The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

JP Korsteel makes a relatively inexpensive Mullen mouth Pelham. I'm not a big fan of the double jointed ones.

The thing I like about Pelhams is the ability to ride in a soft mouthpiece in essentially a snaffle when the horse is being good. But you have the curb rein you can bring into play when the horse quits listening. My friends OTQH goes well in one. We've got him to the point now that in most situations he can actually just go in a French link snaffle. It's a nice transitional bit if you want to actually train the horse to behave and not just put some strong bit in its mouth which often spiral into stronger and stronger bits as the horse learns to ignore them.

It's really not that difficult to learn to ride with two reins. I was taught how as a little kid with Pelhams on the Saddlebreds. I taught my friend how last year when her gelding was doing his ALL THE THINGS MEAN RUN. It's mostly in a snaffle now, but we sometimes (like last night....) revisit that Pelham.

That is what I like about the Pelham. It's not that I CAN'T ride with two reins -- I can, I just don't want to, ROFL!

I don't like riding with the double reins long term. My Arab goes either bitless (this has been 4 years in the making and I have done ALL of his training with the intent of ultimately being able to ride him bitless in all situations) or in a simple oval mouth eggbutt snaffle (he doesn't like the flat link on a French link) on a loose rein.

I use the Pelham as a means to an end. My ultimate goal for any horse I am training is to be safe/sane enough to ride bitless in any situation. I like the Pelham because it gives the flexibility to ride on mostly that snaffle rein, but to have that curb as backup for those come to Jesus meetings that are occasionally necessary in the beginning. As time goes on, I ride more and more on the snaffle and will take the curb rein off all together. Then I progress to a mullen baucher (actually a Pelham I had cut down because I can't find anyone who actually *makes* a mullen baucher). Then I usually go to a French link or oval mouth snaffle. I find the *majority* of horses I've worked with do really well with this progression.

Just tell yourself that the two reins aren't *forever*, they're just *for right now*. Sure they're a PITA, but its a means to an end.

Hahahah, fair enough. Makes sense!