The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you lie about your identity?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

264 89.80%
  • Yes, I alter/invent parts of my identity.

13 4.42%
  • Yes, my online identity is completely false

0 0%
  • I have multiple personalities, so it's hard to say if I'm lying or not.

17 5.78%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

I have learned that, to keep readers on the ball, I have to regularly repeat that I am old and short, only have a couple or so older horses around and am semi-retired from training.

Some times, without lying, but by omission or misunderstandings, we are taken for someone we didn't intent to come across.

Now, seems that some do clearly lie.
    I wonder why some would do that?
    Seems a waste of time and effort to keep such up.

2 members found this post helpful.

No. Lying takes too much energy for one thing, and for another I like the idea of meeting some COTH'ers one day or the other and would not like to have to sort out fact from fiction!

I can't be bothered to lie. My COTH name is my real first name and last initial and I have linked to pictures with my full name. While I have only met a few listers IRL that I know of, there are probably several that know me as I have been involved in the horse business in WNY my entire life and my parents did boarding and some training from the late 60s through the 80s.

As for what I do, I have a Masters Degree in Mathematics and currently teach as an Adjunct Instructor at a community college. I am looking for a full time position.

Christa

No. There's no point, no real benefit, and it's just not worth it. I see no reason to lie. Alter or not, it's really not truly anonymous. So unless you're playing some kind of fantasy game and everyone's in on the joke, why do it??? It's just bad karma.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

1 members found this post helpful.

No. I don't see the point in lying online. The reason I interact with people on line is to have a conversation...learn things, share things, if I were making things up, I'd get nothing out of it at all, so why waste my time.

Also, I think I'm OK, I'm not perfect, but I like myself well enough to be myself. People can either consider me a person they like and respect or not, but, at least any feedback I get positive or negative, is legitimate, which it wouldn't be if I were pretending to be someone else.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    That's funny, most of the respondents say they don't lie, but I have yet to see people writing down the names of their employers and precisely what they do for a living either. They'll come close but isn't that an alteration?
    Why do you consider it lying if someone prefers not to give out their employment information? There are some real crazies on the interwebz, and people have been harassed, stalked, and their employers called to 'tattle' on them. Who needs that insanity?

I am who I say I am, and don't have to make up fictitious husbands, nonexistent show records, or claim expertise and education in a field of which I know nothing. Real life holds enough excitement for me; I don't need to build a fake one.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

5 members found this post helpful.

I wish I could lie!! My problem is I tell the 'truth' too much!

3 members found this post helpful.

Being a (somewhat reformed) liar myself, I can spot a liar from a mile away. Not gonna lie, I have exaggerated online before, who hasn't? I don't just go and make things up, and I really don't exaggerate my skills or experience on here. It's more like I'll say this happened to my horse but it happened to one of my good friends' horses. Or twisting a story just a little so that people I know IRL that may or may not be on here can't guess who I am or who I'm talking about. I guess people on here are just saints!

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz's View Post
    Being a (somewhat reformed) liar myself, I can spot a liar from a mile away. Not gonna lie, I have exaggerated online before, who hasn't? I don't just go and make things up, and I really don't exaggerate my skills or experience on here. It's more like I'll say this happened to my horse but it happened to one of my good friends' horses. Or twisting a story just a little so that people I know IRL that may or may not be on here can't guess who I am or who I'm talking about. I guess people on here are just saints!
    yes, yes we are!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by arabhorse2 View Post
    Why do you consider it lying if someone prefers not to give out their employment information? There are some real crazies on the interwebz, and people have been harassed, stalked, and their employers called to 'tattle' on them. Who needs that insanity?
    Agreed. Not lying does not equal blabbing all one's personal information all over the Internet. That would be stupid. I don't tell everyone I see on the street my last name, my home address, my phone number and my employer either. What I do say is true, but I don't say EVERYTHING that's stored in my head...not only would it be stupid and leave me open to scams and other predatory behavior, but I'd bore you all to tears as well .

4 members found this post helpful.

I am so not creative enough to be a good liar (or a criminal). I would never keep the stories straight if I told them. Heck, I have a hard time keeping real life things (dates, times and names) straight.

Add me to the group that does not count giving every last detail about yourself as a necessary for being honest. It is silly to say that because people do not post their birth date, social security number and their mother's maiden name they are lying by omission.

2 members found this post helpful.

Agreed. Not lying does not equal blabbing all one's personal information all over the Internet. That would be stupid. I don't tell everyone I see on the street my last name, my home address, my phone number and my employer either. What I do say is true, but I don't say EVERYTHING that's stored in my head...not only would it be stupid and leave me open to scams and other predatory behavior, but I'd bore you all to tears as well .

I have a story about "lying" on forums and will do my best to keep it short. (but no, I don't lie).

Several years ago on a different forum I met a friend and wished we lived closer because we got along so well. We chatted nightly and had so much fun talking horses and life in general. About 6 months after we became friends my Hubby had a business trip in her town across the country. My kids and I decided to go along and the plan was for me and the kids to hang out w/my Forum Friend and her hubby. We met the first day and it was terrific; she even asked one of my kids to go riding with her. I again wished she lived closer because I was sure we were kindred spirits.

That night I got a call on my cell phone from a friend (in real life who was also on the forum) with a warning. My forum friend's husband was a convicted sex offender and the offense was committed with a child under 16! I was stunned. I also went straight to the sex offenders registry to find it was true. Sadly.

I felt I had let down not only myself but neglected to protect my children from someone who could possibly hurt them. Never again.

Now I don't believe anyone on the internet. Forum or otherwise. It's too easy to lie. We've all seen people pretend they were the cat's meow only to find out they are rats.

Internet = buyer beware

Quote Originally Posted by NoSuchPerson View Post
    Depends on what you consider lying. I will alter details in order to keep a person/location/situation from being clearly identified by people who might recognize them/it. I will also omit/alter information that isn't relevant to the subject at hand in order to avoid writing a big essay that no one has the stamina to read anyway.
    Yes. This. I have no idea if I know anyone on this BB in real life, and I really don't care to find out, but I do know some crazy whack-job horse people in real life. If they're on here, I'd rather they not figure out who I am and subsequently what I'm doing in my day-to-day horse life via what I post on this board.

I don't see a reason to share my profession if it has nothing to do with the topic at hand. When I have something to say as an expert, I'll give you guys my qualifications so you can judge the quality of my remarks.

OTOH, I'd be an idiot if I gave away my work on the interwebz and then got into a pissing contest about whether I not I knew what I was doing and the free advice ought to be valued.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Well, it was interesting that my comment got such a response.

Do I lie about my employer - well, technically no - because nobody has come out and asked straight out do you work for the blah blah Service. I work for the Federal government but I don't say what branch or precisely what I do, and I consider that to be, not a lie, but an omission. The poll asked do you alter and I consider an omission to be an alteration. So I guess we have semantics at work.

*Here's the spot where I cut out three paragraphs about what's really going on here at Fallingdown Acres.*

As NoSuchPerson said, altering and omitting are what keep people from either yawning and wandering away or getting totally confused.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by PebblesNana View Post
    I have a story about "lying" on forums and will do my best to keep it short. (but no, I don't lie).

Several years ago on a different forum I met a friend and wished we lived closer because we got along so well. We chatted nightly and had so much fun talking horses and life in general. About 6 months after we became friends my Hubby had a business trip in her town across the country. My kids and I decided to go along and the plan was for me and the kids to hang out w/my Forum Friend and her hubby. We met the first day and it was terrific; she even asked one of my kids to go riding with her. I again wished she lived closer because I was sure we were kindred spirits.

That night I got a call on my cell phone from a friend (in real life who was also on the forum) with a warning. My forum friend's husband was a convicted sex offender and the offense was committed with a child under 16! I was stunned. I also went straight to the sex offenders registry to find it was true. Sadly.

I felt I had let down not only myself but neglected to protect my children from someone who could possibly hurt them. Never again.

Now I don't believe anyone on the internet. Forum or otherwise. It's too easy to lie. We've all seen people pretend they were the cat's meow only to find out they are rats.

Internet = buyer beware
    How is your BB friend not telling you that her SO was a registered sex offender tantamount to lying?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    How is your BB friend not telling you that her SO was a registered sex offender tantamount to lying?
    I'm not seeing it as a lie either, but geeze Louise folks, be more careful about people you meet on the internet!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I don't lie-- I am not nearly creative enough and I have a terrible memory. I would be busted in minutes so it would be pointless. I do heavily edit my posts to come across nicer than I am IRL. I have a pathetically weak filter and having to read what I want to say before I post has forced me to realize that I sound pretty bitchy even when I don't mean to! Maybe that counts as lying?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    I'm not seeing it as a lie either, but geeze Louise folks, be more careful about people you meet on the internet!
    Yabbut, the person with this story has no reason to feel betrayed at all.

Did she ask if her BB friend's SO was a sex offender? Would a parent have reasonably expected BB friend to reveal that, unbidden?

The offensive part is the guy being a sex-offender.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat