The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Do you lie about your identity?

Voters
294. You may not vote on this poll
  • No.

264 89.80%
  • Yes, I alter/invent parts of my identity.

13 4.42%
  • Yes, my online identity is completely false

0 0%
  • I have multiple personalities, so it's hard to say if I'm lying or not.

17 5.78%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    There is a difference between lying about who you are and simply not posting all your personal info for everyone to ogle over. There is nothing wrong with keeping some things to yourself.
    Totally agree. I think too many people put way way way too much personal stuff about themselves out there on line. The other thread has proven that even though people try to be anonymous, if you have enough out there about yourself, both here and in other places, people WILL put two and two together.

If you're here because you run a related business, being open about who you are will only serve you well, because if you lie, you're going to get caught up in it.

For those who are occasional posters who are here to ask a question here and there, learn from reading questions others have asked, there really isn't anything to be gained by telling the entire world about aspects of your life not related to the question at hand.

Kids are taught internet safety in school now. Sometimes I think there should be a manditory "adult user" course in the same, because I find many adults make way too much of themselves available on line.

1 members found this post helpful.

I am who I am. I sit around most of the day with my 9 month old, and COTH is often a form of company for me since she's a holy terror and I refuse to be "that" person in public with the screaming child. I plan on hiding in the house until her stupid teeth come in, which seems as though it will take forever.

I don't really see the point of ruining my time here with lies, because then I'd really be lonely.

That said, I have used an alter during OT day and one other time, which will probably now be outed by the FBI sleuths.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

2 members found this post helpful.

No, I don't lie on-line. Too much mental energy spent.

Just for the record, mswillie (AKA Mathilda, Tillie, Tillie-Willie) was the cat I got after my ex husband stormed out of the house. He hated cats and I was/am quite fond of them. It was my way of telling him that he was out, the cat was in.

That was in 1991. The original Ms. Willie died a couple of months ago at the ripe old age of 21.

I link photos to facebook once in a while so I'm easy to ID if anyone was so inclined. Doubt anyone would give a damn anyway.

No, I don't lie online. I'm not nearly creative enough - lol!

I have no idea how people come up with the stuff they do?

No , I don't lie and if you knew me IRL you would laugh. I actually have been fired by clients for not being able to lie. However, in my work-environmental regulation consultant- I need to be honest in order to sleep at night. Everyone who knows me knows not to ask me ANYTHING if they don't want to hear my opinion.

One client who fired me was Duke Energy.

Quote Originally Posted by cnigh View Post
    No, I don't lie online. I'm not nearly creative enough - lol!

I have no idea how people come up with the stuff they do?
    I'll 2nd this.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Contrary to my initial reply, I am way too lazy to lie.

If I have something to make up, I save it for November Nano....or inbetween attempts to be a grand novelist.
    (My lieing is so bad, I can't even hide my intended murder victim who is real, in my not yet written novel...he would know I am out to get him...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Default I'd never get away with it.

As I'm not very secretive about my horse activities, There are too many people on COTH who know me - I'd be exposed within 5 minutes if tried lying. There also seem to be a lot of local folks that I haven't met and would probably really enjoy know them.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Be bloody stupid to lie about my identity online where I use part of my real (and recognizable) name for my handle and have the company I work for in my signature link.

Then again, I treat the internet as an extension of my social life rather than this wonderful refuge where I can live the life I've always wanted.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

I'll sometimes change names to protect the innocent but I've never flat out lied or made things up
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Seems this poll would end up with results much like those that ask if people wash their hands after using the bathroom. The results of a poll are always much different than actual observation (i.e., most lie and say of course they wash their hands when in fact watching what people actually do reveals most do not).

I don't lie online and I do wash my hands. So there!

ROFLMAO - you only have 1????

Quote Originally Posted by Alagirl View Post
    through my tooth!

I have collapsed stories on occasion when introducing more characters or subplots would confound things.

And every so often I'll type a reply, re-read it, say "well THAT sounds dreadful!" and hit delete!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Eh, that doesn't count. Most people don't post under their real names and give every detail of their lives... privacy isn't a lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    One client who fired me was Duke Energy.
    Not enough information! I googled, "Environmental... Fired....Duke Energy... Lie" and I couldn't figure out who you are.

Are you lying or is Duke Energy lying?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

[QUOTE=NorthwoodsRider;6703021Sometimes I think there should be a manditory "adult user" course in the same, because I find many adults make way too much of themselves available on line.[/QUOTE]

Why ruin the fun of watching people acquire common sense the hard way?

Seriously. I don't know whether people who lie in writing/on the interwebz are exceptionally stupid or feel uber-entitled to f-ups and forgiveness. Do you guys know which motive is at work?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I admit it: I lie online.

My mare does not actually make snarky princess remarks at me when I do something stupid, although my blog might lead you to believe otherwise. The stupid things are true, though.

I think the reality is that my online persona (particularly via the blog) sounds more confident and (questionably) funnier than I come across in real life.

I'm not lying -- I'm just a better after-the-fact writer than I am an in-the-moment talker.

The important details that I choose to share are true. My real name and some pictures are on my blog. I'm not hiding who I am, and I'm not making up careers/people in my life/events.

But I am never surprised, given my different comfort levels with writing vs. in person communication, when I meet someone I first talked to online and they say I am not exactly what they expected.

Don't need to lie. Have had so many hair-brained experiences, just revealing some of my true stories would make one think I was fibbing!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I have no ability to PM anymore, hate the new format. Duke fired me in 2007, no network news, I am little. I went face to face with some guy who thought I should be able to file an AFC within 10 days. I gave hime the AFC requirements from the Ca. Energy Commission. End of relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by JGHIRETIRE View Post
    ROFLMAO - you only have 1????
    it took only 70 posts for somebody to catch that! (<as you can see I have more than one)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I am slightly younger, prettier, and thinner, but that's just how I think of myself. I'm always a little surprised when I look in the mirror and see this old, fat, tired chick staring back at me.
    I don't think that counts as lying though. After all, on CoTH I hardly ever need to convince people I'm young, cute, and skinny. No one here cares about that.
    I'm definitely wittier, but that's just because I have time to think of a good answer, unlike IRL when you always think of the right thing to say too late to say it
    Holy crap, how does Darwin keep missing you? ~Lauruffian