The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I didn't post the 27th Adoptable Horse of December yesterday thanks to my travels, so here he is today. Galahad is going up for adoption today, in fact! He's an approx. 2 1/2-3 year old, grade gelding (we suspect QH/TB cross). He's was gelded in November 2012 but has never known he was a boy. He's sweet and quiet, and he started learning to longe in his previous foster home. His current foster home continues to work with him and will start him under saddle soon if he isn't adopted quickly. He's got potential as a hunter, hunter pleasure, or western pleasure horse for open shows or a nice trail horse - he just needs someone to train him. His adoption fee is $300 and he's located near Spring, TX.

His webpage is at http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/inde...hs-669-galahad

(This is another one I fostered for a month or two, and I really loved him... such a sweet guy!)
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

The 28th Adoptable Horse of December is Miss Buttons - another horse I got to foster for a while! She's an approximately 7-8 year old, grade, mare (I think she's at least part TB) who stands between 15.2-15.3 hh. When Miss Buttons arrived at her previous foster home, she was a bit standoffish. But with daily handling, she became much more friendly. She can be a little hard to catch at first, but once she understands the routine she’s easy to catch and will always come for food. She is learning how to longe and knows how to carry a saddle. She’s not sure about wearing a bit yet, so her foster home is working with her. She spent a month and a half with a trainer for ground work, and she is a sensitive and insecure soul and needs someone willing to be patient with her and bring her along. Her foster home says she is a gorgeous mover with loads of potential - she also really enjoys working and will try hard for a quiet handler. She's located in Hockley, Texas and her adoption fee is $300.

Her webpage is at http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/inde...3-miss-buttons

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Do you have any adoption results you can share with us? What a nice way to showcase these horses. I wish I had the time, money, and energy for another, but I am at my limit. I wish you and the horses all the best!

The 29th Adoptable Horse of December is Scarlett. She is an approximately 14-15 year old, 15.2 hh, Arabian mare. Scarlett’s former adopter worked with her. He taught her to flex on the ground and give to pressure, to stand for saddling, and he rode her a few times in a saddle and rope halter. He rode both in an arena and out in pasture. However Scarlett had not been worked with in a while when she arrived back at the rescue. Her first foster home says she’s easy to saddle and longes beautifully. She throws her head up when anyone tries to bridle her, so her foster home is working her through this issue. She says that Scarlett is not a spooky or goofy horse, and she could make someone a nice pleasure or trail horse with a little work. Her adoption fee is $300 and she's located in Ennis, Texas.

Her webpage is at http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/inde...s-353-scarlett

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Do you have any adoption results you can share with us? What a nice way to showcase these horses. I wish I had the time, money, and energy for another, but I am at my limit. I wish you and the horses all the best!
    I don't have results yet - most of our volunteers have taken time off for the holidays. December is traditionally a -very- slow adoption time for us (both Dec. and January - have been so for the entire 14 years I've been involved in rescue). I know we've gotten some adoption applications from people who saw our 31 days of adoptable horses, and we've got a couple of horses going to homes this weekend (hopefully). I'll update after everyone is back and I can get a run-down on the statuses of all the applications.

The 30th Adoptable Horse of December is Hi Silks. She's a grade mare, likely a TB/QH cross. When High Silks arrived, she was not even halter broke when she arrived. She spent time with a trainer last year, but she was still very green when she moved to her new foster home in October. Her new foster home has been working with her, and she thinks she has potential as an all-around, open show horse. She's doing very well under saddle. She’s a very pretty and elegant mare. She's located in Ennis, Texas and her adoption fee is $300.

http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/inde...s-387-hi-silks

The final Adoptable Equine of December is one who is dear to my heart. This is The Easter Colt - he was born 15 minutes to Easter this year. His dam was pregnant when she was seized and my husband and I helped her foal. Easter attended the Bluebonnet Horse Expo where he was adopted, but he was returned about a week ago (no fault of his). He knows how to lead, tie, load, stand for the farrier. His dam is stocky and about 15-15.2hh, and he'll probably look a lot like her when he grows up. He has enormous potential and has always had the best of care. His adoption fee is waived, but his adopter will be required to have him gelded and provide proof of gelding (if he's gelded before he's adopted, he'll have an adoption fee). He's located in Leander, Texas.

His webpage is http://www.bluebonnetequine.org/inde...ehs-652-easter

You guys had asked for an update - and I finally have had time to put one together. The 31 Days of Adoptable horses really increased interest in our horses, brought new 'fans' to our Facebook page, and has resulted in some adoptions (with some more pending).

Jackson, Mister, and Easter have been adopted.
    Chachi, Taffy, Whisper, Wonky, and Scarlett have adoptions pending.

I know that's not HUGE numbers, but December and January are normally very slow months for us so having some adoptions and more adoptions pending this time of the year is huge!