The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you lie about your identity?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

264 89.80%
  • Yes, I alter/invent parts of my identity.

13 4.42%
  • Yes, my online identity is completely false

0 0%
  • I have multiple personalities, so it's hard to say if I'm lying or not.

17 5.78%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Frig no. Why bother?
    I am here to learn and laugh...and I do plenty of both.
    I've met several people from COTH IRL, and they know i'm the real deal...

Speaking of online lying... Did anyone see the movie CATFISH? Saw it this weekend and that took online lying to a whole super freaky, holycraphowdoesanyonehaveenoughtimeforthat level...
    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

3 members found this post helpful.

I don't see the point of lying online. I know several people from COTH IRL and they know me. Why would I even bother?

If I have nothing to contribute then I just don't share...

I'm too lazy to lie online. That's way too much fiction to keep up with.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

2 members found this post helpful.

I am incapable of lying.

Whoa! I'm cured!
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

No I do not. I would say sometimes I am deliberately vague but it is all 110% truthful. Not because I have anything to be ashamed of but I just don't need every single detail of my horsey life under the microscope. And people here can go a little crazy, better to be safe than sorry by providing all kinds of personal details.

At least four people on this board know who I am and have been to my farm. I have nothing to hide... and if I did I wouldn't write about it on a horse forum.

Well one time I did use an alter on off topic day for a personal issue… and one of my friends figured it out right away lol. Maybe I should have lied then?

Quote Originally Posted by Sonesta View Post
    How do you know they are not lying on this thread when they say they don't lie online???
    Because we said so!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

I can hardly keep my last 4 hours straight, let alone make up a good fib. I have early onset old timers and know too many people here IRL who would happily set me straight.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

I dont see a point in lying. Sure I may omit certain things about me or shorten my name depending on the place. Here, I dont lie. The more that people know the better able they are to help you out.
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Funny story...

I used to belong to a board that was totally not horse related.

During that time, my "other brother" was awarded the Medal of Honor. We went to DC for the ceremony, etc.

Someone on the other board accused me of being a liar. I had pictures of the ceremony but she insisted that anyone could've had those.

I can't tell you how much joy I took in posting pictures of my wedding a few months later with him in it. LOL. It was a little thing, but it sure felt badly to be called a liar. It was nice to post some proof. Never did get an apology though. Hmm.

LOL
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Way back in the very beginning, I said who I was, so I am who and what I say I am. I don't feel as old as I am though. That sounds confusing, hope it's not.

I do have an alter I used a while back, I had some questions I needed answers to without people knowing who was doing the asking.

I had another alter when I was questioning a rescue, but I outed myself right away.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

That's funny, most of the respondents say they don't lie, but I have yet to see people writing down the names of their employers and precisely what they do for a living either. They'll come close but isn't that an alteration?

I talk vaguely about my work, I don't refer to the old guy by his registered name (mainly because his registration hasn't been updated in years and I don't want to make trouble for anyone). i don't straight up LIE, but sins of omission - you betcha!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I can't be bothered to lie. Of course I don't make it easy to find out my real name or address, anybody with an ASB membership could probably figure it out if they tried hard enough.

My info is in my profile.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    That's funny, most of the respondents say they don't lie, but I have yet to see people writing down the names of their employers and precisely what they do for a living either. They'll come close but isn't that an alteration?
    Sonesta here.

In "real life" I am Rebecca Matthews Pennington, attorney at law. Also owner of Sonesta Farms in Cypress, Texas, and breeder and exhibitor of Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

All EASY PEASY to confirm. Will that do?
    Last edited by Sonesta; Dec. 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Removed my Texas State Bar number because, well, random people don't need that info.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Nope, I don't lie online, no alter here It took me a long time to find myself, so now I am completely comfortable with the good, bad, & crazy that comes with my life I will tell a white lie to spare feelings, but never in my work.
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

Kristi Stillwagon. I work for former Progress Energy and now merged Duke Energy. I am a Configuration Manager as well as Document Control.

I live near Ocala FL and have a Rhodie named Amani and 2 children.

I also have a FB
    *^*^*^
    Himmlische Traumpferde
    "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"

no, because I am not very good at back peddling. I don't even lie in real life. I might say the whole truth, but I will not lie.

My mom caught me in one lie as a child and I could not sit down for two days.

ETA: now we are outing ourselves?
    Last edited by MunchingonHay; Dec. 5, 2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: saw people outing themselves.

If anything, I'm more truthful online than in person. That's not to say I'm a compulsive liar IRL, far from it, but with family, well ... I tend to leave out some details here and there.

Besides, I come online so I *can* be me and not feel the need to apologize for it or hide it. If that makes sense.

ETA: Yeah, I used my SS login for this post. It's not for any cloak and dagger stuff, I just can't delete this, then post under my usual without leaving a clue for my giftee.

I answered no. But I lied.

You figure it out.

4 members found this post helpful.

This has been bugging me all day. What on earth is the funny song about the guy making up all this stuff for his on-line persona about how amazing he is, that is all lies? I can't think of it and it's driving me crazy.