The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thoroughbred Pedigree

I just bought this horse and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about his pedigree. I have been able to find all kinds of racing stats and everything, but I was really looking for things like temperament, athletic ability (in things other than racing - jumping, dressage, etc) and whatnot that get passed along.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/symbia

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedoblivion View Post
    I just bought this horse and I was wondering if anyone knows anything about his pedigree. I have been able to find all kinds of racing stats and everything, but I was really looking for things like temperament, athletic ability (in things other than racing - jumping, dressage, etc) and whatnot that get passed along.

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/symbia

Thanks!
    Your horse has the same sire as mine (Devil His Due). Best horse I have ever owned, although he is sensitive and has a lot of opinions. Smart, smart, smart.

Quote Originally Posted by FineAlready View Post
    Your horse has the same sire as mine (Devil His Due). Best horse I have ever owned, although he is sensitive and has a lot of opinions. Smart, smart, smart.
    What do you do with him? I've only had this guy for about 3 weeks, but I'm in love! He's very smart and willing, but surprisingly lazy (which is fine with me!). I've been reading that Devil His Due had a nasty temperament, but he didn't pass it on if that's the case.

I had a racing mare by Devil His Due, and she was an absolute dream to do everything with. She was sweet, affectionate, good to handle on the ground, good to gallop. We only had her for, I think, 5 races, and she gave us 4 thirds! Looking back, I wish we'd kept her to breed, but we didnt' start breeding for quite a while after we sold her.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

I visited the farm that stands Devil His Due a number of years ago. He was a nice guy to handle and view. He was my favorite. I love his "type" -- very much like my foundation mare and her produce. He seemed friendly and well mannered to me. I patted him alot without incident.
    PennyG

Quote Originally Posted by hauntedoblivion View Post
    What do you do with him? I've only had this guy for about 3 weeks, but I'm in love! He's very smart and willing, but surprisingly lazy (which is fine with me!). I've been reading that Devil His Due had a nasty temperament, but he didn't pass it on if that's the case.
    Ha, what do I do with him? That is a good question! I bought him to be a hunter, and that's how he is trained and that's more or less what we do at home (jump around small courses like a hunter). He is seven years old and has had some unfortunate injuries, none of which I think are related to his breeding (pulled a suspensory, lacerated a hock badly, a fall while lunging with a trainer...). Anyway, he has not shown yet due to some bad luck and bad timing. Now I have him at an eventing barn. I still think I might someday show him as a hunter. The one and only show he attended was where he lacterated his hock...less than two hours after arriving at the show grounds (and it was an AA show, so that was an expensive injury in more ways than one!). That whole experience sort of soured me on showing him, although he is a more than capable mount. I have ridden him in dressage clinics for fun. I might even try eventing someday if I get brave enough!

He is not nasty, but he is quirky and requires a lot of very specific management. He also tends towards lazy, but he does need to be ridden 5-6 days a week and get a lot of turnout to maintain sanity. He doesn't need to work hard those 5-6 days, necessarily, but he does need to get tacked up, get out, and do something. He is a bit of a dominant personality, and WILL threaten and try to intimidate if given the chance. I do a lot of ground work for manners purposes with him.

He's been a really rewarding horse. I've had him for four years, and I'm really glad to have him.