a lovely mover from what I've seen of him in the pasture and ring. Really happy with him and looking forward to beginning his re-training next month. I think he will make an athletic and quiet hunter/jumper.

I know this is a super old thread, I was just googling Wild Desert and came across it... I have a Wild Desert mare and I have to say, this horse is one of the best young horses I have ever worked with. I picked her up two months before her third birthday... I have loved every second of bringing her along... the mind on this mare is amazing... her three year old year, she went to Equine Affair, she's hauled up to GMHA, she's been to four day shows... I can trail ride her through anything, no spook, no questioning anything... nothing phases her... I can put an 8 year old on her to trot around and she goes around like an old lesson horse!

And she moves like a dream... fabulous walk and canter, and her trot is just lovely... such a comfortable, free moving ride... point and shoot to the jumps from her very first one... I just can not say enough good things about this mare, mind, movement, personality... I would buy or breed another one in a heart beat!

I have plenty of pictures and video for anybody considering breeding to him

www.lindseycanesi.weebly.com

*Know Jumps, Know Glory... No Jumps, No Glory*

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

entirely unrelated, but I wondered where Indian Ocean went after leaving Bridlewood. He always made some pretty babies that is for sure.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Love what it seems Wild Desert puts on his get for brains and hunter movement.

But I LOVE LOVE LOVE the type and look of Indian Ocean....DROOL!!!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Equine & Pet Portrait Artist
    www.elainehickman.com
    **Morgans Do It All**

IMO, if I were breeding for Hunter, I would prefer Indian Ocean. He has a better coupling of the loin to croup, a better hindquarter with a good stifle connection, a strong gaskin and a better line down to the hocks and good cannons in all 4s. Good front legs with a long forearm at least from the side. He has a bit of a lower set for neck, but it has a pleasant appearance to it, nice through the throatlatch, and he has a nice slope to his shoulder. He also has a lovely head.

IMO, Wild Desert is also a nice choice, but he does have a weaker loin-croup connection, and is a bit straight behind and this in turn leaves him at a disadvantage for take-off in jumping. He has a nice neck through the throatlatch and a pleasing shape to his neck and where it connects at the withers, but his neck is also what we would term "a bit low". He has an attractive head and very attractive demeanor about him. His shoulder line is a bit straight and he is slightly soft through the pasterns. Can't tell if he is in the middle of taking a step or if he might be a bit over at the knee. That said, it is better to be *slightly* over (but not a lot), than back at the knee, especially for jumping. Nice stallion who has a pleasing overall appearance.

Just my thoughts and opinions.

The real trick is to see them moving. And especially for Hunter, temperament is everything. You can overcome a few minor faults if the temperament makes up for it. Just my opinion.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    entirely unrelated, but I wondered where Indian Ocean went after leaving Bridlewood. He always made some pretty babies that is for sure.
    http://briarhillfarmthoroughbreds.co...stallions.html

Indian Ocean Stands at Briar Hill now... or was there when I was there last fall anyway

I will admit, when I went and met both Stallions (after purchasing my Wild Desert filly) ... in person, Wild Desert reminded me of a bit of an over grown hunter pony... I didn't really see my filly in him, other than the movement and personality... so down to earth, and laid back! And she got his big walk and canter... my filly is tall, slender and leggy... but has her Dad's amazing mind and nice movement for sure... I sat by his paddock with a book just hanging out with him, and he stood and hung out watching me... (very nice people at Briar Hill to let me come and hang out with my babies Dad! )

But that Indian Ocean is one impressive horse in person! Also very sweet and level headed, just hanging out

3 members found this post helpful.

I should clarify, I mean over grown hunter pony in a good way ;-) he's a bit stocky and well built, but I was surprised, as my mare is so slender and leggy!

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

OT--I just found this guy for sale in Canada on EquineNow--Sea Pleasure, now sold. 2000 model, 18 wins, and a very decent pedigree for sport. There is video with the EquineNow ad.
    http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-548959
    I wonder whatever happened to him and if he's still a stallion.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire